• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

do applications ever really "close"?

moveright

Sep 10, 2010
Brand new to droid land, and was wondering...

yesterday I got a droid 2. from playing with it all day, at the end of the day, it seemed overly sluggish. so, I was wondering ,when I am in an application like the browser, to exit it, I just tap the hooked arrow key on the phone, guess it's like a back button. anyhow, I just tap that until I get back to the home screen. so, if I do that for every application I run, does that mean at the days end, I've got however many apps running in the background?

Brand new to droid land, and was wondering...

yesterday I got a droid 2. from playing with it all day, at the end of the day, it seemed overly sluggish. so, I was wondering ,when I am in an application like the browser, to exit it, I just tap the hooked arrow key on the phone, guess it's like a back button. anyhow, I just tap that until I get back to the home screen. so, if I do that for every application I run, does that mean at the days end, I've got however many apps running in the background?

Apps in Android may appear to be "running" in that if you look in a task manager of some sort they'll be listed as active, but that doesn't always mean those apps are actually using resources. Android was written in such a way that apps can be open, as it were, yet sit there dormant until called upon to do something.

If your phone is sluggish, perhaps it's time to reboot. I seem to remember seeing someone mention that the manual for one of the Droids says to reboot the phone once a day. Is this true of your Droid? I'm curious about that.

Something to remember as well, if you have many widgets running, or apps that poll for updates (weather app, email etc.) this can put a load on the system.

In case you're wondering about task killers, take a look at this oft referred to article:

Droid Den - Android Guide: Should I Use a Task Killer - Droid Den

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones