• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help does anyone know how to set a picture as your wallpaper without cropping the image?

does anyone know how to set a picture as your wallpaper without cropping the image to fit all 7 screens on the evo. basically i had a wallpaper app called "shake them up" which allowed me to set any of my pictures as the wallpaper without cropping them. after the latest update the app is making me crop like the phone does. can anyone please help me out.

Uh... guys... I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this or not, but the crop panel is there simply to maintain aspect ratio, right? And that they aspect ratio is pretty much about the way spaces are being handled?

And that you can enlarge it by moving it to upper left direction, then grabbing the lower right corner, or one of the borders, to expand it?

And that when you scroll from space to space the picture only scrolls slightly to the left-right limits?

And that this is stock Android 2.1 behavior?

Upvote 0
the device used to allow me to use this picture withot cropping. it would just so the same picture on every one of the homescreens. i dont think it should b that hard to set one picture as the background for all seven pages. this device is great but if its unable to do something so simple mayb its not for me.

Maybe you should understand that it is one wallpaper for 7 scenes, and that's how it works. That's like complaining that a wallpaper doesn't fit your monitor, and blaming the monitor.

Upvote 0
The built in Sense homescreen requires you to have a wallpaper that is 960x800 and scrolls as you move to different homescreens. You can probably find what you are looking for but it would require you to use a different homescreen program and probably be rooted.
With Sense there is no way to just center one pic for all seven homescreens.

Upvote 0
I have the updated version of "shake them all" on both my Evo and Incredible, and it is still automatically filling up my screens just as before, with no request to crop. Maybe try re-downloading it?

Okay I see what you mean. If you use your own background you are asked to crop it. It's not hard tho, they are just giving you the choice to use what part of your photo you like best, and if you don't feel like dealing with the cropping just click done, and it comes out fine. Just more options, and that's a good thing.

Upvote 0
I have the updated version of "shake them all" on both my Evo and Incredible, and it is still automatically filling up my screens just as before, with no request to crop. Maybe try re-downloading it?

Okay I see what you mean. If you use your own background you are asked to crop it. It's not hard tho, they are just giving you the choice to use what part of your photo you like best, and if you don't feel like dealing with the cropping just click done, and it comes out fine. Just more options, and that's a good thing.

tried it not working

Upvote 0
Make your picture 960x800. Then you can use the wallpaper setting under menu, move the green rectangle to the upper left corner, then you can stretch the lower right corner to the edge.

Or you can use an app called:
Wallpaper Set & Save
Put your 960x800 pic in a folder called wallpapers on your SD card, and you will be able to choose it from within Wallpaper Set & Save

Upvote 0
One thing I notice is when using backgrounds, the pic is too zoomed in on the homescreens. When I would use wallpapers on the hero they always looked right. I notice on the Evo that's not the case. I stretch the wallpapers with the little corners but it just looks too blown up. I wonder if the wallpapers are bigger than default if it would look more normal.

Upvote 0
One thing I notice is when using backgrounds, the pic is too zoomed in on the homescreens. When I would use wallpapers on the hero they always looked right. I notice on the Evo that's not the case. I stretch the wallpapers with the little corners but it just looks too blown up. I wonder if the wallpapers are bigger than default if it would look more normal.

^this. Anyone that thinks that the crop feature doesn't zoom that shoot once it's on the home screen is blind.

Upvote 0
several posters do not understand the issue, the user wants to use a 480x800 pic as their wallpaper and have it show, the full image, on all seven home screens. to do this you need to open the photo in a photo editor, then create a new image that it 960x800 (blank) and copy and past the 480x800 image into it two times, then align it so it shows both completely. that is the best you will get, because the Sense UI does not move the wall paper by 480pixels every time you change scenes, it only moves 80 pixels to the left when you swipe left (each time) and 80 pixels to the right when you swipe right (each time), SO... when you are one or two scenes left or right or center you will see part of each image, when in your main home screen you will see half your image on each side of the screen, and when all the way left or right you will see your whole image. that is the best you can do.

Upvote 0
You could also take the 800 x 480 image and add a colored canvas to each side (240 pixels each). Then when you're on your main screen, you'll see the whole image but when you shift, you'll see the canvas.

I looked at Shake Them All and on their market page it says the update added the wallpaper shift. Maybe you can find an older version or ask the developer to make it an option in the settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones