• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Easiest/Best way to upgrade from leaked 2.3.15?

Phone Gnome

Oct 1, 2010
A while ago a few generous members of this forum helped me go from stock 2.1>2.3.9> 2.3.15 deodexed rooted.
Since everything worked well and I didn't like the new permissions updated apps were asking for (like Pandora), upgrading seemed unnecessary.

However as of today my phone has received an upgrade message that can only be delayed by the hour.
So my question is: what is easiest/best way to upgrade from leaked 2.3.15? Keeping in mind that I'd rather not lose features or have the new boot-loader if possible. I have clockwork and rom-manager (the earliest back-up is 2.3.15 with bloat)

Thanks for the help.

That a good point and the right answer on a logical level. But the thought of giving into Motorola's BS by making it that much harder to crack irks me.

Is there a stable way to go from leaked 2.3.15 leaked 2.3.3.40 that retains all the benefits of the upgrade while side stepping the need for a full SBF/ new boot-loader?

Upvote 0
Just did exactly this today. I SBF'd (actually back to 2.1), then took the OTA. I then used Z4root (which worked like a charm). Z4root isn't available in the market anymore, but I think the root thread has a link to it (think that's where I got it).

There's been a lot of talk of people having problems using Z4root after the OTA update, but I had no problems at all. I've restored everything with TiBU and all's well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones