• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do I have to use different gmail account for privacy?

philessense

Nov 22, 2011
Is there anyway to prevent Google from putting all my Picasa photos on my phone? I didn't realize it would do that and I looked at the "Gallery" for wallpaper and suddenly, my phone was furiously uploading the thousands of photos!

I don't want them on my phone! I have them all locked to "only me" but . . . I'm me! (Picasa did a mad upload of all my photos in the background). I don't have nekkid photos, I simply value my and my friends' privacy.

I have reset the phone and am just putting in a new gmail account, but it just occurred to me that all thousands of contacts will also be lost.

Is there a way to edit those contacts and then import them into my new account? Is there a way to lock my Galaxy S4G from uploading all this?

Thanks

You can set it up so it doesn't automatically upload your photos to Picasa, that isn't mandatory. If you go into the Google+ app, then hit the menu button and settings, if you scroll down there is an option for Instant Upload. Uncheck that, and it won't automatically upload all your pics from your phone to Picasa. Just so you know, it's a two-way street there, and if you delete a photo from your phone, it will also be deleted from your private Picasa folder where they are uploaded. I personally like the instant upload, it's an instant remote backup of my photos, so if anything hapens to my phone before I have a chance to upload them to my computer, they are still safe.

Reactions: philessense
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, Hrethgir. I don't ever upload anything to Picasa, let alone from my phone. In fact, I simply put it on my computer, and then I loaded a small album on the Picasa website. Then, whenever I opened it, it voraciously devoured virtually everything in my computer that's a jpg. Suddenly, I realized I had hundreds of "albums" on the WEB!! Natch, I made some error in setup, but it felt assaultive nevertheless.

I thought the face recognition was fun until I realized they were harvesting faces and email addresses of my students, my family and my friends. It felt like pre-Person-of-Interest! <g> I just don't want 20 years of photos on my telephone!

Thanks for the tip. I'll look for Googel+ to see if I can stop G from devouring.

Any ideas on contacts editing? I've changed to a different account now, but I need some of my contacts.

At present, I'm thinking I should just get another non-T-Mobile freakin iPhone and send back the drone.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones