• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

droid or wait for nexus one?

Did we lose any of our good developers to the nexus coming out? In regards to rooting...I just haven't really heard anything about new ROMs for the DROID or anything new like that recently..

The nexus will have wayyy more ROMs including Cyanogen for root which is a major major plus. Man do I wish he'd do work on the Droid! It'd be amazing! Like Chicken Marsala! ;) But did we lose developers to the Nexus one?!

Upvote 0
I'm in the exact same situation too. I have until Jan 28th to take back the DROID. I love everything about the phone except the phone itself... Its too heavy (girl here) and I don't use the keyboard because it causes me to make so many errors. I downloaded swype and I know that I will be completely happy with that program, not needing anything but a virtual keyboard. I like the shape and lighter weight that the N1 offers. I will keep my droid until the last possible day and then be switching back to my LG Dare :( My only hope is that something else comes out by HTC before the 28th, like maybe the incredible :thinking: That would be nice ( a girl can dream!)

Upvote 0
Did we lose any of our good developers to the nexus coming out? In regards to rooting...I just haven't really heard anything about new ROMs for the DROID or anything new like that recently..

The nexus will have wayyy more ROMs including Cyanogen for root which is a major major plus. Man do I wish he'd do work on the Droid! It'd be amazing! Like Chicken Marsala! ;) But did we lose developers to the Nexus one?!

We lost humancyborg, the original creator of the 2.1 ROM's.

Chicken%20Marsala.jpg

Upvote 0
We lost humancyborg, the original creator of the 2.1 ROM's.

Man that sure looks good. I think I know where to take the wife this weekend. Chicken Marsala!

Even if we did lose humancyborg, he'll still be able to create 2.1 ROMs, etc., won't he?

And won't we be able to port those over to the Droid?

I have to admit I do not have a clear understanding of all this dev-speak and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Upvote 0
What the heck is wrong with people's fingers that they can't use the physical keyboard? Seriously, I want people to take a picture of their hands for everyone who's complained. Do you have fat fingers or something? Calloused? I can fly just as fast (more often, faster) on the physical keyboard than the virtual while being MUCH more accurate. Is it the best keyboard? Probably not, but it's more than satisfactory.

I am a big guy, 6'3" ~250, but my hands are not too terribly big, not fat fingers, no calluses. The Droid keyboard sorta works for me, but it could be much better.

I loved the old Treo 650 / 700 keyboards for dual thumb typing. Raised keys with separation! The droid keyboard is lacking, but workable. I will get there, but it is still a bit awkward because you have to be more careful where you push the keys.

I still really miss the keyboard, the hardware shortcut keys, and the mute switch... But I could never go back, the browser and speed and display are awesome on the droid.

Upvote 0
A couple of questions/comments. I just switched back to AT&T and the iphone to the Droid and Verizon...reason..no reception most of the time with the iphone in my home..okay in the driveway!..I really like the iphone but the Droid is great. Not an iphone killer but great.

I was told by Verizon that if you return a Droid/Eris...there is a $35 restocking fee. different from their regular phones

Also was told and read that the N1 can only be purchased from Google..not from T-Mobile. all support/warranty/service is from Google..may be good or bad...and if you opt for the N1 now and don't go with T-Mobile you pay over $500 but no contract and supposedly will run on other networks.

for the time being I am sticking with the Droid

Upvote 0
N1 = DROID - KB - 12GB microSD + 256MB RAM + AMOLED + $20 in your pocket

A little off.

Droid has 256MB internal storage
N1 has 174MB

According to phone scoop.

N1 has 480x800x16bit color (65,536)
Droid is 480x854x24bit color (16.7 million)

Big difference there.

AMOLED is really dim and basically useless in sunlight...my droid with auto brightness on is perfectly visable in sun.

And best of all Droid has Gorilla Glass that can withstand some major trauma and not even phase it.

Upvote 0
Personally, on this date, I'd wait for N1. But, it's all about your personal preferences. I personally did not like the Moto Droid but you might. Also, for me and my extensive negative experience with them, I would probably never buy another Motorola product again. My current HTC product is working wonderfully for me so, again, I say wait.

Say what you will about Moto, but the E815 was one of the best phones ever made! Built like a brick and made a great call from anywhere. The Droid is the smart phone version of that unit. I have not been so happy with a phone since the E815.

HTC on the other hand gave me the XV6800, one of the bulkiest worst phones I have ever owned. Basically useless as a phone since the volume was SO low you could barely hear anything in a quiet room. As a PDA it did a decent job (as good as a windows mobile device can muster)...but it was a behemoth and it really sucked as a phone.

So when I heard there was a motorola droid coming out I was stoked! And I have been thus far extremely pleased with it!

You must have had a Razr....that thing was a mess from the start!

Upvote 0
This has been an interesting thread. What it shows to me is the basic fact that no single design of anything will please everybody. Whatever we get, it is a set of compromises, and we take what we like and put up with the rest. Kind of like friends I suppose.

I think in terms of raw power and ability, the Droid is about right. I sort of cussed when I heard about the Nexus, but I am satisfied enough with the Droid I am waiting for Droid 2. Competition will drive improvement, and while there are a few things about the Droid that I would change, it overall is great. It has a solid substantial feel and elegant appearance the Nexus lacks. The Nexus just looks like any other HTC product (and that is not a bad thing).

What I REALLY like about the Droid is the Gorilla Glass screen, and the display behind the screen. AMOLED has an outdoors dim reputation, and I use the device outside quite a bit, as I work outside. Most screens are too dim for me, and in truth I wish the Droid would go even brighter.

Another thing I will wait for is a 4" or a bit more screen, neither Droid or Nexus has that. So the next Droid likely will have a Snapdragon, or how far away are we from a dual core Smart phone? So, I'm waiting for the next Android OS update and plan to learn the phone so I have a better idea of what I really need to ultimately replace it. I readily admit the Snapdragon cpu would have sold me a Nexus, if Verizon supported it for $179, but it didn't, I was sick of WinMo, and am happy with the Droid.

I've gone from the Moto Q> Treo 700w> Verizon 6900> Droid Eris> Droid. I am thankful to be rid of WinMo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones