• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Disabling Capacitive Button(s)

jujumane

Jun 1, 2015
Miami, FL
I'm flashed on the latest CM12.1 (RC 2), and I've got soft key buttons enabled. The wonder CM brings, is that it offers what I've wanted, which is the switching of the back button and the menu button.

Because of this, I am completely willing to replace the capacitive keys with the soft keys. Only, I haven't quite figured out how to do it right.

Steps:
1) Access R/W permissions on the /system folder though flashing the Switcher.zip
2) Go to /system/usr and click to edit Generic.kl
3) Add a "#" in front of BACK, HOME, and MENU
4) Reboot

So, instead of it actually disabling anything I listed, it disabled the power key. Of course, I could luckily still hard reboot the phone. But this seems to happen no matter how I edit the General.kl file.

Also, another issue would be turning off the backlight for the capacitive buttons. Any tips on that?

I'm flashed on the latest CM12.1 (RC 2), and I've got soft key buttons enabled. The wonder CM brings, is that it offers what I've wanted, which is the switching of the back button and the menu button.

Because of this, I am completely willing to replace the capacitive keys with the soft keys. Only, I haven't quite figured out how to do it right.

Steps:
1) Access R/W permissions on the /system folder though flashing the Switcher.zip
2) Go to /system/usr and click to edit Generic.kl
3) Add a "#" in front of BACK, HOME, and MENU
4) Reboot

So, instead of it actually disabling anything I listed, it disabled the power key. Of course, I could luckily still hard reboot the phone. But this seems to happen no matter how I edit the General.kl file.

Also, another issue would be turning off the backlight for the capacitive buttons. Any tips on that?
I posted a tutorial HERE on how to fully disable the hardware keys on any ROM for the zmax. It also covers how to enable the navigation bar, which it looks like you have already figured out. @Ethanbanker2428 is currently working on figuring out a way to disable the button backlights and cook all three of these things into one mod. Until then, you can use Xposed with GravityBox to disable the button backlights. This option is located in the display tweaks section of GravityBox.

Reactions: FateZero
Upvote 0
I posted a tutorial HERE on how to fully disable the hardware keys on any ROM for the zmax. It also covers how to enable the navigation bar, which it looks like you have already figured out. @Ethanbanker2428 is currently working on figuring out a way to disable the button backlights and cook all three of these things into one mod. Until then, you can use Xposed with GravityBox to disable the button backlights. This option is located in the display tweaks section of GravityBox.
Just wanted to say thanks for the tutorial. I used it and it worked great.

Reactions: Masterchief87
Upvote 0
I got a bootloop when I tried a zip so back to the drawing board

Upvote 0
What exactly did the zip do? Was it supposed to disable the buttons, enable the navbar, disable the backlights, or all three? If you can pm me a copy I can take a look at it.
No see I personally wanted to use the softkeys coming form the moto x. So I found a zip for the one plus one and it worked. But when I went to find it again I couldn't so I used a different one it didn't work though

Upvote 0
What exactly did the zip do? Was it supposed to disable the buttons, enable the navbar, disable the backlights, or all three? If you can pm me a copy I can take a look at it.
No see I personally wanted to use the softkeys coming form the moto x. So I found a zip for the one plus one and it worked. But when I went to find it again I couldn't so I used a different one it didn't work though

Upvote 0
I think I may have figured out a way to disable the button backlights without xposed, which was the last piece of the puzzle. I am currently trying to re-root my phone so I can test it out but that is being a pain in the butt. Do you want to try?
Yea sure. What is it. I think I stumbled upon the other zip like through 200 pages of one plus one forum so I'm having a hard time finding it

Upvote 0
If all else fails, check the Play Store for screen dimmer - a number of apps claim to turn off the capacitive button backlight. I used to use one on my HTC that had buttons fwiw, and recent comments on a few of these indicate that the feature still works.
I tried a couple apps from the play store but sadly they didn't work for me.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I can't really tell if It worked. I'll try the gravitybox method and see if I notice the difference
I just did it and it didn't stick. That it turns out is a file that gets generated whenever the phone boots up so any changes made are only temporary. It did work until I rebooted my phone though. Also, the only way I was able to edit the file was by using terminal commands to copy it to SD card then edit it then use terminal to put it back. Root explorer failed and wouldn't let me copy it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones