• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid and Milestone differences

Does anyone have a list of differences between the Droid and Milestone?
I have a Milestone but most of the information on the Web is about the Droid.

My current concern is about the amount of user flash memory.

All information relating to the Droid states that there is 256MB available for user apps, yet on my Milestone, it only shows 197MB available??

Also, I have a few applications installed:

Code:
[FONT=Courier New]
AndFTP                  1.18
AndNav2                 6.39
Android Agenda Widget   0.15
ConnectBot              1.20
DockRunner              0.04
eRay                    0.55
Internal Memory Widget  0.03
OI Shopping List        0.35
Qik                     0.92
ShopSavvy               1.67
Skype                   0.85
Solitaire               0.22
Translate               0.43
TV Guide                0.36
Twidroid                2.09
unit Converter          0.27
                       16.70                [/FONT]
Yet under 'SD card and Phone storage' it shows 110MB available.
110MB + 16.7MB != 197MB, where has the rest of the storage gone?

D

My guess would be the OS itself. When they say there is 256 MB available for apps, they really mean to say "You have 256 MB of internal memory. Apps get installed on internal memory". The OS is also installed on the internal memory, unless there is something different about the Milestone or Droid.

It's like buying a new computer with a 250 GB hard drive and wondering why you really only see 227 GB (or something like that) because Windows is installed, and there's a hidden partition for recovery files.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've notice my free internal 'disk space' goes up and down with day to day usage.

My reason for asking was many people with Droids were saying they had 30-40 apps installed and still had over 200MB free, where as I wasn't seeing 200MB free with no apps installed.

I'll be glad when someone figures out how to root the Droid/Milestone then we can use the hardware to its full potential, and put stuff on the SD card.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've notice my free internal 'disk space' goes up and down with day to day usage.

My reason for asking was many people with Droids were saying they had 30-40 apps installed and still had over 200MB free, where as I wasn't seeing 200MB free with no apps installed.

I'll be glad when someone figures out how to root the Droid/Milestone then we can use the hardware to its full potential, and put stuff on the SD card.

Apps on the SD card is supposed be coming in the near future with an updated Android version... here's hoping that this is v2.1!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones