• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does T-Mobile really have unlimited data? No catches, gimmicks or limitations?

I think that announcement will just be an update of sorts for their customers. Let them know that the T-Mobile / Metro PCS merger will begin to take place in rapid succession, LTE-A stuff, etc etc..

I don't think they will be announcing any devices.

I hope they do announce devices. One of the big issues with T-Mobile right now is a lack of LTE devices, particularly mid to low level devices. At this point, your choice for an LTE device is the Samsung S4, the new S3 (but most users have the old S3 without LTE), Note 2, HTC One, iPhone 5, and Blackberry Q10 and Z10. Additionally the Nokia Lumia 925 is being released on the 17th, and it appears they have just announced the Sony Xperia Z.

I would say that LTE is worthless for most current T-Mobile customers, at the moment, since it would require them buying a new $600+ phone (since most are still on contracts they signed prior to March).

Upvote 0
I would say that LTE is worthless for most current T-Mobile customers, at the moment, since it would require them buying a new $600+ phone (since most are still on contracts they signed prior to March).

That could be said for anyone on any carrier pre-LTE launch. However, I think that consumers need to educate themselves better on the inner workings of electronic devices they own. I've literally sat in a Sprint store waiting for them to fix my phone while someone with an SGS2 (E4GT, in this case) argued that his phone should be LTE-enabled.

Upvote 0
I hope they do announce devices. One of the big issues with T-Mobile right now is a lack of LTE devices, particularly mid to low level devices. At this point, your choice for an LTE device is the Samsung S4, the new S3 (but most users have the old S3 without LTE), Note 2, HTC One, iPhone 5, and Blackberry Q10 and Z10. Additionally the Nokia Lumia 925 is being released on the 17th, and it appears they have just announced the Sony Xperia Z.

That could be said for anyone on any carrier pre-LTE launch. However, I think that consumers need to educate themselves better on the inner workings of electronic devices they own. I've literally sat in a Sprint store waiting for them to fix my phone while someone with an SGS2 (E4GT, in this case) argued that his phone should be LTE-enabled.

I dont want to make this even more confusing, and believe me it already is, but I was in the t mobile store the other day and talked with a sales rep
I was asking about several different phones and prices I told them I was looking at LTE enabled phone only I said the S3 would be nice but it would have to be the new one.
They told me that tmo sent an update to all the old s3's that made them LTE enabled. I said "really and does it work?" they said yes I mentioned the LTE just barely rolling out here in jax (at that time phones did not auto connect to it though) and asked if they had been to orlando with it was able to get on that, they said yes it was so fast it was crazy.

I do not believe they actually got LTE just better HSPA+ 42 signal I wish that store was not in a dead zone for LTE its just out of signal range to even pick up the lte tower. I would go in and show them what lte connected looks like and see if there phone was.

Upvote 0

Don't forget the Nexus 4 for us techies :D

One of the great things about their LTE is that since AT&T has some AWS LTE, many of their devices have compatibility for it. So if one gets it unlocked, it would work great on T-Mobile as well.

Upvote 0
Don't forget the Nexus 4 for us techies :D

One of the great things about their LTE is that since AT&T has some AWS LTE, many of their devices have compatibility for it. So if one gets it unlocked, it would work great on T-Mobile as well.
Yes, but remember most AT&T phones either dont have the HSPA WCDMA AWS or its locked out in software, mostly because att do not want you skipping out on them and running to tmo (that last was my speculation but probably true), So unless LTE is fully deployed and functioning everywhere or your market is refarmed for PCS those ATT phones are not going to be that great.

Unless you get one of the samsung models that have software locked aws that can be easily unlocked, I have been reading up on the ATT S3 it can be done but at this moment not enough testers as it needs donor info (nv items) from the tmo lte s3 or flash old ics modem.

Upvote 0
Yes, but remember most AT&T phones either dont have the HSPA WCDMA AWS or its locked out in software, mostly because att do not want you skipping out on them and running to tmo (that last was my speculation but probably true), So unless LTE is fully deployed and functioning everywhere or your market is refarmed for PCS those ATT phones are not going to be that great.

Unless you get one of the samsung models that have software locked aws that can be easily unlocked, I have been reading up on the ATT S3 it can be done but at this moment not enough testers as it needs donor info (nv items) from the tmo lte s3 or flash old ics modem.

Yeah, that is true. Definitely something to consider.

Upvote 0
I think that announcement will just be an update of sorts for their customers. Let them know that the T-Mobile / Metro PCS merger will begin to take place in rapid succession, LTE-A stuff, etc etc..

I don't think they will be announcing any devices.

HTC One Mini Launch Details Rumored

HTC One Mini Launch Details Rumored
The HTC One Mini may not be the only thing they announce in july but it is probably one thing.

The HTC One Mini is likely to have LTE and HSPA+ and is going to be a mid range device.
I bet it will probably cost about $350USD maybe less maybe more.

Upvote 0

I guess nine different options to access a new network IS pretty limiting. :D

Upvote 0
I dont want to make this even more confusing, and believe me it already is, but I was in the t mobile store the other day and talked with a sales rep
I was asking about several different phones and prices I told them I was looking at LTE enabled phone only I said the S3 would be nice but it would have to be the new one.
They told me that tmo sent an update to all the old s3's that made them LTE enabled. I said "really and does it work?" they said yes I mentioned the LTE just barely rolling out here in jax (at that time phones did not auto connect to it though) and asked if they had been to orlando with it was able to get on that, they said yes it was so fast it was crazy.

I do not believe they actually got LTE just better HSPA+ 42 signal I wish that store was not in a dead zone for LTE its just out of signal range to even pick up the lte tower. I would go in and show them what lte connected looks like and see if there phone was.

Hell, that's part of the problem too. Representatives of these companies relaying false information. In most of these cases, the reps don't know anything that folks like us haven't already heard. 9 times out of 10, we know more than they do.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones