• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Did I just screw the pooch?

Droidmaniac

Jan 21, 2010
I've had DroidMod for a while, installed Titanium Backup, Rom Manager, etc... Played around and used Rom Mgr to try Bugless Beast and have had that for a while. Restored back and forth to DroidMod (which was actually not bad, after all). Saw the option on Rom Manager to try Froyo 2.2, rooted/unrooted option. I had read about how smooth it was so gave it a shot, planning to stick with the rooted option, however, the "option" was never presented.

Now I am on Froyo, unrooted.
Rom Manager, setcpu, tethering, etc no longer works.

For the record, Froyo on it's own simply sucks. Camera and gallery are crap. Droid with Froyo is a slow loading slug. Rooting and installing a custom rom will spoil you if you haven't done it yet.

Is there an easy way to get back my beloved root??:(

I personally have nothing against RSD Lite. But I have been using it for years and years and understand (and experienced) the 'finickyness' of it. And that is why I usually try to find another solution that doesn't involve RSD Lite. Why? Because I have seen way too many problems with those who don't understand how powerful (meaning how quick it could turn your phone into a brick) it is, and then those who have in the past thrown it out as a 'fix-all' solution to any and every problem that one was having with their A85. RSD Lite is, after all, Motorola proprietary service software (hence the 'batwing' logo) and was never intended to be released to the pubic.

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
Personally, I'm in the same boat as john. RSD Lite has worked on both x86 and x64 Windows 7 for me, and x86 Windows XP without any issues.

Are you sure you can brick your phone with RSD Lite though? I mean, I don't plan to try this any time soon, but if you pull the USB plug out while RSD Lite is flashing your phone, it's not like RSD Lite is touching the bootloader, so couldn't you just boot back into the bootloader and start the flashing process again?

Upvote 0
I just can't imagine why it would even touch the bootloader, personally. And if it doesn't, then it shouldn't harm anything. It should be like accidentally turning your computer off while formatting the hard drive and installing a new operating system. You know, short of cutting off power while flashing the BIOS... but anyway, we won't know until someone tries it out and posts up a video. ;)

Upvote 0
Yes I am absolutely positive you can brick your phone with RSD Lite. The fact that you (shadow) and john have had no problems with using it is part of the YMMV factor. With our Moto A855 Droid phones they can be bricked by using a .sbf file that is corrupted during download, but the more popular 'method' is for the usb cord to get 'accidently' disconnected during flashing. The former is probably worse than the latter. And sometimes either situation _might_ be recovered with a full .sbf file.

But for you shadow, I must explain to you what flashing a (full) .sbf file using RSD Lite is. RSD Lite is Motorola proprietary software. If you have it on your computer you will see that this is so by the 'batwings' logo. A full .sbf file contains EVERYTHING. The bootloader, baseband, recovery, system.

I would go on, but this is all I will post for now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones