• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid 4 Hacked?

Dudeitstom

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
I've used the Droid 4 for a few years and I love it. However over the past 6 months weird things began happening to my phone. Small things at first like receiving a spam text or my phone restarting. Later files began disappearing both on my phone and my back up, new things would be added, my phone making calls by itself and the screens moving. I would also receive random texts from other numbers and I noticed apps would quickly install and uninstall on my phone. today it restored itself to factory defaults about 4 times. I've never had any trouble with my phones before, but I'm thinking I may have hit a bogus wifi hotspot by accident and somebody has taken over my phone. For the time being I'm using an older one, but has anything like this happened to anybody on here? Is my sim card in danger of being hacked, or is this just a hardware issue?

Would antivirus software do any good against this or a hacker? It automatically reset itself four times so I never got a chance to do anything because everything kept getting deleted. I thought the phone was just getting old until it started acting on its own. I'm glad I never installed a credit card number so it isnt that bad, i just don't know what else they could have gotten from me or done with my phone. for the time being, i put my sim into an old phone and am using that.

Upvote 0
Assuming you are not root-ed ...

In the failing phone you could try running in Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them) and if the problems stop they are caused by an app that you added. The instructions at ... Safe Mode - DROID 4 by MOTOROLA ... tell you how to do it.

If the problems are still there in Safe Mode I would do a Factory Data Reset.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I've never heard of a phone doing a Factory Data Reset that was not requested. Perhaps we are not talking about the same thing. What I am talking about is described in ... Hard Reset - DROID 4 by MOTOROLA.

If that is done you sill loose all data including your contacts so proceed with that understanding and preferably you have them all backed up on Google already.

If it was mine and I did a Factory data Reset and I still had the problem then I would be standing in a Verizon store getting it replaced.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones