email issues - pop3 vs imap - date issues - plus more

Last Updated:

1. bradical

bradical New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all.

New user and new Droid owner here. As a previous BB Curve owner, I was pretty excited to drop the clunky BB OS in favor of a more user friendly device.

I am trying to get my email set up on my Droid. I have my personal email through my webhost (Dreamhost.com) which allows us to have either IMAP or POP3 email access. I have attempted to set up each on my phone and still have similar issues.

1. Emails constantly show up dated 12/31/1969 - typically these are auto generated emails from eBay or CRON based emails from some applications I have developed. Is there an known issue with the way the OS reads auto-generated time stamps?

2. Multiple notifications received on same emails. Once again tied back to my additional POP3/IMAP account, but I receive the notification icon of new emails after I have read them - and even sometimes deleted them from my Droid.

3. Not so much an email issue, but a general question. Is there a way to "unlock" the phone other than sliding the screen up or pressing the top botton?

TIA

Advertisement
  2. eclsnowman

eclsnowman Active Member

Try k9mail from the market. The Stock droid/motorola email client sucks, especially if you had a BB before (there is a reason the corporate world uses BB almost exclusively). Stock droid email client = Notifications are erratic, repeat notifications on emails with attachments, and preview on emails with un-downloaded attachments hangs for long periods of time.

PS get the market version of k9mail because the google code version right now has notification bugs of it's own.

bradical likes this.
  3. famac!

famac! Well-Known Member

POP3 sucks on our phones. Check the sig and star the issue.

4. eclsnowman

eclsnowman Active Member

Thank god someone else knows this is a major issue. I have 6 godd@mn email accounts, not everyone is a gmail.

I cannot believe that google/motorola can even ship that email client with phones. It would be like Ford shipping a car with a 5gallon pail as the drivers seat.

5. bradical

bradical New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks. I am trying it out.

Is there a way to switch the icon on the application?

msieg080 likes this.