• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do I really want an Android Phone?

Why would I get the 4S? What's $100 for something im going to use everyday all the time. I get 2x speed, longer support from Apple, better design, LTE, bigger screen... 4S?-Not for me. And don't complain that the iPhone "cant do 720p". It has RETINA display = NO visible pixels the naked eye. NO point AT ALL in increasing resolution

And the camera is insanely important for me TBH. I love photography.

I made a topic on an Apple fan forum too, so I am getting a mix of both sides. And, this is what I have decided:

I will get the iPhone 5. I'm tired of waiting for the one android phone to be "the one" for me. The rounded backs on android phones is ugly to me too.

With the iPhone 5, for christmas I'm getting a Nexus Tablet (Or hold up until a new Nexus tab?). I feel the combination will bring me just what I want. More capabilities when I use my larger screened tablet, but with an iPhone I have a simple yet great device for being there when I need it all of the time, as a primary device.

Thought about a new nexus and an iPad, but iPads are too limited for the screen real estate.

Sounds like your mind is already made up.

Good luck and buy a case :D

Upvote 0
U
yeah but knowing Apple, it wont stay that way. Soon it should be better than the before Google Maps for the sole reason of turn by turn directions.

Google maps has turn by turn directions. Apple kept that from you because they wanted to be able to charge you for it. Google provides it free for android users.

Including public transport directions, which has been a lifesaver for me moving into a new big city. Google now tells me what buses to take, alerts me when I need to leave in order to catch the bus, and let's me choose my transfers

Upvote 0
Why would I get the 4S? What's $100 for something im going to use everyday all the time. I get 2x speed, longer support from Apple, better design, LTE, bigger screen... 4S?-Not for me. And don't complain that the iPhone "cant do 720p". It has RETINA display = NO visible pixels the naked eye. NO point AT ALL in increasing resolution

And the camera is insanely important for me TBH. I love photography.

I made a topic on an Apple fan forum too, so I am getting a mix of both sides. And, this is what I have decided:

I will get the iPhone 5. I'm tired of waiting for the one android phone to be "the one" for me. The rounded backs on android phones is ugly to me too.

With the iPhone 5, for christmas I'm getting a Nexus Tablet (Or hold up until a new Nexus tab?). I feel the combination will bring me just what I want. More capabilities when I use my larger screened tablet, but with an iPhone I have a simple yet great device for being there when I need it all of the time, as a primary device.

Thought about a new nexus and an iPad, but iPads are too limited for the screen real estate.

In any case, if your planning holds up, the differences and pros and cons, for you, of either system, will become glaringly obvious to you come, say, Easter. And you will 'fall' off the fence, and into one or the other camp (whether you want to or not).
But by then you haven't got a choice anymore because you've already got both a phone and a tablet, and will probably be stuck with them for a couple years.

Also, using two different systems you cannot use apps you buy for the one also on the other device. For everything that you can you will always have to buy 2 apps, not just one...

Have you thought about that?

Upvote 0
Doesn't the new Super AMOLED PLUS display on the SGS3 have a higher Pixel Density than the Retina in the iPhone5?

It does! :D

Some people think that 'Retina technology' is something else than pixel density is. :D They think it's some sort of magic formula. The secret Apple sauce! :D And they parrot Apple's marketing lingo word-for-word without considering what it actually means. When introduced (with the iPhone 4, was it?) it was the display with the highest pixel density. But that's 3 years ago! :D

Upvote 0
Doesn't the new Super AMOLED PLUS display on the SGS3 have a higher Pixel Density than the Retina in the iPhone5?

Actually no, it doesn't.

Here's how it plays out. The iPhone5 has a 4-inch display with 1136 x 640 resolution for a total of 727,040 pixels. That's 326 pixels per inch. The S3 has a 4.8 inch display with 1280 x 720 for a total of 921,600 pixels. That's only 309 pixels per inch.

So, while the SGS3 has a 20% larger screen with 27% more pixels, it's got a lower pixel density. Of course, generally speaking, the human eye cannot discern a difference in clarity for anything above 300 ppi, so whether you have 309 or 326 or 600 pixels per inch, your eye won't know the difference.

Upvote 0
dang never thought about having to buy apps twice... AHH. dangit... well, aren't a lot of android apps free? at least compared the iOS? That'll help I guess. That and I can share with my Dad's Google Acc he uses on his Razr M.

There are a lot of free apps, and Google does some great sales. A few months back there was a big sale to celebrate 10 billion app downloads and a bunch of apps were $0.10. A couple weeks ago it was 25 billion and $0.25. I already had most of the apps I would have bought, but I picked up a couple games with both sales.

On the bright side, I don't ever see Apple making a better OS than Google, you won't have to re buy apps again after that for a while.

Upvote 0
dang never thought about having to buy apps twice... AHH. dangit... well, aren't a lot of android apps free? at least compared the iOS? That'll help I guess. That and I can share with my Dad's Google Acc he uses on his Razr M.

FYI:
I've been using Android for 3 years now and have about 300 apps on my phone – ALL FREE! None paid for! And I've had a fantastic user experience all the way.
Try that with iOS! :D

This from a 28 year Mac veteran, posted from a MacBook Pro...

Upvote 0
Wow! I keep about 100-150 apps on my phone at any given time. Usually 30-50% are paid apps.

I know my example may be on the extreme side. But it IS possible nevertheless, as my example shows. It isn't with iOS. That's my point.

I hate/despise/loathe ads though, and AdFree isn't good enough for me (even with that and my buying apps anytime there is a paid version available, I still see Waaay too many ads)

Any system has its major drawbacks, of course. For Android it's the ads. For iOS it's the users... :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones