• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Docs to Go - Won't Open Google Docs

Tumeg

Android Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2010
Soo - I downloaded (and bought) the full version of Documents To Go.
One of the main reasons I went with it, was because of its ability to sync\edit\upload files to\from Google Docs.

So when I logged into my Google Docs account, all of my files are listed. But when I try to open ANY of them - I instantly get a message saying that it failed to download the file.

Any help? The DataViz support forums have been locked, and all of their "contact us" forms are down\broken.

EDIT: I can create Google Documents through the app, and have them sync with Google Docs - then I can also open those same documents and edit them, just fine.
It's the docs that I created in\on Google Docs, that aren't able to be opened\edited via the Documents To Go app.

Reactions: NarniaHTC
EDIT: I can create Google Documents through the app, and have them sync with Google Docs - then I can also open those same documents and edit them, just fine.
It's the docs that I created in\on Google Docs, that aren't able to be opened\edited via the Documents To Go app.

How are you getting those apps to the phone? Are you going to Google Docs from the browser? Have you tried downloading the file to the phone first? Just long press the file in the browser, then hit Save Link. Then try to open it in Docs to go.

Upvote 0
I did what you said - hit "save link" then tried to open it in DocsToGo, and I am still getting the same message.
I then tried to directly open (NOT through the DocsToGo app) the "saved link", and it gave me a list of apps I wanted to open the file with, and DocsToGo was not one of them (I ended up opening it in "DropBox Text Editor" and it just showed a whole bunch of gibberish)

Upvote 0
I have a feeling this information is incorrect.
I HIGHLY doubt that I need to download the documents to my phone, before the application is able to open them via Google Docs.
The whole point of this app, is to be able to access my Google Docs - and open\edit them. It is obviously synced up with my Google Docs account, and is obviously suppose to open them directly in the app - (otherwise it would give me a detailed message, explaining what needs to be done) it just isn't working in my case.

EDIT: According to the app description, you are suppose to download the file USING DocsToGo.
My problem is when I try to download\open the file, I get a message saying it "failed to download file". So no, I do not need to download the file elsewhere. It's suppose to download it IN and WITH this app - but it isn't working.

EDIT:EDIT: I would only HAVE to download the files to my SD card, if I had the free version of DocsToGo.
"I use Documents To Go. It's pricey, but it's worth every penny if you use it often enough. It can read Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and PDF files from your SD card, and it can also read all of your Google Docs directly from your account and save them locally (for offline).

If it's just to read a couple of files that you'll manage manually, the Free version of Documents to Go will only read local files. You can't create them, edit them, or load them from GDocs. So you can just load it onto your SD card as needed and take it with you for read-only purposes."

DataViz truly is one of THE worst devs out there...

Upvote 0
I open all of my docs just fine.
You do not have to download the docs to view the Google docs.

All of my docs were created on my PC, then I put them into Google docs. I open docs to go, choose Google docs, and I can read them all.

Maybe you're having a version conflict, like .doc vs .docx?

Hmmm... So you made the document, then uploaded them to Google docs?
I made all of my documents in Google docs. Would that make a difference?

Upvote 0
It could be I don't know. All of my docs were already created before ever thinking about Google docs.

Let me try doing that...

EDIT: Yup, that is my problem (not sure why\how).
I just downloaded my Google Docs files as Word (.doc) files, then uploaded them back up to Google Docs - and now they open just fine in DocsToGo.

Thanks so much!

EDIT:EDIT: Just tested something out... Stupid me! The reason they weren't opening in DocsToGo, is because of some special characters in the titles! ( - "" :) I should have know, I guess :p
I thought this might be an issue, but I read that only "\" caused issues...

Reactions: NarniaHTC
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones