• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you plan on activating the evo in the store or at home?

If I had a choice I would like to open it and set-up by myself. But I pre-ordered at Best Buy and they kind of had a fit when I said "so I can pick it up first thing in the morning?"

Clerk: "NO! no we, umm, will call you the night before to set-up your appointment. We don't let you leave without the phone working."

(Yet, 9 months ago, I left a BB with a blackberry curve without the internet on the phone working because they didn't add the data plan to the phone. It took 6 calls to customer care and a long trip to a repair center to figure that one out. )

So yeah, I would like to do it myself!:D

Upvote 0
If I'm just upgrading my Sprint phone, when they activate it in store, my old phone will no longer work correct? All my calls and texts will now go to the EVO.

The reason I ask, is becase I am picking up 2 EVOs (one for me and one for my wife) on my way to work. I don't want to pick her's up then if she will not be able to use her old phone at all that day. If so, I can just pick her's up on the way home from work.

Upvote 0
If I'm just upgrading my Sprint phone, when they activate it in store, my old phone will no longer work correct? All my calls and texts will now go to the EVO.

The reason I ask, is becase I am picking up 2 EVOs (one for me and one for my wife) on my way to work. I don't want to pick her's up then if she will not be able to use her old phone at all that day. If so, I can just pick her's up on the way home from work.

This would be correct. It might take as long as an hour for the port to complete from the other carrier however.

Upvote 0
I'm buying from Sprint telesales. My phone will be activated before shipping. I just need to associate it with my gMail account to complete the process because it's programmed to go to the Welcome Center when first turned on. I'll port after I've set the phone up so I'm in no rush. Might give a few days to check out Sprint coverage where I travel most in NJ, NY, and PA.

Upvote 0
What is the EXACT activation procedure in-store? Does anyone know definitively?

I don't understand why the phone has to be opened. Can't they just scan the ESN off the box and that's that? My only thing is that I'm going to be applying a screen protector, and once dust and fingerprints get on the screen, it's very, very hard to get it completely dust-free and smudge-free again. It's easiest to do it immediately after you peel off the protective plastic.

Upvote 0
I hope your device has a cracked screen in transit. Then we'll see who regrets not allowing the sales rep to open it.

First off, the sales rep happens to be my personal friend and Floor manager lol

Secondly, if it is cracked then all i do is exchange it for a brand new one so yeah nice try but too bad you didn't succeed :eek:

Upvote 0
What is the EXACT activation procedure in-store? Does anyone know definitively?

I don't understand why the phone has to be opened. Can't they just scan the ESN off the box and that's that? My only thing is that I'm going to be applying a screen protector, and once dust and fingerprints get on the screen, it's very, very hard to get it completely dust-free and smudge-free again. It's easiest to do it immediately after you peel off the protective plastic.

omega jst tell them you prefer opening it at home and you will call sprint and do an esn swap with your old cell phone.

Upvote 0
I'm somewhat confused by what I've read in this thread so far. I have a mobile broadband account with Sprint but no data line. I'm looking for a retailer that will sell me the phone at full price with NO contract and NO activation. The no activation part is important because I've been instructed to call Sprint to activate. I basically just want to buy the phone and walk out with it unopened and un-activated. Is there a retailer that will sell me the phone without activating it?

Upvote 0
I think I prefer for them to turn it on etc.. That way I can check for bad *pixies etc... before I leave. That way if it seems bad I can just tell them I don't want that one.

What I don't want is for them to do anything other then turn it on and active it. I will set up all the Google stuff etc...

*I am unsure how many bad pixel phones there will be since HTC seems to have very good quality control. I have one bad pixle on my Pre but you don't notice it in normal use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones