• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does Sprint charge you extra for tethering?

you know comcast has been selling wireless since summer 2009?
im a moment owner and signed up to this forum to clear this up for you, maybe you live under a rock, but i dont know you, but one thing i hate to read is people so out of knowing what they are taking about :)

but hey just so you dont think im bs'ing google it, its called high speed 2go its 3g/4g :) this isnt new news but maybe to you :)

if you need the comcast link i can give that to you but im pretty sure you know how to google

edit

and you being from a city where 4g coverage you should know this since your from Chicago from what you put your location down as, im sorry to make this my first post but i call it how i see it

Then perhaps if you googled it, you would see it is just rebranded clearwire.

Also, it is not marketed at all. I am not god. Things like this just don't pop into my head without some sort of marketing or word of mouth.

So yes, no marketing and little media coverage clearly mean I'm living under a rock.

Sorry, "but I just call it how I see it"

Class Dismissed. Again.

Upvote 0
LOL it is marketed so saying it isnt your wrong again, yes they did invest in clear(clearwire) to be able to provide this service, they still providing it period. (comcast i think invested up to 1 billion, i forget the number offhand)

maybe you need to go back to school, as you cant teach anything if thats how slick you think you are.

but thats ok, maybe you dont know how to follow tech news

Upvote 0
What exactly constitutes data usage? Cause I use my 3g network to browse the web everyday?

Data is anything internet related pretty much. Syncing, web browsing, streaming media etc.

Droidjohn, it is not marketed in chicago, so my statement stands. Why are you making a point to argue something completely irrelevant?

If microsoft created windows super duper 8, and only marketed it in washington d.c., while technically being marketed, it holds no water in the real world. So your rhetoric is also, a moot point here.

Perhaps you should look up the differemce between reselling a service, and providing one.

But hey, maybe you don't know the business world so well, so its ok :D

Now you have Dentention.

Upvote 0
they invested in clear to be able to provide the service they are not reselling it as they are a partner in the service

you think your right in everything you do and cant say hey i was wrong lets move on, but again some people are who they are

but its ok guy, you might have honestly thought your right

EDIT
your right about your city, it hasnt been marketed there, i at least know when to say i was wrong :)

Upvote 0
they invested in clear to be able to provide the service they are not reselling it as they are a partner in the service

you think your right in everything you do and cant say hey i was wrong lets move on, but again some people are who they are

but its ok guy, you might have honestly thought your right

Let's take a look at this for a moment.

They are buying service from clearwire, and selling it under the comcast brand. Sounds like reselling to me! (And most people)

Just because you invest in something doesn't make you a partner.
(I bought some walmart stock so now I'm a partner yay!)

And yep comcast 2go is really marketed here in chicago. That's why its not in the media, (barring the last day or so, if it even aired) location based internet ads, etc. But I only live in chicago so you must definately know what's being marketed here better than I.

And out of your own... post.

"But its ok guy, you might have honestly thought your right"

Upvote 0
i said your right about your city, but comcast doesnt resell a service, but to stop this as you will think your right till the day you die, i dont even care, but if you honestly think your right do a little research into it and you will see, thou given your post you wont ever say your wrong :)

but in the end i could care less what you think you know

Meh I started my post before you did your edit. So moot point I suppose.

Please go look up the definitions for the words reselling and rebranding, and report your findings.

And a quick fyi, I have conceded a few times when I was wrong. Like I didn't know comcast "offered" wireless broadband. And in fact, has nothing to do with this thread, as I said "wireless service" which are two while related different things. You don't tether with wireless broadband, and when you came at me sideways like I'm supposed to know what's offered halfway across the country and not here, is somehow my fault.

In closing, I feel you just wanted an argument, and cannot accept the fact you were not and are not correct, so you throw it in a different direction hoping for a different outcome.

So let's get this thread back on topic, maybe a mod can remove these dumb posts, as the comcast meager wireless broadband offering have absolutely nothing to do with tethering from your wireless service.

Upvote 0
Ok, let me clarify a few things...

1) I never said the limit on Verizon, Comcast, or a FIOS or DSL company was 200GB... I simply stated unless you are on a business account, they will throttle you and boot you off their network if you used 200GB in a month consistently.

2) Comcast/Xfinity 2 Go is available in most markets. It's Clear's 4G/3G coverage (Sprint) marketed by Comcast/Xfinity. According to the acceptable use agreement you are limited to 5GB of data transfers while on the network, and 100MB while on roaming.

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/HighSpeed2Go/ComcastHS2GoAUP0629.pdf

3) Verizon DSL/FIOS - identifies an acceptable means of termination as anything that "generate excessive amounts of email or other Internet traffic" which is not given a number - but 200GB is enough to trigger it. Also, any torrent sites will show - unless you are on a secure business account - which they are not allowed to trace IP access.

4) Unlimited data is only allowed to approved applications on the device. Not all market apps are approved.

5) Tethering is only allowed 'legitimately' using the carrier's software - and you are bound to purchase that access at an additional charge. 3rd party software that you install will not give you the data safeguards (like the 250MB maximum overage charge) and may result in a larger bill.

6) Keep this on topic - the original question was "Does Sprint charge extra for tethering?" and the answer to that is very simple - YES. It's about $30 a month additional to access your phone as a modem to your laptop.

7) "They can't tell what I used my data connection for..." is one of the dumbest quotes I have ever seen. All ISP's track all users now to help the police track down rapists, killers, and many other law breakers. If you ever doubt this, think about what your phone CAN'T download... SWF files, if one shows up as accessed, they know you tethered... WMV/WMA files - you tethered... SRC files - tethered... Pretty simple for any IT guys to see what you downloaded - and all the carriers track this to keep track of the Pay-By-KB customers records.

Just thought I'd try to clarify a bit there... Thanks!

Reactions: htcman724 and IOWA
Upvote 0
sorry for the bump but um i discovered the ability to share internet on my phone yesterday and downloaded a game called maplestory last night which is near 2.19 gb. then i realized they could charge me for this but then im like how much would the fine be? my plan is this : Sprint Everything Data Family 1500 so im not sure if it covers internet sharing with another computer.

phone is htc hero 2.1

Upvote 0
So will Sprint charge Me if I tether with my HTC hero even if I have an unlimited data plan? Can I have a straight foward answer please.
No one can predict what Sprint will do with you... but in my experience they have never charged me for tethering. I only do it a few days a month at most... only when I travel, and I don't use it for huge amounts of bandwidth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones