droid reaches end of life...

Last Updated:

1. IxI Dan IxI

IxI Dan IxI Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

According to d. Iroid life.com.....yeah a link would be good hujh??? lol

I'm on my droid now......but that sux that not even a year...and your outdated....

Maybe someday.....phones will be like a pc......you can add more memory and ram....without needing a new phone.....

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

VZW wants it GONE because it's so easily rootable and modifiable. They want locked down phones over which they have total control. So much for open-source, huh? :mad:

3. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

It'll still live on, it's the original, the one that started it all, It'll always be "THE" Droid!

4. IxI Dan IxI

IxI Dan IxI Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I wonder if I can have a dx for free if I trade in the Droid... just kidding. :)

5. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Do you think that is really the case? If it was, wouldn't Verizon offer ANYONE with a Droid an early upgrade (ie. Under 1 Year until upgrade, $199, over 1 Year, $249 or $299.)

IMO, this has more to do with Moto wanting to protect MotoBlur, but that is just my opinion...

6. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member

the x has a locked boot loader which keeps it from being as modifiable. it can be rooted, probably but with a lot less options! i wonder if droid 2 will have an unlocked bootloader? perhaps this will tell us!

7. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

The both have encrypted bootloaders. All future phones probably will as well. I'll be sticking with the original moto droid until something comes along that completely blows it out of the water.

8. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

Well considering that my rooted and rom'd droid is running at 1.1 gigs and currently has better Quadrant scores then any of the "new" phones out there, I'm really not worried about it becoming obsolete anytime soon... When my contract is up then I will be getting another "dev" phone more then likely from Samsung who actually want to support mods...

9. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Amen, brother, preach on, preach on!

I love my DROID - and I am sticking with my DROID until it becomes infeasible to continue to use it (namely, when Gingerbread is released).

At that point, I go with whomever is offering phones that can be unlocked. Easily. With no eFuse and (hopefully!) no MotoBLUR and no SenseUI.

10. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

I will wait out my contract (really want to wait for LTE to be up on VZW)... I don't think we need to worry about Gingerbread on the Droid, I mean Cyanogen got Froyo running on the G1 and that thing was ancient at least a year or two ago :p

11. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I'll be doing the same. I can't upgrade till next Spring (I think) anyway, but I'll probably hold out even then, so 4g can get more penetration (hopefully to my area) and newer phones come out. I'm targeting Late Summer/Fall 2011....

12. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

I'm with you guys, I'm riding the Droid train until it stops.

13. johnnybirdman

johnnybirdman Well-Known Member

Viva la Droid!

J.

14. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

I think the openness of the original Droid was a business decision so they could push all the What iDon't DROID DOES stuff. If they would've locked it down people would've been shooting down their whole campaign. Now that Android has grown so much Verizon wants control back, as they've always had before. I think that's why their EOL'ing it. New handsets coming, no point in pushing one people can hack so easily.

15. snapcase

snapcase Well-Known Member

They wouldn't do that because they couldn't make money off of it. Better to stop supporting the phone and force people to buy into a new phone.

Hell yes. I thought the Droid X looked tempting, but this boot loader crap turned me off. I want another phone as open as the original Droid if I'm gonna upgrade from it. I don't want a phone manufacturer's UI mods (Sense, Blur, etc), if I did I would have gotten an HTC phone off the bat. I just want a phone with kickass hardware and JUST the Android OS.

16. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

If anything, I think the combination of the newer phones being all locked up + the Droid not being made anymore just makes our phones THAT much more valuable.

17. loomer

loomer Well-Known Member

If this were the case, why are they still selling it?

18. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

some 15 year old geek will crack that locked bootloader.. just give it time :)