• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen won't "wake up" anymore after receiving text or email

Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ ... issue is occurring on my wife's phone as well as mine ever since the January update.

I can't get the screen to wakeup automatically when receiving a text or email. It used to auto wake the screen when I received both of these types of notifications. Now it stays on the AOD screen and it just shows the app icon on the AOD telling me I have a notification. This is extremely annoying.

2nd problem I use google messages for texting and gmail for my email and before whenever I got a text the phone would wake and go to the lock screen and show a preview of the text. Now it just stays on the Always On Display (A.O.D.) screen and only shows the little text icon on the A.O.D. It doesnt automatically wake the phone and go to the lock screen like it did before.

Also, edge lighting no longer works on the A.O.D. for pretty much every app. It worked before this update and now it wont show up when the phone is off/on the A.O.D. screen. It definitely worked before the update.............I've tried using different text apps and different email apps but nothing has worked.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the apps. No fix. I even did a full factory default reset and that did nothing either.......

if you did a factory reset and simply used an old backup to restore from, you just put the problem back on the device. in order to successfully rule out the phone is not at fault, you will have to manually reinstall your apps. no other way to find out.

are you on 2.1 or 2.0? whats your carrier? what was the "january update"?

im still on 2.0 tmobile uinlocked and im not having any issues. if you are on 2.1 there may be somem settings you may need to tweak...

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm almost positive the late December/early January update was to upgrade Android to version 10. I did a fresh reset and didn't load a backup.' I'm on Verizon and One UI is 2.1 android version is 10.

if you did a factory reset and simply used an old backup to restore from, you just put the problem back on the device. in order to successfully rule out the phone is not at fault, you will have to manually reinstall your apps. no other way to find out.

im still on 2.0 tmobile uinlocked and im not having any issues. if you are on 2.1 there may be somem settings you may need to tweak...

Last edited:
Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I get notifications.

But edge lighting doesn't work for notifications. And no notification wakes the screen like it did before and like it's supposed to do. So let's say my phone is on the AOD screen and I get a text message using Google messages. The phone doesn't wake up. The notification icon will appear on the AOD screen but that's it. It doesn't wake the screen and there's no edge lighting effects

I did a fresh reset and didn't load a backup.

I'm on Verizon and One UI is 2.1

Android version is 10.

ok so if you did the update and did NOT install any backup, that may be the normal behavior of the latest system update. im still on 2.0.

im not totally clear on what you issue is but i still get notifications when they come in.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
note 10 + unlocked . bought from sammy but using on tmo, but that should not matter. still on UI 2.0

email i use outlook
text i am currently using sammys OEM text app
whatsapp

i even get notifications from all my other apps like uber eats, uber/lyft.. i mean i have no issues with these pop up notifications.

your icons show up on the AOD screen still right? even if they dont light up the edge they still populate correct?

checked your permissions ? maybe its a permissions thing you need to rectify...

Upvote 0
You keep saying that you get notifications from all of your apps. So do .. I'm only talking about the edge lighting showing on the screen when my phone is on the AOD screen. The edge of the phone used to light up before the android update

note 10 + unlocked . bought from sammy but using on tmo, but that should not matter. still on UI 2.0

email i use outlook
text i am currently using sammys OEM text app
whatsapp

i even get notifications from all my other apps like uber eats, uber/lyft.. i mean i have no issues with these pop up notifications.

your icons show up on the AOD screen still right? even if they dont light up the edge they still populate correct?

checked your permissions ? maybe its a permissions thing you need to rectify...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones