• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

E-Z Installer! Root, Install Custom Recovery! So Easy!! It should be illegal!

Alvis

Lurker
Mar 1, 2011
Ohio
Hey there Android Forums community, my name is Alvis and I come from the Android Central community. Today I am here to share with you my utility that I've worked on for some time now. Hope its a big help :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I've been messing with ADB more and more, and i decided to whip this little thing up. It's as simple as "pressing any key" a few times.

Everything is working 100% fully debugged by me. Personally I returned to stock probably 15 81 times debugging all these things, all are fullproof and fixed.
Rooting ZVH baseband now works :)

NOW WITH A COMPLETELY NEW USER INTERFACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN!
ezinstaller.png

ezinstaller1.png

ezinstaller2.png

ezinstaller3.png

UPDATES AND UPDATES TO COME:
Update all files
Root ZVH
Do some major debugging and view my program from every perspective
Make it multi-platform
Completely re-design the GUI (yes again)
Make it so you dont have to keep pressing buttons, just watch for 1 prompt
Clean up a lot of the code
Kernel installer
Build Prop tweaker
LCD Density changer
Model changer
And lots more
---------------------------------------

Now obviously all these changes aren't all going to come at once, they'll be gradual. I'll start with the main and most requested ones first, such as root ZVH and fix some of the code. Its been a while, but I'm back with a vengeance.

Here's the How-To:
1. Enable USB-Debugging via Settings>Applications>Dev
2. Run ezinstaller.exe! THAT SIMPLE
3. WATCH FOR SUPERUSER PROMPTS its literally what makes it works, well, except for when you root.
4. If you are stock, brand new, run the root tool first!
5.Read the notes at the bottom of this post!
6. Enjoy :) more features to come.

DOWNLOAD, CLICK HERE!!!
USB DRIVERS HERE

Check out my GITHUB for the source code :D

https://github.com/Alvis1337/E-Z-Installer

This program include these items, not made by me:

All credit for the custom recovery goes to zefie!
[Custom Recovery] Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

All credit for gingersnap rooting utility goes to drewwalton19216801!
Gingersnap Root Utility (one-click ROOT!!!) Multi-Platform - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

All credit for zergRush rooting utility goes to Team Revolutionary
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Revolution/230313457010090

Thanks to:
piousminion for the script help.
dbord_n for being a guinea pig.
scrosler rewriting the batch script to fix the su error, seriously without him this wouldn't have worked.
Gaigetech for hosting files

Notes:
Anything that could possibly go wrong is not my fault or scrosler's you are taking your own risk by doing this anything that happens before and after rooting is not my fault.

If you receive this error:
failed on '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory
It is completely ok to ignore it, it just means that that file does not exist, which what it does is restore stock recovery.

Is there a method, or a market app that I can download to tell me what ROM is actually being run? You all probably are familiar with the way numerous apps require root access for full functionality and will warn you if you don't have it, and what I want to know is whether there's something similar that tells you what ROM you are running.

(Long version follows.)

I got hold of the Xionia clockwork recovery image over at Android Central, and have flashed it--I think--using your tool. Everything seemed to run as it should, and my available internal storage has gone up by about 20 megs. ROM free/occupied is virtually the same as before--31/166 megs. One reason I wanted to do all this was because I'm given to understand that custom ROMs can improve my media streaming experience. So far, it seems to have helped; I was out for about 90 minutes today and streaming my local NPR outlet through TuneIn Radio the whole time. This particular station, more than others, seems prone to getting dropped, typically with the message that the "Stream Is Over". This time, for a change, I only experienced one brief drop incident lasting a few seconds.

The problem, however, is that I'd also done some other tweaks before I attempted to flash the ROM, so I'm not 100% sure that I'm running the custom ROM or not; if so I'd have expected to see a different, and much smaller figure for occupied ROM space. On the other hand, when I boot to recovery, I do get the Xionia menu headers. As for Settings=>About Phone, all that information still looks stock, but maybe it's supposed to be like that regardless of the ROM. I just don't know enough.

Another puzzling thing is that I've been advised to "from recovery, choose .zip file and install", but I still only have update.zip in my external card's root folder. The Xionia recovery exists as both an .img and a .rar file; the latter is not being noticed by the recovery menu, so I don't see any way to select it. Is there something I need to do to "force" update.zip to boot the custom ROM? I really don't want to just try it without any further info and end up with another factory reset. I'm reasonably familiar with Unix scripting, and tried to walk through what update.zip does, or at least how it's used, but couldn't get anywhere with that, at least in the sense of "if I put this .img file here", the process will grab it and use it instead of the stock ROM.

Upvote 0
Go to about phone. You will have a different kernel version and Mod # if you have a custom ROM.
The flash_image.bin and recovery.img should read just that, there the only things that get unziped. Everything else stays zipped, ROM, gapps,kernels,patches,updates,themes,etc.

Having just checked, the kernel is 2.6.32.9 lge@android-build#2 and the mod number is still LS670; this tells me that I"m still running the stock ROM then, right?

Upvote 0
Check the Mod version , Android version, and Build ID
Model number doesn't change.

I'm pretty sure the model number has never changed; it's always been LS670.

I think the Android Version was 2.2.2 when I got the device, and it is again now, but I did have 2.3 (Gingerbread) temporarily.

Baseband is LS680mvd_60401001.

Build number is ZVD.41B2924E.

SW Version is LS670ZVD.

Unless otherwise indicated, I'm really not sure if these were the original values when I got the device.

Upvote 0
Is there a method, or a market app that I can download to tell me what ROM is actually being run? You all probably are familiar with the way numerous apps require root access for full functionality and will warn you if you don't have it, and what I want to know is whether there's something similar that tells you what ROM you are running.

(Long version follows.)

I got hold of the Xionia clockwork recovery image over at Android Central, and have flashed it--I think--using your tool. Everything seemed to run as it should, and my available internal storage has gone up by about 20 megs. ROM free/occupied is virtually the same as before--31/166 megs. One reason I wanted to do all this was because I'm given to understand that custom ROMs can improve my media streaming experience. So far, it seems to have helped; I was out for about 90 minutes today and streaming my local NPR outlet through TuneIn Radio the whole time. This particular station, more than others, seems prone to getting dropped, typically with the message that the "Stream Is Over". This time, for a change, I only experienced one brief drop incident lasting a few seconds.

The problem, however, is that I'd also done some other tweaks before I attempted to flash the ROM, so I'm not 100% sure that I'm running the custom ROM or not; if so I'd have expected to see a different, and much smaller figure for occupied ROM space. On the other hand, when I boot to recovery, I do get the Xionia menu headers. As for Settings=>About Phone, all that information still looks stock, but maybe it's supposed to be like that regardless of the ROM. I just don't know enough.

Another puzzling thing is that I've been advised to "from recovery, choose .zip file and install", but I still only have update.zip in my external card's root folder. The Xionia recovery exists as both an .img and a .rar file; the latter is not being noticed by the recovery menu, so I don't see any way to select it. Is there something I need to do to "force" update.zip to boot the custom ROM? I really don't want to just try it without any further info and end up with another factory reset. I'm reasonably familiar with Unix scripting, and tried to walk through what update.zip does, or at least how it's used, but couldn't get anywhere with that, at least in the sense of "if I put this .img file here", the process will grab it and use it instead of the stock ROM.

As far as finding out what ROM you are using. Go to "Settings: About Phone" and look for the build number. If your running custom, it should say what your running. For gROM is says gROM 2.2.

As far as flashing the rom, it does not have to be named "update.zip" and you have to copy the file to your sd card before you can flash it.

Copy the file named "grom_2.2.zip to the root of your sd card.
Reboot into recovery and wipe data/factory reset: clear all cache, wipe dalvik, etc.
Choose "Install zip from sd card"
On next screen turn off signature verification first.
Then choose the zip file (grom_2.2.zip) to install and it should work fine.

I did not have to rename the file to "update.zip" and it worked fine first try.
Oh, and I'm running gROM. Just replace grom_2.2.zip with whatever ROM you're trying to flash.

Good Luck

Upvote 0
Copy the file named "grom_2.2.zip to the root of your sd card.
Reboot into recovery and wipe data/factory reset: clear all cache, wipe dalvik, etc.
Choose "Install zip from sd card"
On next screen turn off signature verification first.
Then choose the zip file (grom_2.2.zip) to install and it should work fine.

Good Luck

For the benefit of any one reading this--that might not work so great! I still have Froyo, though I will probably upgrade to Gingerbread one of these days.

Upvote 0
For the benefit of any one reading this--that might not work so great! I still have Froyo, though I will probably upgrade to Gingerbread one of these days.

Sorry, maybe should have been a little more clear about ROM's.
Yes gROM, OptiROM, and YourMomRom are all for Gingerbread (ZVH)
You have to make sure the ROM you want to flash is built for the Android release you are running. There are many ROM's available for different releases (Froyo, Gingerbread, etc.)
Sorry if I mislead you with the gROM example. I was only trying to show you the steps to flash your ROM.
The process should be the same with any ROM you just have to place the correct file on the root of your SD card for the Android version you are running. If I'm not mistaken, Xionia custom recovery should work with Froyo but you will have to choose a ROM that is built for Froyo or update your base release to Gingerbread for the ROM's mentioned above.

See here a complete guide to ROM's for the Optimus S.
http://androidforums.com/optimus-s-...us-s-rooting-roms-themes-unbrick-methods.html

See here for a some great info and howto's for upgrading to Gingerbread from Froyo, Rooting, Downgrading back to Froyo, Rooting, etc.
LG Optimus S Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Hope all this helps.

Upvote 0
FTR I have flashed CM7, following the developer's instructions here. It's fairly failsafe if you follow the instructions with due care. I do have some issues with the results, but I believe those issues are largely the result of the fact that it changes your phone to Gingerbread (Android 2.3.7 in my case). Also, I used the build of 1/16/2012 and there's now a later one. Some of the problems may be fixed now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones