• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Don't they make PDA's anymore?

I am seriously considering reinstalling MobileWrite, and getting a stylus (to work with capacitive screens) just so that I can get back to fast input again. Using thumbs is just 'okay' but not instinctive for me.

And I'm with you all; the PIM apps need to step up. Pimlico is allegedly working on an Android app (hoo-freaking-ray!), and Splash has ID in the market, but not Shopper yet. I think that the recent influx of Android users with the Droid should bring in new and better talent for apps.

Now if we can only get the apps Market overhauled - that sucker needs some serious means of organization, tracking, version/upgrade notations, real grading/rating, and detailed information/screen shots. It's like the wild west in there right now. I (almost) feel bad for newbies/i-converts that are swimming in it.

Upvote 0
Now if we can only get the apps Market overhauled - that sucker needs some serious means of organization, tracking, version/upgrade notations, real grading/rating, and detailed information/screen shots.
As an aside, I'm having great success using "aTrackDog" (similar to "TrackerDog" for Palm) to manage app versions. :)

Upvote 0
Q1: Like others have said you can set up other emailing accounts, but google mail is as good or better than most of them so there's no reason not to use it.

Q2: If you get a phone with HTC phone with sense UI on it, your phone book and address books can be link and events like birthdays and appointments automatically appear in your calendar. You can have various phone number, like work home, emails etc. Not to mention facebook and flicker integration where they can pulling info like birthdays, profile pics from facebook straight into that persons phonebook info. Pretty much can do the things your asking.

Q3: Again using sense there's a really good calendar, plus it also has a full screen widget. Pure calendar widget from the market is very good as well.

Q4: plenty of free notepads on the market, even screen post it notes.

Q5: Market is linked to your google account and you can access it from your phone no need to go to a website as its an app on your phone. 20,000+ apps and expanding fast.

Q6: If I'm not mistaken local search on device appears in android version 1.6 upwards.

I've used PDA's for years, Going as far back as Psions and palms, anything you can do on them you can do on android without breaking sweat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones