• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you Recommende Galaxy s ?

einsteinz

Nov 28, 2010
Hi everyone

I read a lot about galaxy s. The best hardware smartphone on android. 4" super amoled, fast processor. But kies software seems to have so much problem and software lag scare me a bit. GPS problem but it doesn't bother a lot.

Maybe l'll get desire z instead, 3.7" vs 4", SCLD vs super amoled,heavier but better software.

Any thought ?

Thanks

sorry for my english

To be honest I was concerned before I bought the SGS last month, mainly being like you said, Kies, lag and gps, I can honestly say that my 2.2 has no issues out the box with Kies as it connected and still connects immediately, and gps just works fine, I had some lag but rooted and lag fixed and all is fast now.

Upvote 0
I have the Galaxy S since August and am very happy with it. Had no lag/gps issues on 2.1 (maybe i was lucky) and 2.2 seems very good so far. I did try out the Desire Z which is a very nice device but i just hate that slideout keyboard and once you have beautiful 4" super amoled screen,its hard to like anything else. Would i buy the SGS again?....Absolutely.

Btw....you dont really need kies.

Upvote 0
Thanks for reply

But I don't need kies ?
How update firmware/os and download applications without kies.
Odin ?. If i bought sgs it will be sim ocked and i thnik odin won't work with sim locked.
Sorry , maybe stupid questions but I read on sgs forums and it's hard to have a good idea how works you can update and applications until you use the phone for a while

Upvote 0
But kies software seems to have so much problem and software lag scare me a bit. GPS problem but it doesn't bother a lot.

GPS problem- I cant say as I use it extremey rarely.

Software lag- Looks fine to me but again can't say for sure as I havent used any other smartphones so dont have any other smartphone to compare.

KIES- Personally I have I guess just had a problem 1-2 time in connecting to Kies. Otherwise it has been perfect all the time. Having said that I am using Windows XP and have heard complaints from users with Vista or Windows7.

Upvote 0
GPS problem- I cant say as I use it extremey rarely.

Software lag- Looks fine to me but again can't say for sure as I havent used any other smartphones so dont have any other smartphone to compare.

KIES- Personally I have I guess just had a problem 1-2 time in connecting to Kies. Otherwise it has been perfect all the time. Having said that I am using Windows XP and have heard complaints from users with Vista or Windows7.

GPS - Yes it's disappointing

Lag - Fixed in Froyo

Kies - Who's gonna use it after Froyo?... (unless Gingerbread arrives late next year?)

Upvote 0
There are certain people I would recommend it to, and there are certain people I wouldn't recommend it to. If you don't mind a bit of tinkering and problem-solving, then I say go for it. I can't think of one other Android phone I'd rather have--with perhaps the exception of the Nexus S, which is also made by Samsung. I just want something good--I could care less about perfection as that's usually a facade people project for image purposes only.

However, if you're not the kind of person who wants to fiddle around with things or you aren't too comfortable with technology, you may want to get something else. One of the higher-level HTC phones would serve very well.

And I say all of this as someone who has had problems with Kies.

Upvote 0
There are certain people I would recommend it to, and there are certain people I wouldn't recommend it to. If you don't mind a bit of tinkering and problem-solving, then I say go for it. I can't think of one other Android phone I'd rather have--with perhaps the exception of the Nexus S, which is also made by Samsung. I just want something good--I could care less about perfection as that's usually a facade people project for image purposes only.

However, if you're not the kind of person who wants to fiddle around with things or you aren't too comfortable with technology, you may want to get something else. One of the higher-level HTC phones would serve very well.

And I say all of this as someone who has had problems with Kies.

i agree with slowrain. i am neither beginner nor very good at technology. i have had problems with kies, but i love to tinker with my sgs. in fact i had to flash 2-3 firmwares in a day because i have to try which is better and deleted some files in the system which seemed to have been bricked. as long as you can get it to download mode and recovery, you can always flash firmwares, thanks to odin. now i think i have to stay a while with froyo (xxjpo).

Upvote 0
Cool thanks all

Now I'm hesitate with iphone 4 and galaxy s

Iphone 4:
++
more apps and more quality apps
I read about procamera apps and seems to make nice picture
It could be nice to have a good camera on the hand everytime, everywhere, but still not 100% sure about qualty.

--
Glass more fragile that SGS
Higher price $$$ that SGS
even with jailbroken iphone, it's not comparable to android about tweaking.
3.7" VS 4.0"

Upvote 0
Depends what the user needs, the only down side is the GPS.

Eveything else is great so yes I would recommend it.

i disagree, maybe it depends on your location and perhaps firmware. i admit xxjpu is much faster and accurate with gps but i had to revert back to xxjpo for some reasons. i don't have problem with gps in my location, italy. gps locks in 1 to 2 minutes either i will be using navigon or purely google navigation.

Upvote 0
I Absolutely love the Galaxy S.
I have had it for almost a week and a half and have yet to find a problem with it. Having read a lot about people with concerns about Kies I was also worried before I bought it.
Now I find Kies rather intuitive. I have had no problems with it. I even re-wrote my Contacts list from Kies because it was a lot easier than going through each contact on the phone. It also seems fast to copy music/videos onto the SD card (I put 3 movies on it in about 10 minutes)

With the battery, I went a week without a charger (I left it at home - what an idiot!) and intermittently charged it of a colleagues computer with the data cable. Whilst I was turning it off when at work I still got decent life out of it.

Upvote 0
I definitely wont recommend. Annoying device, you may call it as "unsmart" phone. One can praise the Amoled display but its nothing but an over-saturated and over-contrasted screen. Unnatural.

But it wont be a big problem, your eyes can get used to the Lady Gaga video style eye punch looks.

The problems are technical. Look up the wifi issue thread, sooner or later it will happen. I have it and despite factory reset (advice from the forum) and by that losing all my data my wifi still does not work. Looking up IP address then die off.

In the morning I "wake up" the little f@cking baby and its frozen, half dead while no one touched her all night long. The bitch.

It keeps losing GPRS connection by the hour and you have to dig deep into the otherwise not really intuitive menu system to find the part where you can do settings - strictly on trial-and-error basis. Good that you can make phone calls at least.

Having said that, making a phone call is a pain in the ass. Its a bloody 3 step procedure, and when you expect the call to be executed, you will only get to another cluttered screen where you have to poke another button to finally let the call out. At least the buttons are harsh red and neon green, apparently they wanted to make sure you cant mess them up even if you are an idiot.

I can't count how many times I had to remove battery as nothing else worked. I have Froyo installed (maybe another mistake) and the thing worked fine for a few days, then without warning started to act weird. Its a new phone, not even 2 weeks old.

You want good for yourself? Don't measure LCD size and listen to raving about Amoled. Go and get an iPhone, now I know why I should have done that.

Sorry for the rant folks, this Galaxy S gets on my nerves. I used iPhone 3gs, its slow, it has no fancies like the 4 or this SGS - but reliable. And I am pretty sure the iPhone4 is much more reliable than this fancy plastic piece of cr@p.

Upvote 0
Of course you don't say your model, what country you are in, and your provider.

The only problem I had before was the phone locking up every few days, a soft reset solved that (no need for a factory reset). Since the Froyo update a few days ago, it has been stable.

GPS - never had a problem, I've been using my Bell Vibrant as a GPS navigator in my car. Great response & maps.

WiFi - no problems.

Great phone.

Upvote 0
I definitely wont recommend. Annoying device, you may call it as "unsmart" phone. One can praise the Amoled display but its nothing but an over-saturated and over-contrasted screen. Unnatural.

But it wont be a big problem, your eyes can get used to the Lady Gaga video style eye punch looks.

The problems are technical. Look up the wifi issue thread, sooner or later it will happen. I have it and despite factory reset (advice from the forum) and by that losing all my data my wifi still does not work. Looking up IP address then die off.

In the morning I "wake up" the little f@cking baby and its frozen, half dead while no one touched her all night long. The bitch.

It keeps losing GPRS connection by the hour and you have to dig deep into the otherwise not really intuitive menu system to find the part where you can do settings - strictly on trial-and-error basis. Good that you can make phone calls at least.

Having said that, making a phone call is a pain in the ass. Its a bloody 3 step procedure, and when you expect the call to be executed, you will only get to another cluttered screen where you have to poke another button to finally let the call out. At least the buttons are harsh red and neon green, apparently they wanted to make sure you cant mess them up even if you are an idiot.

I can't count how many times I had to remove battery as nothing else worked. I have Froyo installed (maybe another mistake) and the thing worked fine for a few days, then without warning started to act weird. Its a new phone, not even 2 weeks old.

You want good for yourself? Don't measure LCD size and listen to raving about Amoled. Go and get an iPhone, now I know why I should have done that.

Sorry for the rant folks, this Galaxy S gets on my nerves. I used iPhone 3gs, its slow, it has no fancies like the 4 or this SGS - but reliable. And I am pretty sure the iPhone4 is much more reliable than this fancy plastic piece of cr@p.

ok, this is a long list of complaints...

I've never faced any issue regarding Wi-Fi or GPS. Both have been working flawlessly. Same is the case with all my friends having SGS. Same is the case with GPRS.

If you complain that making a call is a 3 step process, it just shows that you havent explored the device properly yet. All you have to do is to create a direct dial/direct sms shortcut in your homescreen, and you can make ur call in just one touch.

I upgraded to Froyo and after factory reset, it was really fast.

The iPhone is just a so-called style statement which in reality cant come close to the SGS in both hardware or software.....You only need to be smart to use it in the right way (For example, installing Task killers to kill unwanted tasks, installing Brightness controllers to reduce brightness etc)

SGS all the way!

Upvote 0
Of course you don't say your model, what country you are in, and your provider.

The only problem I had before was the phone locking up every few days, a soft reset solved that (no need for a factory reset). Since the Froyo update a few days ago, it has been stable.

GPS - never had a problem, I've been using my Bell Vibrant as a GPS navigator in my car. Great response & maps.

WiFi - no problems.

Great phone.

He probably live in India. Chennai is in India.

Upvote 0
i disagree, maybe it depends on your location and perhaps firmware. i admit xxjpu is much faster and accurate with gps but i had to revert back to xxjpo for some reasons. i don't have problem with gps in my location, italy. gps locks in 1 to 2 minutes either i will be using navigon or purely google navigation.

You can disagree all you want but it doesnt change the fact many have problems with the GPS still.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones