• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Don't Update MixZing if you use the widgets

aburgthing

Jun 24, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
If you use the MixZing music player the latest update released today breaks both your lockscreen widget and even the standard widget on your desktop. It still shows up in your applications but to get your widgets back you have to buy the full application at $6.99. I like the player but getting your widgets back and not much else for the price is not quite worth it and I consider myself pretty liberal with buying good apps. Also it kinda p**sed me off to be "forced" to buy something that had the same functionality before the update. Anyway beware!

I'm sorry, but i need to comment on this.

I love this player. I've tried a few and settled on this one. I even paid for it. That doesn't bother me (paying for the full version). But you are completely right. After I did the update, it broke my lock screen (Meh), and the widget. OMFG!!!!! REALLY? The widget, the portal to all my digital media. This my friends is a major eff-up!

Did they do ANY qa work? I'm on a stock phone with zero 'customizing'.

:-(

I reaaaaaaaally hope there will be a fix waiting in my download queue tomorrow.......

Upvote 0
The same thing happened to me when I updated Meridian. For some reason, when they introduce the Move to SD feature, it moves the app automatically. But that borks all the widgets. Once you move it back to phone, it will stay that way if you have another update.

Just another example of how you have to pick and choose which apps to Move to SD. Mind you, I wouldn't even need to Move to SD if I had 2GB of app space like the Vibrant. <500MB of app space is a real weakness of the Evo. Even the Droid X has 1GB. If Gingerbread doesn't allow for all installed apps to run fully off of SD, they should force manufacturers to allow for at least 2GB of app space.

Upvote 0
so the update didn't break my widgets either. i'm rooted, not that this matters.

when i did the update it did not automatically move mixzing to my sd card. so i manually moved it to the sd card as a test, lost the widget options. moved it back and i still had no widget options, i didn't bother trying to reboot the phone. i just uninstalled mixzing and then redownloaded it and all is good again.

@OP, you should calm down. you didn't pay for anything nor do you need to, jeez. did you at least try to unistall and re download just to see if anything got messed up before posting?

anyway, its safe to update people!

Upvote 0
so the update didn't break my widgets either. i'm rooted, not that this matters.

when i did the update it did not automatically move mixzing to my sd card. so i manually moved it to the sd card as a test, lost the widget options. moved it back and i still had no widget options, i didn't bother trying to reboot the phone. i just uninstalled mixzing and then redownloaded it and all is good again.

@OP, you should calm down. you didn't pay for anything nor do you need to, jeez. did you at least try to unistall and re download just to see if anything got messed up before posting?

anyway, its safe to update people!

Calm Down? I gave my initial reaction to what happened when I updated the app. Didn't think it was an unwarranted message just trying to help people who may have encountered a problem like I did. I like the app and use it every day in my truck so it was/is important to me. I have long since got it to work. The mods can kill the thread as you noted there is a work around but at least others know now there IS a way to get your widgets back with the free version. I don't mind supporting the developers and pay for most apps that have the upgrade options I want. I think they do a helluva job and some pretty amazing things. I researched their own literature which stated "Unlimited use of the lock-screen widget" as a benefit of the paid version. I do plead guilty for not updating the information after I found the solution. Jeez

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones