• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the "shatter proof" screen still "need" a screen protector?

So knowing all of this I can't find a direct answer to what should have been asked before but hasn't seem to have been. If the ShatterShield is just a soft screen protector and is removable/replaceable, can't you just replace it with another screen protector instead of ordering a $29-59 one from Motorola then buying another $12-24 dollar one to put on top of that?

I had a tempered glass screen protector put on as soon as I got my phone and recently it's started bubbling & peeling from one corner so went in to get another protector and when they took it off we realized it was the phone's screen itself that is starting to peel away & they had no idea about this removable ShatterShield until we did some research. One guy suggested just peeling it off & replacing it with their tempered glass protector & be done with it but wasn't sure that would be the right thing to do. Thoughts? My options are:

1. Sending phone in to Motorola to install new ShatterShield = $59 & the cost of not having a phone for 1-2 weeks
2. Having them send me the ShatterShield to install myself (or let Verizon do it) then installing a new screen protector - $29 for ShatterShield + $24.99 for protector
3. Peeling off the ShatterShield myself & installing Verizon's tempered glass screen protector by itself = $24.99 (already purchased)

Upvote 0
Many of the people working in Verizon retail stores are not aware of what the Turbo 2 is.

It cones with a shatterproof display. If the actual display is damaged it will be replaced by Verizon/Motorola. Someone tested it by dropping it out of a hot aitr balloon at 300 feet onto asphalt. The Turbo 2 case was smashed. The screen was not damaged.

There is a display "lens" in front of the shatterproof screen. It is softer than gorilla glass and in rough conditions it can be scrateched. It is replaceable by the end user.

The Verizon logo at the bottom of the screen is actually printed on this replacement lens.

My guess is that it is ...
http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/verizon-anti-scratch-screen-protector-for-droid-turbo-2/
... it has the same part number as the package in my hand.

The Motorola version comes one to a pack for $30+ and is called ...
Moto Shattershield Replacement Lens

I have these and the more expensive single unit from Motorola. I have never scratched the screen and have not used one of the replacement protectors.

So ... if you have a scratch ... replace the protective lens.

Screen protector ... I don't use one. If you are constantly in a very rough environment then you will probable get a protective case with a screen protector. I work in offices and don't have the need.

... Thom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So knowing all of this I can't find a direct answer to what should have been asked before but hasn't seem to have been. If the ShatterShield is just a soft screen protector and is removable/replaceable, can't you just replace it with another screen protector instead of ordering a $29-59 one from Motorola then buying another $12-24 dollar one to put on top of that?

You *can*, but Motorola has said that their shattershield outer lens must be installed in order to get warranty coverage if one of the inner components breaks. If I were you, I would put a screen protector over the original lens (or a replacement lens.)

Upvote 0
Many of the people working in Verizon retail stores are not aware of what the Turbo 2 is.

It cones with a shatterproof display. If the actual display is damaged it will be replaced by Verizon/Motorola. Someone tested it by dropping it out of a hot aitr balloon at 300 feet onto asphalt. The Turbo 2 case was smashed. The screen was not damaged.

There is a display "lens" in front of the shatterproof screen. It is softer than gorilla glass and in rough conditions it can be scrateched. It is replaceable by the end user.

The Verizon logo at the bottom of the screen is actually printed on this replacement lens.

My guess is that it is ...
http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/verizon-anti-scratch-screen-protector-for-droid-turbo-2/
... it has the same part number as the package in my hand.

The Motorola version comes one to a pack for $30+ and is called ...
Moto Shattershield Replacement Lens

I have these and the more expensive single unit from Motorola. I have never scratched the screen and have not used one of the replacement protectors.

So ... if you have a scratch ... replace the protective lens.

Screen protector ... I don't use one. If you are constantly in a very rough environment then you will probable get a protective case with a screen protector. I work in offices and don't have the need.

... Thom

Ummm...thanks, but you just gave me all the same info everyone else has (even including the same products & prices I listed in my post) and didn't really answer my specific question. So maybe I missed it: What exactly was your point?

Upvote 0
You *can*, but Motorola has said that their shattershield outer lens must be installed in order to get warranty coverage if one of the inner components breaks. If I were you, I would put a screen protector over the original lens (or a replacement lens.)

Yeah, I'm leaning that direction as well. I already bought the protector after taking the first one off & realizing the problem wasn't with this one but with the orignal 'lens'. Might as well buy the ShatterShield and use them both for the security. From what I've read the bare ShatterShield is pretty soft and gets dents & scratches fairly easily which is why I opted for the extra tempered glass protector in the first place. Just thought that maybe Motorola was charging more money for the same thing other people are selling and were being vague about why you might need it. Even on the phone they wouldn't answer my questions 100%, they just wanted the $59 to send it to them and let them put a new shield on.

I was really hoping I could just use the tempered glass I've already purchased in place of the peeling ShatterShield but people aren't stepping up & answering that directly...they keep beating around the bush & it's getting frustrating watching my original screen peel away more & more every day. :/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was really
hoping I could just use the tempered glass I've already purchased in place of the peeling ShatterShield but people aren't stepping up & answering that directly...they keep beating around the bush & it's getting frustrating watching my original screen peel away more & more every day. :/

It's you that is delaying getting your phone fixed back up... not others here or other places you've asked for information about a nonstandard solution for your situation that others are unlikely to have tried...

I am always for trying a possible solution beyond the norm... I love experimenting but I don't expect someone else to have tried whatever I may have thought up and I certainly don't expect them to do the experimentation for me.

If you are uncertain that it will work properly and don't want to take the chance... get the normal lens and replace it ( or send it in if you wish )... If, instead, you feel adventurous, try what you are thinking to see if it works. But don't try to say it's other peoples fault that your screen is still messed up because they didn't tell you what info you wanted/expected to hear when that info you requested was something nonstandard to start with.

Personally I don't think things would fit just right as I'd like things to be, but that's a wild guess since I'm not looking at the specific protector you are talking about ( there are dozens if not more ). So I'd replace the lens with one I'd obtain from Verizon ( an original replacement ) and probably add a additional screen protector on top of that since they are typically cheaper to replace if needed again later.

That's my opinion, like it or not... and it's worth twice what you paid for it. :D

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm leaning that direction as well. I already bought the protector after taking the first one off & realizing the problem wasn't with this one but with the orignal 'lens'. Might as well buy the ShatterShield and use them both for the security. From what I've read the bare ShatterShield is pretty soft and gets dents & scratches fairly easily which is why I opted for the extra tempered glass protector in the first place. Just thought that maybe Motorola was charging more money for the same thing other people are selling and were being vague about why you might need it. Even on the phone they wouldn't answer my questions 100%, they just wanted the $59 to send it to them and let them put a new shield on.

I was really hoping I could just use the tempered glass I've already purchased in place of the peeling ShatterShield but people aren't stepping up & answering that directly...they keep beating around the bush & it's getting frustrating watching my original screen peel away more & more every day. :/

So it's you vs them. Seek legal recourse I think. And if enough people have same issue, could be grounds for a class action lawsuit.

IANAL

Upvote 0
Ummm...thanks, but you just gave me all the same info everyone else has (even including the same products & prices I listed in my post) and didn't really answer my specific question. So maybe I missed it: What exactly was your point?

One problem is you are using your own labels for the elements instead of what the manufacturer used. You apparently are calling the replaceable lens a shatter shield. I provided a link where you can purchase a 3-pack of replaceable lenses. That's about $4 per replacement shield from Verizon.

I think the problem is that someone improperly installed your lens protector on top of the replaceable lens. Perhaps moisture got in between the layers.

You have two options ...
  • Replace the replaceable lens and if it is scratched again replace it again $4/replaceable lens.
  • Replace the replicable lens and properly install a screen protector on top of it. (Have the protective lens installed by someone who actually knows that the Turbo2 has a replaceable lens on top of the display.)
(I have used the Turbo 2 since the day it was announced without an additional case or lens protector and the replaceable lens has yet to show a scratch. I carry it screen facing me in a right front pants pocket that NEVER has anything in it other than my Turbo 2.)

... Thom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One problem is you are using your own labels for the elements instead of what the manufacturer used. You apparently are calling the replaceable lens a shatter shield.

In your own post back to them... you say that Motorola calls their's a ShatterShield Replacment Lens as well... So they were using the same term the manufacturer used. In fact... without actually having seen one from Verizon or Motorola... these do sound like just another type of screen protector of a sort... so I don't think the question about using a different type of protector as a possible replacement is a bad question... it's just not something others can answer directly without knowing the exact fit vs the original protector/shattershield or whatever it is called by someone.

Upvote 0
The approach to this one in my opinion is ... replace the replaceable lens and see if any scratches appear without a third party screen protector. It is really how it was designed to work.

If you don't want to use the replaceable lens ... ask Motorola/Verizon if that voids the warranty replacement if something happens o the display.

(Very early after release one user removed the replacement lens and used it with no cover at all. I never heard of anything after that. His reason was to get rid of the Verizon logo.)

... Thom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In your own post back to them... you say that Motorola calls their's a ShatterShield Replacment Lens as well... So they were using the same term the manufacturer used.

As I recall, the entire display system is called ShatterShield. The *ShatterShield Lens* is just one of 5 elements (and the only user replaceable element) of the entire ShatterShield display. (There is also the backlight, the AMOLED element, two touchscreen sensors, for redundancy.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The naming was always rather ambiguous. Replacement lens is unambiguous and generally used.

Maybe this will help ...

lens.jpg

Verizon 3-pack and Motorola (expensive) single.

... Thom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As I recall, the entire display system is called ShatterShield. The *ShatterShield Lens* is just one of 5 elements (and the only user replaceable element) of the entire ShatterShield display. (There is also the backlight, the AMOLED element, two touchscreen sensors, for redundancy.)

The point I was making in that post was that the user wasn't just using their own naming convention ( label ) as Thom had stated... perhaps they only used a portion of it... but it wasn't being "made" up by them.

Upvote 0
What mess Motorola and Verizon have created calling these two completely different things. And Verizon for not training their staff on a key feature of their EXCLUSIVE FLAGSHIP Motorola device. Thom, you are very helpful to all who ask, but I do disagree on one point. The FACTORY INSTALLED Shatter Shield (and that IS what is is called) is very, very soft and EASILY scratched.

I do not abuse my phones or put them in pockets with keys, yet somehow my original Shatter Shield was scratched. It's been a nightmare ever since. Not able to be without my phone, I opted to have Motorola ship me a replacement Shatter Shield (over $30 shipped!). Well, the instructions for installing it absolutely stink. I couldn't figure out which side goes on the phone and screwed it up. Then the second one came. I thought I put it on the phone correctly, but when I tried to peel the installation cover off the replacement Shatter Shield the tabs ripped off. These are not easy to put on. I tried to have someone at Verizon help me with a replacement and they have no clue about the screen technology.

This whole thing has been a nightmare and I am carrying around a phone with a scratch on the second $30 Shatter Shield because it too got messed up when I tried to install it. I wouldn't call these user replaceable...unless they are indeed something ANY user can replace.

And Thom, how certain are you that the Verizon three pack "Display Protector" is the exact same part as a Motorola Shatter Shield? Will Motorola still cover a broken screen warranty with one of these Verizon products? I never would've considered a product with "protector" is a replacement. I read that the Shatter Shield is part of the screen...not a protector for the screen.

Semantics I'm sure. But again, that's on these two companies not working for the customer's best interest.

Rant over.

Upvote 0
  • The name on the box I received from Motorola is "Moto ShatterShield Replacement Lens". As was pointed out the label ShatterShield is a trademark that refers to the complete display unit. If you call the Replacement Lens a ShatterShield it is adding to the confusion.

The Replacement Lens is softer than Gorilla Glass and a number of people have reported that it scratches easily.

You bring up a good point. Everyone has been assuming the Verizon 3-pack is the economical version of the Replacement Lens. They look identical.
  • There is no mention in the installation instructions from Verizon about removing the damaged replacement lens. It also does not say it is a replacement.
  • The instructions with the Motorola Replacement Lens does start by having you remove the old replacement lens.
  • There is no Verizon logo on either the Motorola or Verizon products.
I contacted Motorola for a determination. I will post their response here.

... Thom

Upvote 0
The clarification is that the "Moto Shattershield Replacement Lens" must be used to protect the screen. If you use a case and screen protector they would be in addition to the "Moto Shattershield Replacement Lens".

An excellent reference is at ...
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail_direct/a_id/108328
... it also recommends use of an additional case and screen protector.

So ... the Verizon product is not interchangeable with the "Moto Shattershield Replacement Lens" and if you choose to use it then it would be on top of the "Moto Shattershield Replacement Lens".

... Thom

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
From MattForumsMngr (Motorola Owners Forum) ...

"That outer layer is part of the Shattershield lens and not the same as some 3rd-party screen protector. Don't do it -- can mess up your phone badly. Only use a Motorola Shattershield replacement. By all means, use a screen protector over that if you like, but don't substitute for the real lens. Oh, and using your Turbo II without the official Shattershield lens voids your warranty."​

... Thom

Reactions: FirePsych
Upvote 0
looking at getting a turbo 2....hate the check mark. Does anyone know if you can still replace the stock top lens and get rid of the logo? Read that verizon moved this to the next level down so now it does not work.

I believe that Motorola sells replacement lens components without the check mark, so, yes.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-shattershield-replacement-lens-droid-turbo-2

Does anyone know if the x force will work on Verizon's cdma? Thanks
I am almost 100% sure that the international Moto X Force has no CDMA radio and, even if it did, Verizon will not allow it to be activated on the network.

Upvote 0
I believe that Motorola sells replacement lens components without the check mark, so, yes.

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-shattershield-replacement-lens-droid-turbo-2

I am almost 100% sure that the international Moto X Force has no CDMA radio and, even if it did, Verizon will not allow it to be activated on the network.

Thank you, but I know they sell them but my question is about if anyone knows if they moved the check mark down to the second level instead? If they did, removing the top shield would not help. On early models, it was on the top level but I have seen some posts show that Verizon moved it down. Was hoping someone might know, who has tried this with a later-issued phone.

Thanks, that is what I figured but wanted to ask. I like the new Z force a lot, but I can get the Turbo 2 for just 25 bucks right now and it will work on the new LTE-A so tough to justify the cost of the new Z.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have not heard about any moving of the logo to a different layer.

I have the original Turbo 2. I have the original shattershield replacement lens. I have never replaced the shattershield replacement lens. There is no check mark on the replacement Turbo 2 shattershield replacement lens.

I always assumed firm what I read that the check mark was present on the shattershield replacement lens installed at the factory and not on the replacement.

(To also reiterate ... this is not the same as the three-pack from Verizon.)

... Thom

Reactions: smacksy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones