• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disable Software Updates (in an effort to keep Soundcamp)?

G0spelGirl

Lurker
Dec 5, 2018
Hi there! I purchased my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 specifically for it's professional audio technology, combined with the ability to use the Soundcamp app. I have done some of my best recordings on Soundcamp, and use it on a regular basis.

I was absolutely crushed when I opened Soundcamp on my phone a few weeks ago- only to receive a notification that read as follows:

Dear Samsung Soundcamp Customer,
Thank you for your continued support of the Samsung Soundcamp service.
We regret to inform you that as of December 28, 2018, the Samsung Soundcamp service will no longer be available.

Please refer to the following information regarding the end of the Soundcamp service:
1. On December 28, the distribution of Soundcamp from Galaxy Apps and Google Play will cease. However, you can continue to use the Soundcamp app, add-ons, and content already downloaded on your phone even after the service is terminated.

2. If you replace your device or update your OS, Soundcamp will not be available and will not be supported anymore. (The Soundcamp app, add-ons, and content will not be supported on Android Pie OS version)

3. Please back up your data before deleting Soundcamp
(Soundcamp > Project menu > Select project file > More > Export > Save file)
(File Location: My Files app > Internal memory > Soundcamp folder)

We appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you.
The Samsung Soundcamp Team
I have been desperate to do anything in an effort to prevent my phone from updating its software system. My phone has never given me any options in my settings, regarding turning off automatic updates. And in the past it has always updated the software automatically, without my consent. Whenever I have received the notification for an update, I am only given the "Remind me later", or "Update" option.

After researching ways to disable this automatic updating feature- I read an article that suggested I turn on "Developer Mode" in the settings. And I did just that. By doing so, it gave me the option to turn off "Auto update system."
I was convinced that my problem was solved, only to be notified a week later about another software update... and surely enough after leaving my phone for a period of time- I returned to find that it had indeed updated. PRAISE THE LORD, that this wasn't an update for the Android Pie OS version mentioned in Soundcamp notification (shown above). While I am thankful, I know that it is only a matter of time before it asks me to update again.

Is rooting my device the only option for preventing these software updates? If so, I am willing- but am new to rooting. If someone could walk me through the steps of doing so, or how to stop software updates- it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Sorry for such a long post! Thank you for your time :)

Is this "Soundcamp" a system app? I ask because that announcement talks about distribution through the Samsung app store and Google Play Store. If it's not a system app (or you can find the apk somewhere - be careful where, as you don't want to download from a site that has infected the app with malware) then a system update won't remove it.

I don't understand why turning off auto system updates didn't stop it, unless you bought your phone from a US carrier - they often take steps to make it impossible to refuse updates.

I'm afraid I know nothing about rooting Samsungs, but if you want to follow that route it may well depend on what version of Note 8 you have (certainly on whether it's North American or rest of the world, possibly on whether it's a carrier handset and if so which).

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
It's a soundcamp issue, not Samsung

Just to be clear, the "soundcamp" the OP is referring to is definitely a Samsung issue,
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.musicstudio
It's made by Samsung, and is/was only available for Samsung devices.

I don't think it's a system app though, and it's also distributed via Samsung's own Galaxy Apps.

I've installed Soundcamp on my Galaxy S7, and when I started it, it gave the same...
Dear Samsung Soundcamp Customer,
Thank you for your continued support of the Samsung Soundcamp service....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It did not come pre-installed on my phone, if that is what you mean by "system app." I downloaded it from the Galaxy app store. And to answer your other question Hadron- my phone is with AT&T, and I live in the US.

The reason I thought it would remove the app once it software updated, was because of the notification on Soundcamp which read "... 2. If you replace your device or update your OS, Soundcamp will not be available and will not be supported anymore. (The Soundcamp app, add-ons, and content will not be supported on Android Pie OS version)..."

I assumed that updating to this "Android Pie OS" (9.0 ?) would remove the app and or disable it's use. But are you are saying that it should only discontinue further support of the app?

Thank you all so very much!!!

Upvote 0
Not exactly. It really depends on what "not supported" means.

Best case is "no further development and you won't get any help, but it will still work for a while". But if there are no updates then sooner or later it will become incompatible with the OS, it's just a matter of time. It might take years, or it might take months.

Worst case is that they already know that it won't work with Android 9 but just don't want to say it plainly. In which case an update to 9 won't remove the app but might break it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones