• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do I need a data plan with an unlocked phone that is NOT branded with AT&T?

rflray18

Lurker
Oct 19, 2012
Ok, I've been researching for the past 2 hours about unlocked phones and data plans. There may already be a post on here, but I probably read it and didn't have my question answered. So here's the deal:

I'm currently on an AT&T family plan, without data.
I do NOT want to add a data plan, but want to use WiFi.

I am looking at an unlocked+unbranded Sony Xperia P. I really want this phone (I have an HTC Freestyle and it's total crap).

I've been reading, like i said, about this topic, and there are literally hundreds of mixed answers. I need a straight-forward answer for this.

IF I BUY THIS UNLOCKED+UNBRANDED ANDROID PHONE, WILL AT&T FORCE ME TO ADD A DATA PLAN, OR CAN I JUST TURN OFF THE 3G AND BE DONE WITH IT FOR NOW

And I don't plan on going to a prepaid service right now; the cost of early termination is pricey.

Thank you for your time.

Ok, I've been researching for the past 2 hours about unlocked phones and data plans. There may already be a post on here, but I probably read it and didn't have my question answered. So here's the deal:

I'm currently on an AT&T family plan, without data.
I do NOT want to add a data plan, but want to use WiFi.

I am looking at an unlocked+unbranded Sony Xperia P. I really want this phone (I have an HTC Freestyle and it's total crap).

I've been reading, like i said, about this topic, and there are literally hundreds of mixed answers. I need a straight-forward answer for this.

IF I BUY THIS UNLOCKED+UNBRANDED ANDROID PHONE, WILL AT&T FORCE ME TO ADD A DATA PLAN, OR CAN I JUST TURN OFF THE 3G AND BE DONE WITH IT FOR NOW

And I don't plan on going to a prepaid service right now; the cost of early termination is pricey.

Thank you for your time.

I believe you can do that. Just make sure your plan doesn't allow data usage at all. If it is allowed, even the odd background data that android sometime uses can cost you a small fortune.
I also want to say that you can use your settings in the phone to never use cell data.

Reactions: rflray18
Upvote 0
I didn't know if somehow it would be embedded in the sim card or not. Verizon just started using sim cards with the thunderbolt.

With AT&T or T-Mobile you can put one of their Sim Cards in any device that is GSM and roll and go with it, they do not even need to know what device you have, that is why it is nice to be with them, just because it's easy and you get a lot of freedom.

I think the sim card is only for the 4G LTE service isn't it?

I know the Sprint LTEvo has a sim for LTE, but its non-removeable.

The Sim Card for Verizon is, yes, just for 4G LTE, it basically allows for the phone to be activated as soon as the sim card is put in, it still will only allow the device to only work on the Verizon network though.

Upvote 0
they do not even need to know what device you have

True. As soon as you pop the sim into another device tho they know it. I have a business account and when I pop my sim into one of my other phones (I have a few ;)), it automatically changes in my account the device that sim is in.

Upvote 0
I am not on AT&T. On my carrier, I have moved sim cards into other phones without difficulties. I do not have a "data plan" but my smartphone can access the network on a per MB basis which is very expensive.

There are two ways around this.

One, I switch off the network on my phone settings. The problem is that when my phone boots ups (which often happens with an Android on its own), it automatically turns on the network and as a result I have unintentially used data.

The second way is to call your network carrier and just ask them to block data to your phone on their end. This will prevent the accidental access to their network.

Upvote 0
True. As soon as you pop the sim into another device tho they know it. I have a business account and when I pop my sim into one of my other phones (I have a few ;)), it automatically changes in my account the device that sim is in.

Well that is if the device is registered in their servers, my friend put a GSM device on Cincinnati Bell, and his device just registered an Unknown haha :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones