• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help does froyo address battery fully charge issue?

The battery does indeed charge to full. What you guys are missing is that it isn't trickle charged. As soon as the phone reads 100%, it internally cuts off the charger. It's just like if you unplugged it as soon as it hits 100%. That drop is the amount of power used since it hit 100%.

If the phone trickle charged, it'd be fine. If I pull mine off as soon as it hits 100%, then it stays there. If I unplug it about 30 minutes before I take it off and let it hit 100% again, it's fine. If you understand the issue, you can work around it.
Exactly.

If you charge your phone to green, and as soon as it's green (or very shortly thereafter) take it off the charger and plug it back in, it will still be green.

When you charge it overnight, or any scenario where it stays green on the charger for a long time... that's when you unplug and replug and it is amber.

Upvote 0
The battery does indeed charge to full. What you guys are missing is that it isn't trickle charged. As soon as the phone reads 100%, it internally cuts off the charger. It's just like if you unplugged it as soon as it hits 100%. That drop is the amount of power used since it hit 100%.

If the phone trickle charged, it'd be fine. If I pull mine off as soon as it hits 100%, then it stays there. If I unplug it about 30 minutes before I take it off and let it hit 100% again, it's fine. If you understand the issue, you can work around it.

I understand what you are saying. Too bad my old hobby r/c charger can't charge the Incredible's battery. At least it can trickle charge. :rolleyes:

There wouldn't be a work around if HTC didn't let the snafu slip by.

Upvote 0

There is so much wrong with this entire thread but this takes the cake.

What you just posted is 100% wrong. With your logic if you left the phone charging for a week the phone would actually lose its full charge and the battery would be die out still while charging.

Bottom line is if you don't do the bump method the battery drops from 100 to 93% very fast regardless of how soon you take the phone off the charger.

And just to answer the op post no froyo will not correct this only htc can possibly fix this.

Upvote 0

What you just posted is 100% wrong. With your logic if you left the phone charging for a week the phone would actually lose its full charge and the battery would be die out still while charging.

Bottom line is if you don't do the bump method the battery drops from 100 to 93% very fast regardless of how soon you take the phone off the charger.
No, he is right. Whether or not it would kick in and start charging again before the battery died completely, I have no idea. But if you take your phone off the charger as soon as it is green, no amount of plugging or unplugging or turning the phone off will make it go amber.

Try it. You'll see.

Upvote 0
Lithium-ion/polymer batteries are not trickle charged. They are "fast charged" to about 70% then a topping charge is applied to until they are full at which point the charge is stopped completely. They are not trickle charge because they are unable to absorb overcharge and can become a safety hazard, they can vent flames.
source:
Battery Universe.com - Charging lithium-ion batteries

Upvote 0
Even better, don't unplug the device when the green light is on. Just turn the device off (while plugged in) and see what happens. I did that trick and the LED went from green--->red.

But of course, you could definitely be one of the chosen few.:)

lol well I guess I'm not one of the chosen few anymore. So this is really a problem eh? Well I should see longer battery life now that it's actually charging all the way

Upvote 0

And just to answer the op post no froyo will not correct this only htc can possibly fix this.

I will try to explain it better for you. The way the charger works, it does not keep charging the battery nonstop while the phone is on. It charges the phone up to 100%, then lets it drop down to 90%(this number could be a bit different than 90 I don't know the exact one it's just an example for concept) or so and then begins charging it back up again. It does not attempt to keep it at 100% at all times(Known as trickle charging). This is what the poster above you was trying to explain.

Upvote 0
Let me try to explain my findings. This might be what some people are trying to express as well.

Phone only charges to low 90% if you plug it in, turned on, and charge. If you power off and keep charging it charges to a full 100%.

If you then leave it plugged in, but turn the phone off, the phone will go back to the charge point that it was after that original charge (with the phone on).

Upvote 0

Before making claims, do your own research and testing. If I take it off the charger as soon as the LED goes green, it will stay at 100% for at least half an hour. The longer I leave it plugged in after it turns green, the worse the drop. The amount of drop is equal to how much it would've dropped in the same amount of time.

Wrong choice of words when I said trickle charged. The phone should pull its power from the wall outlet when plugged in after the battery hits 100%. I went so far as hooking up an ammeter I use for monitoring draw on equipment I work with. While charging the oulet pulls about 200mA. Once its done, it drops to about 45mA no matter what I do with the phone to make it suck up juice. Unplugging the phone has no effect, so that's the natural parasitic loss of the HTC adapter.

Bottom line, the phone switches to battery power and stops charging once it hits 100%. The loss you see is what has been used since it hit 100%.

Upvote 0
My findings are that I charge the phone all the way to when it says its fully charged. If I turn the phone off, the LED turns amber and charges for an additional 20-25 mins. This is all without unplugging it.

If i do the turn off, i get far better battery life. However, i just got 2 1500mAh batteries and a desktop charger for 15 bucks on ebay delivered today. Don't have to worry about it anymore.

Upvote 0
I'm not convinced that the charge problem is a hardware problem. It's more than likely caused by people who turn their phone on and use it when they received it without waiting the required 8 hours for the battery to calibrate.

"Lithium-ion is a very clean system and does not need priming as nickel-based batteries do. The 1st charge is no different to the 5th or the 50th charge. Stickers instructing to charge the battery for 8 hours or more for the first time may be a leftover from the nickel battery days."

source: Charging lithium-ion batteries

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones