• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Maxx not connecting to data network (maybe)

sonofaresiii

Android Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2011
NYC
So preface, I had a droid maxx whose radio connections all died after about eight months. I took it in and got a new one under warranty. The replacement's power button didn't work. Took it in and got a new one under warranty. That's the one I'm currently on, and have had it problem-free for about four months.

Until today. Connection to the data network has failed. No discernible reason, it worked fine last night, but now where the mobile data symbol would be (3G, 4G, etc) is just blank (mostly, more on that in a second), as though I've got no signal. However, cell reception is fine and I can send and receive calls no problem.

Here's the odd part: when I connect to wifi, 1x comes up for data network. It's grayed out, because I'm on wifi, but it's there. I also can't seem to send texts, however I did receive one text while on wifi (and the 1x was up). Don't know if this was a fluke or what, I haven't received any others (don't know if they've been blocked or I'm unpopular today).

So like I said, no idea what could have caused this, no out-of-the-ordinary usage, worked fine last night, I set it on my night stand, and this morning it wouldn't work.

Any ideas? I've tried turning it off and on again, and toggling airplane mode. I'd really prefer not to do a factory reset. And I'd really, really prefer not to get another replacement phone. I'm not sure if the warranty even extends four months on replacement phones.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones