• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X Battery Problem

Check and see what battery setting you are on, if you are on the "Performance mode" setting then it will drain the battery greatly. I have my screen set at 45% on brightness with a widget from the Beatuiful widgets app that will put it back to 100% when I need it, that helps alot.

Also it depends on how strong the signal is in the area the phone is. Weaker signal = more battery consumption, stronger signal = less battery consumption to keep a connection.

Upvote 0
I've been pretty impressed with the battery life (other than the display problem).

First charge lasted 1 day 21 hours, including about 6 hours of streaming pandora, 1 hour of youtube over wifi, downloading about 80 apps, playing with it for hours and hours. email sync (2 personal 1 work account), having wifi, bluetooth, and gps on during the entire time. It almost reached 2 full days.

Second charge, a little over 15 hours so far and it just dropped down to 80%. (who knows if I reboot it, it'll probably go back up to 100%). again, wifi, bluetooth, gps on during the entire time. email sync, playing a bit, reading news, and a little bit of pandora streaming.

very impressed.

You must have some kind of magic phone then! :eek:

Upvote 0
I've been pretty impressed with the battery life (other than the display problem).

First charge lasted 1 day 21 hours, including about 6 hours of streaming pandora, 1 hour of youtube over wifi, downloading about 80 apps, playing with it for hours and hours. email sync (2 personal 1 work account), having wifi, bluetooth, and gps on during the entire time. It almost reached 2 full days.

Second charge, a little over 15 hours so far and it just dropped down to 80%. (who knows if I reboot it, it'll probably go back up to 100%). again, wifi, bluetooth, gps on during the entire time. email sync, playing a bit, reading news, and a little bit of pandora streaming.

very impressed.

now if they can only fix the calendar issue and direct contact dial issue with non-stock launcher. :) oh and provide root :)

You are a LIAR. You either did all that with the phone plugged in.or.you live with tatu on fantasy island. Why can't people just be honest. I get 6-7 hours with very heavy usage. Non stop web.browsing. this isnt a challenge people its an inquiry just help.people and quit telling stories

Upvote 0
When i first got my droid x, my second charge lasted me 1 day and 7 hours with medium usage and people playing with it here and there. Now its kind of dwindling fast. I unplugged it about 3 hours ago and streamed youtube and browsed for about 45 minutes and made a 4 minute phone call and my battery is at exactly 50%. I'm seriously considering taking it in to the verizon store. Also, get rid of advanced task killer, its crap. I tried it out and it drained the hell out of my battery within a few hours without hardly even using it.

Upvote 0
Check the settings for every app that you have. You probably have something set to refresh/update every hour. Change it to manual refresh. The only apps that really need hourly or every 2 hour updates are emails, weather, and other messaging apps. Something like Facebook, Advanced Task Killer, and every other app only needs a manual refresh. Also set the settings to network and not GPS. Setting battery manager to "Smart Mode" and adjusting the screen brightness helps greatly too.

My battery was probably better in the beginning too. But now that I have 100 apps going crazy, now my battery only lasts maybe 15 to 17 hours of what is normal use to me.. instead of more than 24 hours I had before.

Upvote 0
My Droix X 2 weeks ago crashed. Woke one morning, phone had been plugged in all night (as is my routine), looked at the phone, said "charging 20%". Went to pick-up the phone, the phone was probably 110 degrees. Panic... thought the AC charger went dysfuctional. Removed the battery, let the phone cool off, then used my USB charger connected to my laptop. The charging kept failing until the phone died (and the phone kept getting way too hot).

Called Verizon, shipped out a "reconditioned" phone overnight. Tried using the original battery since the did not send a new battery with the replacement phone, the phone would not charge over 20%. Went to my local Verizon store, the swapped out the original battery with a new battery.

The phone would now charge to 100%, but would not hold a charge. I would need to plug the phone in sometimes 2 to 3 times a day. Always on the charger all night long.

Awoke this morning, phone is DOA, will not accept a charge (plugged in all night long) and will not boot-up. Occasionally attempts to boot, small text programming message stated low battery, can not initiate software.

Anyone else have a similar experience ? The first time I though this was a fluke. Love the X, battery life the first month I owned the phone was 2 + days. But now this same issue has duplicated itself twice in less than 2 weeks, and this phone is my primary business phone (all calls are routed from my office to this phone when I am not in my office), I will surely be missing $1000 of dollars in business while this phone is down.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping someone will see this and reply. I bought my Droid X on February 8th. By the 19th, I was having terrible problems -- the battery was draining within 3 hours of a full charge, the phone was freezing up, etc. On February 22nd -- three weeks after I got the phone -- I went to the Verizon store and was told they could not replace the phone; they had to have a new one sent to me. They overnighted it. The next day I got a "like new" preowned, reconditioned phone. I fought and fought and finally they sent me a new, in the box, never opened phone and battery. I have my Verizon and G-mail accounts on the phone, as well as my work e-mail. The new phone battery is still draining -- down to about 30% within 3 hours of a full charge. I don't have wifi or anything on during the day because I don't have good coverage at work and the phone just searches for service. And, the battery heats up so much that the phone gets really hot. And, if I'm going to turn the phone back and get something else, I need to do so by tomorrow. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I think the battery indicator is just fine. When my phone says it's at 20% and then 10%, and then 5%, the phone turns off and it takes forever to get it to start again after charging it! I'm beginning to think the smart phone is not so smart! What do you do if you are somewhere for an entire day and don't have access to a plug to charge the phone?

Upvote 0
Has anybody experienced a dramatic drop in battery life after removing the battery from a Droid X? My wife asked me about adding an SD Card to her phone. I found the user guide and found I had to remove the battery to get to get to the SD card connector. Neither of us knew she already had one installed until I removed the battery. I also removed the card to check its size, then, re-inserted the card and battery. Since, I did that her battery lasts about 2.5 hrs on a charge rather than the 7-8 hrs. she had been getting the previous 15 months of using the phone. She took it to our local Verizon store, but they were as baffled as we are. Any thoughts on what might of happened would be welcome?

Upvote 0
go to settings > battery manager and then click battery mode. this should allow you to choose maximum battery saver settings.

then go to your home screen, create a power control widget, and shut everything off / dim the screen.

it sounds stupid but if you continuously sync data and keep the screen on the battery will get used up in about 4 - 6 hours however if you keep the screen dimmed / off when you're not using it, and you turn syncing off while you're not checking it then you'll easily multiply your battery life.

use wifi when its available. when its not available it uses more battery life just checking for networks but when it is available it'll also add a lot of battery life just shutting the 3g off.

phone/battery recalibration:
Turn the DROID X on and charge it for 8 hours.
Unplug it and turn it off.
Plug it back in and charge for 1 hour.
Unplug it and turn it on.
Wait 2 minutes and turn it off.
Plug it back in and charge for 1 hour.

what i personally did was let my phone shut itself off (let it die) then i let it charge while the phone was off to a full charge. repeat this again and the phone should be calibrated.

Tips:
-DO NOT use task managers and/or task killers unless an application is unresponsive.
-Turn WI-FI off when you are not connected to a network.
-Some games will drain your battery due to poorly coding or high resource usage.
-Charging your phone with USB will take longer to charge than with the wall charger.

another idea which i suggest for a more advanced user is to download droid x bootstrap, and then once you're booted recovery then you delete the battery usage data and recalibrate it.

Upvote 0
id like to include this:
Battery Failure, Real or Perceived – Battery University
Cell phone manufacturers say that 90 percent of batteries returned under warranty have no problem, and tests conducted in the Cadex laboratories confirm this finding. Many storefronts replace the batteries on the faintest complaint, and this frivolous battery return policy costs the manufacturers millions of dollars per year. Unrealistic expectations, perceived performance loss and lack of practical testing equipment contribute to this wasteful battery exchange behavior.

that said, try updating your software (settings > about phone > system updates) or maybe replacing the phone instead of the battery. come on we all know its still under warranty :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones