• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Smart Switch issues

ZepTepi

Android Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2011
San Diego, CA
I've received a replacement S22 Ultra from Verizon and attempted to use Smart Switch to get everything transferred to the new device but I'm having issues.
I'm at the "Get connected" screen on both devices and both are connected to the same WiFi network yet my old device continues to show the "Check WiFi network. Make sure that both devices are connected to the same WiFi network, then try again" message. I click on "Connect" button and it seems to attempt to connect to the new device but eventually goes back to the same message. I can't get past this point.

Neither device is rooted and I have not yet moved the sim card from the old device into the new one because I believe this is done after transferring the data, correct?

You might try rebooting your router and then try connecting both device.
I don't believe it's a router issue. I'm doing this at work at the hotel I work at on the guest WiFi network and checked with another co-worker who checked the WiFi and they have connectivity. Besides, I don't have access to the WiFi equipment to reset any of it without a call to the WiFi providers tech support.

Upvote 0
Smart Switch is an issue. With my new A03s, it asked if I wanted to transfer from my old phone, a Galaxy S5. I had the app already installed on the S5, but the whole process was interrupted because the new phone wanted to 'update' the Smart Switch app to continue, so I accepted, but then nothing. It progressed through the setup wizard and never mentioned anything ever again. But at least all my Google Play stuff synced up fine!

I can't think of one time where Smart Switch actually worked. I have the same bad luck with Wifi direct, forcing me to use Bluetooth to transfer files from computer or tablet to phone, because Type-C and Windows 7 are mortal enemies.

Upvote 0
Smart Switch is an issue. With my new A03s, it asked if I wanted to transfer from my old phone, a Galaxy S5. I had the app already installed on the S5, but the whole process was interrupted because the new phone wanted to 'update' the Smart Switch app to continue, so I accepted, but then nothing. It progressed through the setup wizard and never mentioned anything ever again. But at least all my Google Play stuff synced up fine!

I can't think of one time where Smart Switch actually worked. I have the same bad luck with Wifi direct, forcing me to use Bluetooth to transfer files from computer or tablet to phone, because Type-C and Windows 7 are mortal enemies.
smart switch has worked great for me going from my note 10+ to the z fold 3 and then from the fold 3 to the z fold 4. never had any issues.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I don't know what went wrong. It said it had to update, so I let it do that, the wizard finished. I expected it to catch up and do its thing after, but nope. It's like it forgot that I wanted to transfer stuff. This isn't the first instance of it failing in some fashion. Often it just says 'something went wrong, try later' and never works at all.

So like all the other times I've switched phones, I just re-installed each app one by one and it took a total of three days to get everything back the way I wanted. It's worse today since a lot of apps I consider essential aren't included in the out of box state today, since people kept complaining about 'bloat'. There wasn't even a music player installed out of the box. I miss how a Samsung was ready to go out of the box, without needing an app store visit. I mean, the S5 came with a music player, online radio app (Slacker), IMDB, Kindle app, even a remote control app. Today all you get is a smattering of Google apps, a couple of Samsung apps (Internet and Messages, maybe you get Email too) but that's pretty much it. It just adds to the time to finish setting up a device.

I'm one of the few people who prefers Samsung's apps over Google's (mainly because Google keeps killing apps so longevity isn't there and I can't get used to something that's taken away soon as I get accustomed to it) but I always love what everyone else hates it seems. I loved the 'bloat' since it meant a phone was ready to go as you left the carrier store. Now I have to spend days setting a phone up because they made it basic. Luckily I don't upgrade often anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd also suggest you continue using Smart Switch, the point being there are actually hundreds of thousands of Samsung owners who use it without a glitch. An overwhelming number greater than the isolated incidents with those who do have a problems using it. So just keep a balanced perspective.
But regarding your problems, it does sound a lot more like some kind of networking and/or connectivity issue you need to address first, not so much a problem with the Smart Switch utility. I would strongly suggest you do this project at home in a more secure and reliable setting. Hotel WiFi networks are public services and should always be used with a lot of forethought. They're not very secure and there's a likely to be a lot of content filtering/restrictions in place. Using a hotel WiFi network to do something like file transferring large amounts of data between devices might be blocked by firewalling. But really, even it was working out, you would be transferring the user account from one phone to another and all over a WiFi network that's not secure and not private, exposing all your data as they copy over from one phone to the other.

Or as others have suggested, just use a direct, phone-to-phone ad hoc connection instead of that hazardous hotel WiFi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones