• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Do all popular ROMS work on every phone?

appycamper

Lurker
Oct 28, 2012
Do all popular ROMS such as paranoidandroid, AOKP, SLimbean work on all new phones,
OR does a developer have to charge things to make work with the custom firmware of that specific model?
The model i speak of specifally for my use is the pre-rooted Umi Zero.

Also will any rooted device run xposed and gravitybox straight away, no glitches? OR is it differnet for every model as the companys firmware contains different settings/additional features that might have conflictions with gravitybox settings?

Can a rooted device download a custom ROM like lets say slimbean or miui AND also run xposed with GBox together and be glitch free, or is this a tricky process that must be monitored for any conflictions/glitches.
(like id like the interface/logos of MIUI but with all the settings that come with graitybox like pie control.

1) Nope, a custom ROM is specific to that device, and must be built specifically to work with another device.

2) Any rooted device should be able to run xposed. However, conflicts can always arise with some of the more exotic devices since chances are the developer hasn't tested the app with those devices.

3) Custom Roms and xposed/gbox generally speaking play well together. However, depending on the device/testing there may be issues.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
thank you Mod Rxpert for the quick reply, So i must wait for some developers to release a stable version of popular ROMs for the Umi Zero? I thought CYanogen and Paranoidandroid would work on any kitkat device?

Before your reply i actually created a thread asking for ROMs..i hope this is ok to do.
http://androidforums.com/threads/umi-zero.887599/
It seems the Zero has sold alot of units and comes pre-rooted so alot of noobs like me will be interested in new ROMs for it.

I must give xposed install later and try it for the first time.
the current firmware for Zero isnt finished yet though, I dont think Umi will release a better stockROMfirmware until January however.
using UMI stock Rom, will it be a problem updating the firmware when Exposed settings already applied, will I have to restore to stock and update then install xposed again?
EDIT: their stock is Vanilla i think

I suspect there will be a few custom roms available over the christmas time for the Zero surely with the number of units selling fast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
CM and Paranoid have been built for many devices (and unofficial builds for more), but nevertheless they do need to be built for each different device model.

I'd be wary of applying official updates to a modified system. The update will probably be a patch rather than a full replacement ROM, so it will be designed to be applied to unmodified software - it might work, but it might go wrong in unpredictable ways.

Reluctant as I am to contradict Rx, I think it's not quite true that Xposed will work on any rooted device. It should work on any Android 4 ROM using the Dalvik runtime (the default for Android versions 1 to 4), but won't yet work with the new ART runtime, and hence will not work with Android 5, nor with a KitKat ROM where the user chooses to use the ART runtime (but while some KK ROMs give you that choice, I'm not aware of any which force you to use it). Now if you are new the Android that is probably all gibberish, but there is quite a long thread discussing it here.

Upvote 0
thanks the the replies guys.
Umi Zero is the device im using, its running KK but a close to vanilla I think.
xposed and GB and Xblast are running fine.
Not sure i should be running all xblastTools, GB and Xuimod together but it shouldnt conflict or run into problems as i only have Xuimod for the battery bar and scroll text animation.
And statusbar/lockscreen stuff all on GB. Onlything i set on xblast was the side app bar which is on left and maybe conflict with the pie bar from GB? altought i set to different sides and seem to work fine.
Am i being unsafe/risking problems using all 3 large tweak-full modules together?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones