• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid X+Froyo+Root=Problems?

POC3442

Jul 13, 2010
I'm new to android from Storm 1 so obviously I'm new to the concept of rooting as well. When Moto does an update of Froyo on Droid X if we update through that will have to reroot our phone? Just wondering how this normally works for those who have dealt with this on another android phone.

I'm new to android from Storm 1 so obviously I'm new to the concept of rooting as well. When Moto does an update of Froyo on Droid X if we update through that will have to reroot our phone? Just wondering how this normally works for those who have dealt with this on another android phone.

Yes if you want to keep root you probably shouldn't update till the devs have acheived root for 2.2 because you will lose it if you update

Upvote 0
Sorry for the derail, I have another nooby question.

Yes if you want to keep root you probably shouldn't update till the devs have acheived root for 2.2 because you will lose it if you update

How does "losing root" work?

Say you have a rooted 2.1 Droid X and you update to 2.2. Worst case, you just lose root or could you brick your phone?

EDIT- I know there's always that chance, but is it generally safe?

Upvote 0
Sorry for the derail, I have another nooby question.

How does "losing root" work?

Say you have a rooted 2.1 Droid X and you update to 2.2. Worst case, you just lose root or could you brick your phone?

EDIT- I know there's always that chance, but is it generally safe?

How to UN-Root the Droid X Post two of this thread may be cause for concern for a possible brick. But other than that you should be fine. And you are most likley going to lose root.

Upvote 0
How to UN-Root the Droid X Post two of this thread may be cause for concern for a possible brick. But other than that you should be fine. And you are most likley going to lose root.

yeah but if you read after it they were still able to update with no problem just some of the apps they uninstalled did not work which i can live with i will just delete them anyway

Upvote 0
yeah but if you read after it they were still able to update with no problem just some of the apps they uninstalled did not work which i can live with i will just delete them anyway

Yeah I just read the op and that post. Thanks for the info:D Just spreading the word because i know some people may not be as prepared as you if they encounter problems.:) Which post was it?

Upvote 0
But is loosing Root with Froyo the end of the world? I mean it is likely that all the installed apps would stay during the update - regardless if they are "official apps" or not. I guess the "root only" apps would stop functioning (like the root only screen capture program, etc). But if you have wireless tethering or something like that, I think it should survive the update process.

I don't think it will take long to get root back with Froyo. Odds are there will be even more ways to root since it is such a young OS version. There are bound to be some bugs that allow root - more while the OS is new. As time goes on, more of these bugs will be patched. But the early versions will probably be easier. Just my 2 cents.....

Upvote 0
So. When an OTA is pushed out a message pops up on the phone and if you don't hit ignore or update later it automatically updates after a few minutes if i remember correctly. How can we stop this from happening so we don't wake up one morning with froyo and no root.

I also would like to not have to hit ignore everyday until froyo is rooted if that is possible.

Upvote 0
So. When an OTA is pushed out a message pops up on the phone and if you don't hit ignore or update later it automatically updates after a few minutes if i remember correctly. How can we stop this from happening so we don't wake up one morning with froyo and no root.

I also would like to not have to hit ignore everyday until froyo is rooted if that is possible.

Worse than that...

what happens if we wake up one morning and while the phone was attempting a froyo install and when it hits the bloatware we uninstalled and tries to update and gets stuck?

Upvote 0

change otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones