• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does this in-boot-recovery arrangement still work after flashing a rom or will recovery be lost

Hello,
this is my first post here, and I need help. Hopefully I did everything correctly selecting "Support".
I've got an old Xperia M (nick) C1905 smartphone with Android 4.1.2 (not the newer 4.3), Firmware is 15.1.C.2.8 . I used towelroot from geohot to get supersu binaries in the system and installed SuperSU 2.82 as system app (pseudo-pro activated).
Now I discovered this: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2480556
So I flashed /boot partition because the device doesn't support recovery itself - it doesn't have a stock recovery and also TWRP made for "nicki" isn't flashable via TWRP App - well it tells me that it flashed but you cant boot it. So I typed after unlocking the bootloader "fastboot flash boot combined-boot-image.img" and now I can boot into clockworkmod recovery (when the boot logo appears the led turns pink, I press one volume up and if I do this, it turns into cyan. Now the recovery boots instead of Android's linux kernel.
But I am afraid flashing cyanogenmod 12.1 or 13 because I want to keep this recovery and be able to get back from cm 12 or 13 to stock rom.
So now the IMPORTANT question:

Does flashing cyanogenmod or any other ROM than the stock rom replace the modified bootloader? Will I have to install another recovery that works with cyanogenmod? And if cyanogenmod is installed and bootloader replaced (if that happens), can I flash the working recovery boot image, making cyanogenmod eventually unbootable (?), and therefor get the recovery back an flash the nandroid backup of the stock rom?

As far as I know, eventhough if the guy on xda says, that he would put the kernel into the image and do something "combined", i believe this is the boot image + cwm image what he combines, he only modifies the bootloader, right?

Here's the technical info from xda:
"The Xperia M doesn't have a recovery partition, therefore the recovery is packed into a boot image. There is an init script which checks whether it should boot into recovery, and if it should, the script will extract the recovery ramdisk and boot it. Otherwise it will extract the boot ramdisk and boot Android normally. The packer linked above is designed to pack the boot image."

Please help me! Thanks for every reply!
Pascal

Hello,
this is my first post here, and I need help. Hopefully I did everything correctly selecting "Support".
I've got an old Xperia M (nick) C1905 smartphone with Android 4.1.2 (not the newer 4.3), Firmware is 15.1.C.2.8 . I used towelroot from geohot to get supersu binaries in the system and installed SuperSU 2.82 as system app (pseudo-pro activated).
Now I discovered this: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2480556
So I flashed /boot partition because the device doesn't support recovery itself - it doesn't have a stock recovery and also TWRP made for "nicki" isn't flashable via TWRP App - well it tells me that it flashed but you cant boot it. So I typed after unlocking the bootloader "fastboot flash boot combined-boot-image.img" and now I can boot into clockworkmod recovery (when the boot logo appears the led turns pink, I press one volume up and if I do this, it turns into cyan. Now the recovery boots instead of Android's linux kernel.
But I am afraid flashing cyanogenmod 12.1 or 13 because I want to keep this recovery and be able to get back from cm 12 or 13 to stock rom.
So now the IMPORTANT question:

Does flashing cyanogenmod or any other ROM than the stock rom replace the modified bootloader? Will I have to install another recovery that works with cyanogenmod? And if cyanogenmod is installed and bootloader replaced (if that happens), can I flash the working recovery boot image, making cyanogenmod eventually unbootable (?), and therefor get the recovery back an flash the nandroid backup of the stock rom?

As far as I know, eventhough if the guy on xda says, that he would put the kernel into the image and do something "combined", i believe this is the boot image + cwm image what he combines, he only modifies the bootloader, right?

Here's the technical info from xda:
"The Xperia M doesn't have a recovery partition, therefore the recovery is packed into a boot image. There is an init script which checks whether it should boot into recovery, and if it should, the script will extract the recovery ramdisk and boot it. Otherwise it will extract the boot ramdisk and boot Android normally. The packer linked above is designed to pack the boot image."

Please help me! Thanks for every reply!
Pascal
Give us time, we are only human.

Upvote 0
Give us time, we are only human.
I didn't want to be rude, sorry.

I'm not familiar with your device/setup so I can't say with 100% certainty, but I've flashed many roms on many devices and no rom has ever replaced my custom recovery. I don't think roms generally touch your boot partition.
Ok. Maybe i take a look at the custom rom flashable zip, if it contains something called boot.

Upvote 0
I'm not familiar with your device/setup so I can't say with 100% certainty, but I've flashed many roms on many devices and no rom has ever replaced my custom recovery. I don't think roms generally touch your boot partition.

The newer ones that are trebilized: new devices require a TWRP zip flashed after every ROM due to such the recovery replacement

Upvote 0
^The rudeness awakens.
Let's hope JJ Abrams will never again do something that has to do with Star Trek or Star Wars. These lens flares are horrible.
The newer ones that are trebilized: new devices require a TWRP zip flashed after every ROM due to such the recovery replacement
Do you mean newer ROM or newer device?

Upvote 0
Do you mean newer ROM or newer device?

The ROMs for newer devices that are Trebilized
Edit: upon further reading, I see your issue. I'm uncertain about Sony devices as I've never had the pleasure. It looks like they may have been pioneers in the combined boot/recovery images whereas I'm just now trying to become familiar. ;) Also, if you use fastboot to get things done, it shouldn't be a big leap to simply reinstall CWM after ROM flashing..??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones