• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X without the Verizon service

Hello,

My wife had the Verizon Droid X but switched to another phone. Now, I wanted to reclaim the device and use it without the phone service. I was trying to remove all her personsal data but I ended up wiping everything and all I see now is the startup screen "Welcome to DROIDX...Touch the android to begin". As I said, I do not want to activate this phone, but I don't see any way to bypass it and use android.

Thanks for any help.

FS

Hello,

My wife had the Verizon Droid X but switched to another phone. Now, I wanted to reclaim the device and use it without the phone service. I was trying to remove all her personsal data but I ended up wiping everything and all I see now is the startup screen "Welcome to DROIDX...Touch the android to begin". As I said, I do not want to activate this phone, but I don't see any way to bypass it and use android.

Thanks for any help.

FS

You should be able to click the android and activate it with your gmail account only. this will allow you to download your apps that you have purchased as well as any others you get subsequently. If it asks to call to activate the phone, I think you can hit the call 911 only or emergency only button (not sure what it says:thinking:) and it will let you in. It should at some point ask how to connect to your wifi device, and once you get this set up, it is a wifi only android device.

If you don't want to connect it to the web at all, then click the four corners of the screen in the black around the little droid (this used to be the way) and you will bypass all of the activation screens.

Upvote 0
You should be able to click the android and activate it with your gmail account only. this will allow you to download your apps that you have purchased as well as any others you get subsequently. If it asks to call to activate the phone, I think you can hit the call 911 only or emergency only button (not sure what it says:thinking:) and it will let you in. It should at some point ask how to connect to your wifi device, and once you get this set up, it is a wifi only android device.

If you don't want to connect it to the web at all, then click the four corners of the screen in the black around the little droid (this used to be the way) and you will bypass all of the activation screens.

Thanks, Chris.
When I click the android it shows only the option to activate with a 10 digit number. I tried using 911 but it kept asking for 10 digits. When I tried the emergency dial, and then entered 911, it went ahead and called 911.

I did not see an option to enter my gmail address.

Upvote 0

Try the other method I suggested, you will then be able to manually activate our wifi and set up google sync under Settings | Accounts and Sync.

Upvote 0
freescalpel, I linked to this thread from your thread in the DX forum and asked the guides to merge the two. I didn't realize when I stumbled onto your question that it was in the intros section.

I missed the opportunity to say Welcome to Android Forums:D

Guides, please merge this with freescalpel's thread in the DX forum so folks familiar with his phone can add to this discussion. Thanks:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones