• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root doesnt boot into recovery unless i flash clockwork/sprecovery..

Hydr01d

Sep 19, 2010
Rooted my friends droid, backed up with tibu, went to make nandroid backup and it booted to a yelllow triangle exclamtiong thing. So I turned it off and back on and it loaded fine and I again went into rom manager and flashed clockwork again and rebooted into recovery, and it went fine. Another strange thing I noticed at this point was the phone would auto restart if left idle at clockwork recovery, which it doesn't do on my phone. So I rebooted from there and tried to reboot into recovery once it loaded and it was back to the angry triangle. Long story short it only goes into recovery after I flash either clockwork recovery or sprecovery, right after I flash it. Its the new adroid version and I rooted with that oneclick with that. I don't wanna screw his phone and somehow end up having to reformat. Any ideas what's going on?

And that's why I'm scared to flash a custom rom incase it freezes up or reboots after I wipe everything. I don't want it not to flash into recover and screw my friends phone lol

flashing a rom will fix this....renaming the install-recovery.sh file will also take care of this. If you have root explorer navigate to /system/etc and rename install-recovery.sh to install-recovery.bak

or with adb

adb shell
su
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.bak

or terminal emulator
su

Recovery should stick after that

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
The problem is that FroYo has a script that restores the STOCK recovery once you reboot as stated above. Thus, you can install Clockworkmod, etc, and you can directly boot into it. However, once you totally reboot your phone, Clockworkmod is gone, and you go into the stock recovery and get the yellow triangle. You don't need fancy software or custom ROMs to fix this (unless you want to). If the above fix doesn't work, also look for the file: /system/recovery-from-boot.p , and remove or rename this if it exists. Depens on the version of FroYo. Neall

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Hey i got terminal emulator and when i try to enter the code you wrote there it gives me a error message about it being a read only file. I cant figure out how to get adb to work ( or where to enter to the code) and its my friends phone and hes broke and wont pay 3 bucks for root explorer. Im gonna just try and flash a custom rom i think and see what happens.

Upvote 0
Sorry I skipped a step. Here are correct instructions

adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

or terminal emulator
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

Recovery should stick after that

Upvote 0
just wanted to bring this back up to the top say thanks... i was having the "haveto reflash clockwork everytime i wanted to get into recovery" prollem and happened across this. using root explorer i renamed rename install-recovery.sh and deleted /system/recovery-from-boot.p and it boots into recovery every time now.

so i guess as long as i dont accidentally install my original 2.1 backup,i should be good to go!

thanks again :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones