• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does your podcast app work?

El Sparrow

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
I currently own a Nokia Lumia 520, Windows 8 phone

The reason I ask is because my Nokia is the first smartphone I've ever owned; never owned any Android or Apple phones. Despite the OS shortcomings, I like the 520 and the interface. However, there is one thing that concerns me...

Every podcast app I have tried doesn't seem to work 100%.
Either I get an occasional error message, it freezes, will not boot (kicks back to home screen) until I shut off/turn on the phone. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing some of the apps.

Do Android based podcast apps work really really well, and when I say "work" I mean do they... work all the time, as the developer intended.

Thanks for any feedback, I'm pondering switching to Android or maybe see if the new 8.1 turns out.

I used to (before I retired) spend about an hour on the road each way to and from work, and listened to podcasts a lot of that time. If you consider an hour's straight run without a problem "working", then I guess I can say they work. I can't tell you which one I used when, because I keep changing apps, but I can't remember one that I stopped using because it didn't work.

Upvote 0
Interesting...

I don't know what the issue is, every other app I use (not very many) is problem free :( The new kitkat looks really sleek, but I really like my Office app, and offline GPS for when I'm out of town. The battery life is nice, particularly if you put the phone in standby mode.

@Rukbat, I listen to podcast on my way to work (45 min drive on freeway), also on my lunchbreak. In the car this is a big issue, because it would be unsafe trying to get the app working again while I'm driving.

Upvote 0
So far I have two answers, would like to hear other voices :)

The last three days, driving on my way to work, my podcast froze. This is the fifth podcast app I have tried (just started trying it out last Monday). When I'm driving I do not want to deal with it... very frustrating.

Switching to Android isn't that simple, because they are relatively expensive. The Lumia 520 works butter smooth with the OS, considering its specs. It's just too bad Microsoft has so much limitations on their OS, and app developers for whatever reason can't get things working perfectly.

ps: I'm not the only one that complains about podcast apps.

Upvote 0
I've been using Podder for a few months now no problem. This uses the device's own sound player app to actually play the podcasts. So if you're getting crashing here, it's not a problem with the podcast app, much more likely is a problem with the audio player.

It's similar to gPodder, it's lightweight, free and no ads. :thumbup:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dragontek.podder

BTW I've yet to actually see anyone with a Windows phone. Could be why devs are not too interested in it, in this country at least.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones