• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Proximity Sensor (advice needed, not support)

Hey all,

I put this in this section for more responses, as this is not a troubleshooting issue per se.

I am on my 4th Droid now, after having numerous issues, this one seems to fit the bill... almost.

The damn proximity sensor never works, and I always hang up on calls, or accidentally hit a button, whether I have this on my shoulder or not. After all these issues, I may finally push for a D2, but am curious if the D2 has the same proximity sensor issues -- it is really frustrating, and I AM NOT trying to swindle Verizon here for a new phone. I just want one without these issues.

Advice, as always, is greatly appreciated!

I'm having these same issues and I'm considering calling up Verizon myself. I can't stand hanging up on people in the middle of every other call I make, and I'm fairly certain it only started when I got my replacement Droid. So, just telling you, not all Droids are the same. They might use that fact to argue that they could keep sending you D1's until you get one with a decent proximity sensor. My first Droid's sensor was definitely good.

Upvote 0
Glad its not just me. Just got off the phone with a Verizon rep, but I have to get going so they're gonna call me back. She said keep testing it and then let them know what happens in the morning. They technically moved me from an Eris to a Droid, and she already hinted that I had been upgraded once, so I have no idea what they may send me. A working Droid would be more than fine, but I am tired of these refurbs. :(

Upvote 0
Yeah, since the day people started getting replacement DROIDs, I have rarely found someone fully satisfied with the replacement - many have been a lot happier than their original one, but there are always little tiny things that just ain't right about the replacements.

I can say this - my original DROID is still perfectly fine with regards to the proximity sensor. And, now that I think about it, it is not surprising that replacement DROIDs (many, if not most / all, of which are refurbished items) have proximity sensor issues. When they were manufactured they were probably assembled in clean rooms, but when they were tested, it would have been by humans, so the rooms were not sterile clean rooms.

FWIW, you could probably find instructions on opening it up and simply blow out the area where the sensor resides, and that should fix it right up, provided that you don't allow anything else into the .. cavity .. to further occlude the sensor.

Of course, since you're getting replacements under warranty, you may not want to - doing so will definitely void your warranty.

Upvote 0
I had this same issue and was told about "screen suite" in the apps. It was the best $1.99 that I spent. (I also went through 5 phones) Go on and try the trial version for the 3 days and see how it works. Just make sure that you change the settings so it auto locks during a call... there have been a few updates in this last week, but they have corrected the "bugs" that had gone with the update.. I never thought of uninstalling once! I never hang up, mute or do anything to do with the sensor that I was before.. Hope it helps some of you as it was a phone savor for me!

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones