• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disabling Priority/Important labels & inboxes in GMail?

I want to get rid of the 'important' markers on my phone! I don't use them and have them turned off online but they insist on showing in the GMail app.
I have my GMail set to not use the priority inbox, everything goes to one inbox with no markers. I want the same for my phone.
I've looked around on the interwebs and all I find are similar complaints but no solution.
Does anyone know of a way to make the GMail app for Android hide the markers that I don't use or want?
In case it matters, I am using classic GMail still but have tried the new one...neither seems to matter on the phone side.
Perhaps I am missing a simple setting somewhere but I have tinkered until my tinkerer got sore...

I don't know that you can disable the display of the "important" markers in the Gmail app on Android, but a workaround would be to force all messages to be "not important". To do this, setup a filter in Gmail (via your desktop) so that messages that do not contain "lkjsldfiu" are never marked important. This way, no messages will ever be marked important, and the markers will never appear.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
I know they can be filtered off, I was just hoping that there was a way to just get rid of them in general. It's so annoying that the app no longer does what the desktop does. The app should mirror the desktop's settings, not just have it's own willy-nilly hard coded things that you can't bypass.
I can see where folks would like them, I don't though and should be able to have the option of having them or not.

edit: Actually, they can't be totally removed even with filters. They still show, they are not yellow to indicate important but they are there.
I just re-added my filter (anything sent to me) to not be marked as important. It does still get the stupid little mark, just not an important mark. lol. Just bugs me...

Upvote 0
These labels are completely useless to me and force me to look in three different places before I can be sure I've seen all my email. I will try the filter idea but that's a kludge and shouldn't be necessary. Isn't it funny how such a successful company as Google can continue to release the lowest quality product possible that doesn't actually cost them a critical number of customers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones