• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Incredible Not turning back on!!

cc6547

Apr 23, 2014
My droid incredible started having problems the other day with any apps I open force closing so I factory reset it but then it would just give me no storage space warning even when there was no anything on the phone or sd card. I then turned it off and went to bed but now when I boot it up it gets to the red droid thing and then starts the boot up process all over again. ive tried holding down the volume button but clock work mod v 5.0.2 or whatever I have doesn't do anything ive left it on the restore option for hours and nothing happens.

Please help!!!!
Any ideas will help!!

P.S. the charger port is broken so computers don't recognize it :/

My droid incredible started having problems the other day with any apps I open force closing so I factory reset it but then it would just give me no storage space warning even when there was no anything on the phone or sd card. I then turned it off and went to bed but now when I boot it up it gets to the red droid thing and then starts the boot up process all over again. ive tried holding down the volume button but clock work mod v 5.0.2 or whatever I have doesn't do anything ive left it on the restore option for hours and nothing happens.

Please help!!!!
Any ideas will help!!

P.S. the charger port is broken so computers don't recognize it :/

Per your quote, I'm hoping you are simply attempting to access recovery wrong. Pull the battery then replace. Then press and hold volume down and the power button together. If all goes well, you'll enter hboot at which point you can use the volume buttons to scroll to recover and use power to select it.

If you get that far and you have a nandroid backup you can try to restore, that may be your best option. Or had you already entered recovery successfully and you're saying the nandroid restore is what was hanging up? I couldn't tell for sure by your post. If not, you may want to pull the sdcard and place a rom on it, then use clockwork to flash that.

Reactions: cc6547
Upvote 0
Per your quote, I'm hoping you are simply attempting to access recovery wrong. Pull the battery then replace. Then press and hold volume down and the power button together. If all goes well, you'll enter hboot at which point you can use the volume buttons to scroll to recover and use power to select it.

If you get that far and you have a nandroid backup you can try to restore, that may be your best option. Or had you already entered recovery successfully and you're saying the nandroid restore is what was hanging up? I couldn't tell for sure by your post. If not, you may want to pull the sdcard and place a rom on it, then use clockwork to flash that.

I tried the recovery but it doesn't do anything. Clockwork just sits there until the battery dies. as far as placing a rom and using clock work to flash it I have no idea what any of that means... :/

Upvote 0
I tried the recovery but it doesn't do anything. Clockwork just sits there until the battery dies. as far as placing a rom and using clock work to flash it I have no idea what any of that means... :/

Ok. Well, what I meant with the rom thing was to pull the sdcard from the phone and use either a USB card reader if you have one or perhaps a laptop or PC which has a card reader built in...and download a flashable custom rom to a computer. Then transfer the rom zip onto the phones sdcard. Then replace the card into the phone.

After that, go back into clockwork and choose the options to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard, then you can locate the rom and flash it. That should get you back to a booting phone if all goes well.

Upvote 0
Ok. Well, what I meant with the rom thing was to pull the sdcard from the phone and use either a USB card reader if you have one or perhaps a laptop or PC which has a card reader built in...and download a flashable custom rom to a computer. Then transfer the rom zip onto the phones sdcard. Then replace the card into the phone.

After that, go back into clockwork and choose the options to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard, then you can locate the rom and flash it. That should get you back to a booting phone if all goes well.

sorry about all the questions but do you know of links to a rom I should use?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Upvote 0
sorry about all the questions but do you know of links to a rom I should use?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Were you on stock prior to this? If so, what OS were you running Ice Cream Sandwich? I don't even know what version of stock this phone ended up with. I haven't run the Incredible in a handful of years now.

Upvote 0
Ok I think this might be about the last stock related rom for this phone so maybe try this one:

[ROM] Stock rooted OTA 4.08.605.19 710RD - 02-10-2013 - xda-developers

Couple tips if you haven't flashed a rom before. You leave the rom zipped when you put it onto the sdcard. Although you've seemingly already wiped the phone, let's be on the safe side and do the following from clockwork recovery once the above rom is on the card and the card is back in the phone:

1.) From a powered off state, use volume down and the power key to enter hboot. Please note on the top of the hboot screen if you are listed as s-on or s-off just for my own curiosity sake.

2.) Scroll to the recovery option using volume buttons and power to enter recovery.

3.) Once in recovery, wipe data (factory reset), wipe cache, and under advanced menu, wipe dalvik cache.

4.) Now choose option to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard, find the rom you placed on the card and select it to flash. Be patient, do not interrupt this process.

5.) When flash is complete, if need be, choose option to reboot to system.

6.) Hopefully, profit. :)

Upvote 0
Ok I think this might be about the last stock related rom for this phone so maybe try this one:

Couple tips if you haven't flashed a rom before. You leave the rom zipped when you put it onto the sdcard. Although you've seemingly already wiped the phone, let's be on the safe side and do the following from clockwork recovery once the above rom is on the card and the card is back in the phone:

1.) From a powered off state, use volume down and the power key to enter hboot. Please note on the top of the hboot screen if you are listed as s-on or s-off just for my own curiosity sake.

2.) Scroll to the recovery option using volume buttons and power to enter recovery.

3.) Once in recovery, wipe data (factory reset), wipe cache, and under advanced menu, wipe dalvik cache.

4.) Now choose option to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard, find the rom you placed on the card and select it to flash. Be patient, do not interrupt this process.

it says s on and I have the slight problem of having no way to acces the sd card... I don't have any way to read and the charging port is jacked up :/

Upvote 0
it says s on and I have the slight problem of having no way to acces the sd card... I don't have any way to read and the charging port is jacked up :/

That's why I said to physically remove the card from the phone and use a card reader and PC to make that happen. If you have absolutely no way to do that, hopefully you can find access to one from a friend or buy a USB card reader from Walmart, amazon etc. They're rather cheap. :)

Upvote 0
If you don't have a laptop with a built in sd slot, here's what I'm talking about for a standalone option:

IOGEAR GFR209 12-in-1 Pocket Card Reader/Writer - Walmart.com

10 bucks. And then you of course need a regular size sd adapter sleeve to place your microsd card into unless you have a card reader that actually has a micro sd slot which mine doesn't. Hopefully you have one laying around from when you bought micro cards but they look like this:

tf_adaptor2.jpg

Upvote 0
Just thought of another off the wall thought and no idea if this would work but if you happened to have a digital camera that takes an sdcard and that also has a cable that connects to usb...you MIGHT be able to connect that to a pc, browse the contents of the sdcard IF it shows up as a disk drive...and then drag and drop the rom onto the microsd card (in an adapter sleeve).

Just spitballing there, again not sure if that would fly or not. My initial fear would be if it tried formatting it to something that wouldn't work for this type of application so maybe only try that as a last resort if you try it at all.

Upvote 0
Just thought of another off the wall thought and no idea if this would work but if you happened to have a digital camera that takes an sdcard and that also has a cable that connects to usb...you MIGHT be able to connect that to a pc, browse the contents of the sdcard IF it shows up as a disk drive...and then drag and drop the rom onto the microsd card (in an adapter sleeve).

Just spitballing there, again not sure if that would fly or not. My initial fear would be if it tried formatting it to something that wouldn't work for this type of application so maybe only try that as a last resort if you try it at all.

So I have the rom on the sd card and I went into the recovery option to try and reset all the things you said but clockwork for some reason just doesn't do anything. when I click on any option it just goes straight to the clockwork logo until I press the back or home button...

Upvote 0
So I have the rom on the sd card and I went into the recovery option to try and reset all the things you said but clockwork for some reason just doesn't do anything. when I click on any option it just goes straight to the clockwork logo until I press the back or home button...

Ah yes I should have warned you about that. As you've noticed, while in hboot, you use the volume buttons to scroll and the power button to make a selection.

In Clockwork, they changed the buttons and what they do. Once in Clockwork, you still use volume to scroll but use the TRACKPAD BUTTON to make selections. The power button can be used to bring you backwards one menu. So if you're using the power button on the main menu, it will indeed bring you to the clockwork logo every time.

Upvote 0

so I did all of this just like you said but when I flash it with this zip it gives me a message saying "set-perm: some changes failed E:error in (zip files name) Status 7 installation aborted"

Upvote 0
so I did all of this just like you said but when I flash it with this zip it gives me a message saying "set-perm: some changes failed E:error in (zip files name) Status 7 installation aborted"

Only advice I have on that is to re-download the rom and check the md5 if was provided by the developer. Sounds possible that you have a bad download although I'm not positive on that. Certainly worth a try though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones