Do different ROMs affect Incredible's battery charge speed?

Last Updated:

1. rbonafied

rbonafied Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I'm trying to understand a few things about ROMs, the froyo upgrade from Verizon and battery charge speed. It's no secret the recent froyo update extended the time it takes to reach a full charge. Is this a function of the ROM they deployed, the kernel or something else? I hope I'm using the right terminology!

Thanks,
    R

Advertisement
  2. KzA

KzA Well-Known Member

I have no idea, but I woudl sure love to know. According to my SystemPanel logs my extended batt takes like 5-6 hours to charge... Its absolutely ridiculous

3. exmobR

exmobR Active Member

What kinda battery are you using? :|

4. AGWednesday

AGWednesday Well-Known Member

This isn't going to be much of an answer because it's just my observation, but one of the first things I noticed after putting the SkyRaider rom on my phone was that the phone SEEMED to charge a lot faster. And it's been consistently faster for weeks.

I didn't expect that little light turned green so soon that first time (heck, I only saw it by luck, really), so this ain't my bias talking.

Edit:

The more I think about it, the more the idea of faster charging makes sense. I have SetCPU set to underclock my CPU whenever the screen is off, and I know that makes a big difference in battery consumption. If actual battery consumption while charging was lowered, then it makes sense that my phone charged considerably faster.

5. lentm

lentm Member

i would say it depends on the kernels.

6. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

correct it would be more upto the kernel, and yes different kernels can affect it

7. KzA

KzA Well-Known Member

^

HTC 2150 mAH... charge time became drastically longer after Froyo OTA

8. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

King tweaked his recent batch of kernels specifically to address the charge speed.