• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

email issues - pop3 vs imap - date issues - plus more

bradical

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
Hi all.

New user and new Droid owner here. As a previous BB Curve owner, I was pretty excited to drop the clunky BB OS in favor of a more user friendly device.

I am trying to get my email set up on my Droid. I have my personal email through my webhost (Dreamhost.com) which allows us to have either IMAP or POP3 email access. I have attempted to set up each on my phone and still have similar issues.

1. Emails constantly show up dated 12/31/1969 - typically these are auto generated emails from eBay or CRON based emails from some applications I have developed. Is there an known issue with the way the OS reads auto-generated time stamps?

2. Multiple notifications received on same emails. Once again tied back to my additional POP3/IMAP account, but I receive the notification icon of new emails after I have read them - and even sometimes deleted them from my Droid.

3. Not so much an email issue, but a general question. Is there a way to "unlock" the phone other than sliding the screen up or pressing the top botton?

TIA

Try k9mail from the market. The Stock droid/motorola email client sucks, especially if you had a BB before (there is a reason the corporate world uses BB almost exclusively). Stock droid email client = Notifications are erratic, repeat notifications on emails with attachments, and preview on emails with un-downloaded attachments hangs for long periods of time.

PS get the market version of k9mail because the google code version right now has notification bugs of it's own.

Reactions: bradical
Upvote 0
Try k9mail from the market. The Stock droid/motorola email client sucks, especially if you had a BB before (there is a reason the corporate world uses BB almost exclusively). Stock droid email client = Notifications are erratic, repeat notifications on emails with attachments, and preview on emails with un-downloaded attachments hangs for long periods of time.

PS get the market version of k9mail because the google code version right now has notification bugs of it's own.

Thanks. I am trying it out.

Is there a way to switch the icon on the application?

Reactions: msieg080
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones