Droid $119.99 with free shipping @ Dell.com

Last Updated:

1. chumley18

chumley18 New Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. Russellmaniakw

Russellmaniakw Well-Known Member

So I was planning on ordering two Droids this weekend. I can get a monthly discount with Verizon through my employer and can sign up through verizon's website and apply the discount immediately with waived activation fee. However if I can get the Droids through Dell and pay 240 total, I can then apply the discount after the fact. My only question is whether or not Verizon would then waive the activation fee for me. Anyone else get discounts on Verizon know if they are willing to retroactively waive activation fees for this sort of thing?

3. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

If you are coming to VZ for the first time, you might have to come into a store to show them proof of employment.

They couldn't do the discount online for some reason (for the plan), even though I went through my work email link. Just a heads up! The had to scan/pic my badge at work as proof!

4. Balczak

Balczak Member

If you already sent in the mail in rebate with the bar code from the box will Verizon still take the phone back?

5. fiercejt

fiercejt New Member

That would be a big NO.

6. fiercejt

fiercejt New Member

I definitely understand your intentions. I have gone through the discount verification process with Verizon, but it wasn't around the time I was upgrading or buying a new phone. It's a great plus to have in place before you go through the new phone activation process.

I doubt, however, that you will get them to retroactively waive the activation fees. But you could try talking them into it in person. I upgraded to the droid a month before my "new every two" just by talking to the manager.

Good luck. :)

7. bubbarob1978

bubbarob1978 Member

Actually that depends....

If you are within your 30 day return period they WILL take it back but deduct the amount of the rebate from your refund. I believe its written right on the receipt.

8. dougiesgoindeep

dougiesgoindeep Active Member

Anyone buy the phone with a credit card that has price protection? Most cards will refund you the difference within a certain number of days after the purchase if you find it for a lower price.

The problem is, at least for Visa, they require an original written ad showing the lower price (ie. internet ads are not acceptable). Is dell putting this price in a paper flyer?

9. Droid2001

Droid2001 Active Member

Will BB price match? I bought mine for 199 two weeks ago and got them to price match a few days later with Sears at $150. Any chance I get that 30 bucks back? Guess I should call them

10. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

When does the ad end? I can't find the expiration date lol..

11. lrossnm

lrossnm Well-Known Member

If I get a Droid online and it turns out to be a "dud" can it be returned to a Verizon Store for exchange? I am a current Verizon customer but the $120 from Dell is better than the $200 Verizon wants.

12. Nepherim

Nepherim Well-Known Member

@lrossnm: I suspect not. I brought my Droid on-line from Verizon Wireless. I went to a Verizon store today to see if they would price match Dell. It was an emphatic NO. Even to replace the phone they said I would need to ship it back to Verizon Online (using the pre-paid shipping slip that came with the phone). I spoke with 3 managers -- all said they do not price-match anyone.

13. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

They won't give you a activation credit if your buy from anyone besides them either.

14. xodustrance

xodustrance Well-Known Member

Still not as good as the $99 (no rebate, out of pocket) I paid through Verizon, with no activation. :D

15. designer43

designer43 Member

Gave up waiting for slow Verizon online. Found that Dell has it for $119.
    I ordered, and it wasn't 1/2 hr. later got email saying I was approved (used Visa). Shortly thereafter got shipping notice with tracking number and the phone # that Verizon assigned. Very pleased especially with free shipping and no sales tax. I feel kinda guilty after reading people had to pay $299 and mail in for rebate. Can't wait for Tue. delivery.:D

16. Russellmaniakw

Russellmaniakw Well-Known Member

care to enlighten us?

17. Droidood

Droidood Well-Known Member

Either:
    1.) You're lying
    or
    2.) We don't give a **** because it's some odd situation no one can replicate.

In either case, we still don't give a ****.

18. jrich

jrich Member

Thank you for posting this! I printed out the Dell.com page that indicated the lowered price and brought it to the BestBuy I purchased my Droid from. I was able to price match Dell's offer on top of my first price match from Sears.com ($149.99) when I first bought my device.

19. rasone77

rasone77 Member

I'd be careful about Dell. Every time I've ordered from them for a promotional item they give you hell when you actually want it. Expect delay after delay, and be careful cause they just might cancel it without telling you. When I ordered a promotional PS3 in September They also tried three times to get me to cancel the order and buy another at full price. They said they'd ship it that day if I did. I finally got it sometime at the end of October after I filed a Better Business Beureau complaint and made several call to Customer Service. (Ordered Sept 15th). If you don't mind the hassel of calling all the time (Because they will remove it from your online account status) to find out where it is.

I'd advise against it personally, especially if you already bought one from Verizon cause chances are you aren't going to get it when you want it, if at all.

20. rzawora

rzawora Member

All I want to do is point out to everyone that the authorized Verizon reseller involved in purchasing this phone from Dell is Simplexity. Simplexity is the owner of a popular online phone sales company called Wirefly. Wirefly currently sells it for $149. I have no personal experience of my own but I do have a friend who had a bad experience. I have also read a few others on a couple different forums from time to time.

A friend of mine switched his fiance's cell phone over to his plan not knowing she bought it through Wirefly. Wirefly then came and charged her card almost $300 for not fulfilling her contract. She even tried to get the bank (Discover) to remove the charge and they did, but after three weeks they reapplied the charge. When she called them asking why they said Wirefly contested the charge back and sent in a copy of the contract they had from purchase which stated this would happen if anything changed.

Apparently when you get a phone through them there's some kind of extra contract involved with Wirefly themselves so that you can't change things involved in your plan. The company does this because they get paid residuals from Verizon Wireless. People changing their plans or anything like that after the purchase affects how much money they are going to make. I would imagine there would be the same thing here dealing with Simplexity. See below for what it says on the main page...

...this is the owner of Wirefly...
    ...and again...
    Be sure to read everything in the fine print of that purchase. I would think especially for anyone who's going to return a phone to buy it from here. This means you're more than likely already a VZW customer. Just read the print and remember what you can and can't do until the contract is up.

21. lrossnm

lrossnm Well-Known Member

Thanks... Very informative post. I think I'll wait for my NE2.

22. anthrobot

anthrobot Member

Does anyone have any more experience ordering phones from Dell? I really want to take advantage of this deal, as I'm also ordering a Curve 8530 for my wife which they have for free, but I'm a little sketchy after some of the comments on here. I noticed also that Best Buy is a simplexity reseller as well, maybe we can get some feedback from people that have had luck ordering from them. Are they saying that if I change my plan to anything that costs less, I will be hit by these fees? I just returned my Droid to walmart because of a loose battery cover, and I would really like to take advantage of this price. Lets get some more feedback on this deal and this reseller.

23. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

If you change your plan to anything less or change/remove any features then they will hit you with the $300 fee.

24. anthrobot

anthrobot Member

Does this go for all Simplexity resellers? Who in your opinion would you recommend as a cheap alternative? I dont plan on changing my plan, but if i need to, say, add or remove a feature from one of my other lines, I really dont want to get hit with fees.

25. rasone77

rasone77 Member

I know for a fact that Dell is a horrible company to deal with when it comes to any kind of sale price. As stated above I ordered a PS3 on sale, in addition I ordered a sale price Hard Drive, and a sale price Wii. I ended up canceling the Wii on the first delay because it wasn't that great of a deal to begin with and on the hard drive they delayed it twice, then I canceled it and a week later it shows up on my back porch. It sat out there for three days before I found out I had it.

Avoid Dell for sales seriously. With the other company involved (Which I know nothing about) you're just asking for trouble. Just ask yourself if you want your $500 Droid sitting on your back porch for three days. That should give you a good idea of what to do.