Did you get used to the size?

Last Updated:

1. Zerg

Zerg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone, I am going to be purchasing a new phone soon. So for the past two weeks I have been studying and comparing all of the different Android phone models to make a wise decision. On one hand I really like the size of the DX for browsing the internet, text messaging, youtube videos ect. But on the other hand it also feels a little big to me for a phone (how big it felt in my hand). I was just curious how many of you also felt it was big when you first purchased it? Did you get used to the size of it after awhile? I'm thinking one reason it could feel big to me could be because of my current phone which is a dinosaur Moto Krzr.

I also had another question on a different matter. I am a little confused about updates and newer versions of Android OS. How long will they continue to have updates for the DX? Because the other thing that really set me back about the DX was the UI. I felt like the Sense UI with the Dinc was far superior, not only in looks but features and usability (Leap feature, copy/paste mechanics , ect.). Will the Android OS continue to improve and update the UI of the DX to maybe have those nice features that the Sense UI has in the future?

Advertisement
  2. RJZdroidx

RJZdroidx Member

personally i love the size...it is a beautiful screen to show off...and for me being 55 years young , it really is nice to be able to see the screen,,,

3. fydave

fydave Active Member

As far as the size goes, for me it wasn't really a matter of getting used to it because I sort of fell in love with the screen from the moment I really got to play around with it.

I've had a whole myriad of devices in the last three years: iPhones, Blackberry's of all sizes, shapes, and colors, other Android devices, Sony Ericssons, among many others.

I can't stress enough how much I appreciate the screen size. In fact, if the DX had a 5" screen, I'd probably love it even more.

As far as the user interface, I've had phones with the Sense UI and about the only thing I really appreciated on them was the clock/weather widget. I honestly enjoy the user interface of the DX as it is.

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

I have no issues whatsoever with the size of the Droid X... it fits well in my hand and has proven itself to be one heck of a reliable phone in the time that I've had it.

5. shh

shh Well-Known Member

I recently came from the Eris which is a tiny phone compared to the X and was also concerned by the size of the X. However, I find the readability to be so much superior to the Eris that I would never go for a smaller phone. I've also owned the Nexus and the Dinc. The X feels about the same width as the Nexus. The Dinc flet similar to the Eris except the length was greater. Even with the X in a shell/holster it feels reasonably comfortable.

I feel pretty confident that with the Froyo update and future hacking that the X will be capable for a long time.

6. bgillyjcu

bgillyjcu Well-Known Member

I am so used to it I think it is small. I'm not kidding. Honestly a THIN 5inch screen might not be out of the question next.

I wouldn't want much wider (maybe 5mm more at most), and NO thicker...if anything thinner.

7. lakai113

lakai113 Well-Known Member

never bothered me from the start...

8. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Here we go again, with the big questions....

I never thought it was big enough. Five inches is a nice start.

9. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

That's what she said.

10. Zerg

Zerg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah sorry, I know you guys must get questions regarding the size all the time here.

11. JustinHEMI

JustinHEMI Well-Known Member

Yes, I got used to it. Problem is, I am so used to it, that I am afraid I won't ever be able to go to a smaller phone. So, I am hoping the continue the "X" line in similar sizes.

12. simollie

simollie Well-Known Member

I like the size too, definitely good enough as an ebook reader or video player. It doesn't feel that big in my hands (I have small hands). Its width is about the same as my old Q and it's actually thinner. The only thing is that it's much taller that you may have trouble pressing the power button at the top without moving the phone in your hand.

13. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

hats what im worried about, in a year or two will we still see 4.3" or bigger screens? I wouldn't want to go any smaller

14. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Check out the Fascinate as well. It has a 4" S-AMOLED screen that is right in between the Droid Incredible and the X. It is thin and light, and has rounded corners so the form factor feels very good.

A lot of people here will say that the Fascinate feels flimsy, etc. but I had it over a week and it is not weak or flimsy in the least.

15. Order No.925

Order No.925 Active Member

You will definetly get used to the size. It works amazingly well when browsing the net and comes in handy when you take pictures especially the panaramic mode. The size wont be a problem after u mess around with it.

16. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

I never had an issue with the size and I came from an iPhone. It's really not all that large in my opinion.

17. bgillyjcu

bgillyjcu Well-Known Member

Damn...that was going to be my comeback!

18. bostoniansurvivor

bostoniansurvivor Well-Known Member

it took me about ten seconds to get used to and fall in love with the size of the X. I love it. Even thought it's larger it still fits quite nicely in the pocket.

19. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with the size and that was my main concern about the phone. But with that said, they could have made it 1/2 inch smaller by moving the physical buttons over toward the screen. They possibly could have made it a full inch smaller if you look at the phone in relation to the size of the screen. OR, they could have made the screen almost a full inch longer. Depends on how you look at it.

Could have made: Funny how all that lined up :)

20. zandroidx

zandroidx Well-Known Member

The size is beautiful. I was concerned before I bought it. I even bought the leather holster for it. I haven't used the holster since July. I keep it in my pocket, no issues whatsoever because it is so thin.

21. _Aardvark

_Aardvark Well-Known Member

We're a little off topic, but I totally agree. The area where the Verizon logo appears under the screen bothers me. I would love a phone with the same size screen, but without the back hump and less bevel around the screen. I want the front to be all-screen as much as possible.

22. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

It fits in my pocket better with the body glove case than my old blackberry did without a case.

23. someotherguy

someotherguy Well-Known Member

I'm so used to it that everything else seems so small. I got my Zune HD out of the drawer the other day and was like wtf how did I do anything on this.

24. Chemist Errant

Chemist Errant Active Member

Honestly, I hope they go bigger with phones in the future. I still have space in my pocket for a bigger screen.

25. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

Chics dig it in my pocket....................

Is that a DroidX or are you just happy to see me ;)