• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid 2 Media Share problems

mvp1222

Lurker
Nov 21, 2010
Just got my Droid 2.

Trying to access shared folders on my home network (3 computers running XP) via the Media Share.

Set up the files for sharing on the computers.

On my Droid clicked on "Media Share" -> "Start" -> "Computer" -> "Copy" -> "Windows File Sharing" -> "Next" -> Shared 3 folders on my computer. -> "Next" -> Verified my home network was availabe, clicked "Next" -> clicked "Next" -> "Shared Folders" -> "Add Server" -> "Scan for Servers" ->

At this point it finds the IP address of the laptop Im working on. using DHCP.

But when I click on it, it keeps asking for a user name and password.

dont have one for XP and no password on the files.

Can anyone help? Thanks,
Mark

Can you access the shared folders from the respective PCs?

Worst case, you'll just have to create a user account and password on the PC housing the files. Then, allow "Everyone" read/write access on the share folder (just right-click on the folder, and go into "Sharing".).

You're getting farther than me however. I can't see any shared folders "just by clicking on Media Share). That app sees my network, but then tells me to go to my "Connected File Manager". When I open the file manager, it does not see any shares. With EStrong's File manager, I can see/connect to everything on my network.

I also can not seem to find any media players that will connect to my PC's media libraries (XP/Win7). My Nokia N900 would find shares via its native Media Player, and which had one-click access. Once connected via media player, I could copy/paste files via the native file manager.

Oh well, good luck.

Upvote 0
Just got my Droid 2.

But when I click on it, it keeps asking for a user name and password.

dont have one for XP and no password on the files.

Can anyone help? Thanks,
Mark

Everyone has a User name on XP, it was set up the first time you booted the OS. Go to start/control panel/user accounts. You'll see it there, along with the guest account. You do not have to have a PW in XP. Try entering the user ID and leaving the password blank on the Droid. You should be good to go. If you want a long explanation feel free to ask.

Upvote 0
Everyone has a User name on XP, it was set up the first time you booted the OS. Go to start/control panel/user accounts. You'll see it there, along with the guest account. You do not have to have a PW in XP. Try entering the user ID and leaving the password blank on the Droid. You should be good to go. If you want a long explanation feel free to ask.

Already tried leaving it blank and creating new accounts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones