• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DROID 2, what a waste of time and money!

AHoL2206

Jul 6, 2010
so i went to my local verizon store friday to check out the new D2. WOW, what a disappointment! I mean, come on MOTO why even waste your time and ours?

MOTO Idea Center for D2 quotes....
1. hey the DROID Has been such a hit, it has basically kept us out of bankruptcy in the wireless market, we should keep it up with DROID 2! (GOOD)
2. let's keep the same form factor as we did with the original since it was such a hit! just a few hardware tweaks! (GOOD)
3. ya know, the D1 did so well pushing out a new version of android we should do the same with D2 and ship with FROYO! (GOOD)
4. the original droid was nice and solid, and felt real industrial in your hands....though, we could save money with more cheap plastic (UH OH, tides are turning)
5. let's just keep the original screen, its pretty sweet.....right?
6. also, the camera was fine at 5MP right? let's keep it the same also!
7. ya know, a lot of people said they like to customize that stock android OS, we should make things easier for the everyday user and just give them MOTOBLUR to start with......since we spent so much time in our software group f***ing up android!!!! (BLAH)
8. finally, we will stick a 1gHz processor in here so we can make everyone think how the D2 will greatly outperform a D1 so they HAVE to upgrade! (whatevs)

and thats pretty much it! Droid 2 sucks for air! i am sticking with my D1 until either Gingerbread comes out, or a new Developer phone for Big Red comes out.....

agreed...i was in verizon compairing my rooted D1 to the stock D2 and there was no difference in speed at all. there really isn't a single thing i like about the D2 over the D1. even the keyboard was worse IMO...the bumps are so much bigger than the D1 bumps it felt like i was clicking on some marbles...the screen...it was great back then...it is still great now. sure it isn't 4.3" but it is still the second sharpest image for a screen available (behind the iPhone 4)

Upvote 0
I will follow the Dev community whever they lead me .... I think we may end up with a samsung in the future .... (just a guess)

I've been thinking the same. If they release a high quality Samsung phone for Verizon I'll probably go with that. Not purchasing anything by Moto going forward until they fix their anti-consumer bootloader garbage.

Upvote 0
I've been thinking the same. If they release a high quality Samsung phone for Verizon I'll probably go with that. Not purchasing anything by Moto going forward until they fix their anti-consumer bootloader garbage.
Same. If Moto wants to use Android without keeping it open, then I think they should have went bankrupt. Atleast we got the Droid.

Great thing that the original Droid got a 8/10 on Engadget, while the Droid 2 got a 6/10.

Upvote 0
My major problem with the Droid 2 is the incorporated residual income for motorola. new dock, can't use my old dock with it?! I have 2 one for work and one at home. So if I wanted to spend the money for it I'd have to shell out another almost $100 in docks so I can continue to charge at work and home!! That's enought to put me off it. I'll wait thank you.

Upvote 0
Motorola went for the brass ring to get them out of financial trouble, which was an iPhone killer. They made one, too, IMO (...and many others). But they didn't do it alone. The coming together of the better Android OS with the apps market, the exceptional phone, and Verizon relaxing it's usually uptight grip on phone lockdown made the Droid what it is. I personally don't see that all jelling again that way for an awful long time. In fact, I think it was basically a fluke. None of these three players has any reason to give us so much in one package again. There will be disappointing compromises, even if it's only build quality.
I'm not a new-tech junkie, so it'll be easy for me, but I don't think I'll get bored of my Droid for a really long time. In fact, I'm on the hunt for an affordable back up spare. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones