• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Did I do this activation thing right?

zachms

Mar 6, 2010
So I've never bought a phone outside a carrier store before and never activated one myself AND never been on a GSM network.

My subsidized nexus one arrived today and I went to Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone. and went to activate, it began porting my number and informed me that it could take up to 24 hours. That's all.

At no point was I asked to pick which plan I wanted to use or asked to do anything with T-Mobile, did I skip a step? My verizon Eris is still working beautifully at this point while I fervently re-download all my apps on my new Nexus One.

So I've never bought a phone outside a carrier store before and never activated one myself AND never been on a GSM network.

My subsidized nexus one arrived today and I went to Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone. and went to activate, it began porting my number and informed me that it could take up to 24 hours. That's all.

At no point was I asked to pick which plan I wanted to use or asked to do anything with T-Mobile, did I skip a step? My verizon Eris is still working beautifully at this point while I fervently re-download all my apps on my new Nexus One.

Well when you buy the phone subsidized.. it gives you this message:

"After you receive your Nexus One, activation of the phone will transfer your mobile phone number to T-Mobile and terminate your current wireless service plan. If you are still under contract, you may be charged an early termination fee by your current wireless service provider. We can check your current phone number's eligibility now. Your number will not be transferred until after you have received and activated your Nexus One."

So i am guessing you will be contacted by tmobile to determe your plans:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones