• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[email signature] how to prevent phone numbers from becoming links!?

I am coming from a proffesional environment using Windows Mobile and am in culture shock as i have decided to give the Droid X a shot. I am alarmed at how inefficient the emailing system is. It has taken everything out of me to get the VERY basic functionality of pop accounts. You can only set 1 signature for all emails? You can't compose an email with a font size smaller than 12? The Droid X is an amazing device and should make any young person elated, but to a professional it is proving to be nothing more than an expensive toy. It is too late for me since i have the Droid X already, but i strongly URGE any professionals out there to AVOID Android like the plague if you rely on emails to get your work done on a daily basis. Googles handling of email is embarrassing and inexcusable. Okay my rant is done.

I have my phone setup so that i can barely make it by with day-to-day emails (GOD i miss Windows Mobile email! - nothing else) As a professional, consistency is crucial to me. There is a stark contrast to the emails sent from my computer vs emails that i send with the Droid X. When sending from my Droid X, all the phone numbers (my signature) get converted to links which look very tacky and serve no purpose in my environment. i understand, that in some cases, someone may want to use their phone, click on the number and add it to their contacts. In a professional environment this is not necessary and looks terrible. More importantly, it is inconsistant with the emails i send from my pc. Since emails are handled soooo poorly with Android i am guessing i will just have to live with it, but does anyone know how to prevent the phone numbers from becomming links? It is very irritating.

Thanks for putting up with me and my frustrations. I do love everything else about the phone, but if i can't get the email up to par with the BASICS it doesn't do me much good. :(

Thanks for any help!

I looked into Touchdown which looked promising, but i just received an email from them saying that they do not support pop accounts (they do the Exchange thing which we do not have at work). Perhaps i just have to get used to downloading an app for many of the things that were standard on a Windows Mobile. I hope i do not sound like i am defending WM. I am definately not. WM 6.5 is complete crap, but it handled outlook and syncing perfectly - at least MS got that part right.

thanks for the tip. I will check out the Market. Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. I also have 5 accounts and have set them up in K9. To my surprise it doesn't seem to have much competition. There aren't really any email apps in the Market except for a couple of other crappy ones (according to the reviews). Thankfully, K9 looks like it will do the trick just fine. I must say it is a breath of fresh air so far. Nice to have some options within each account. Thanks, again for the help. There is hope for me afterall. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. I also have 5 accounts and have set them up in K9. I must say it is a breath of fresh air so far. Nice to have some options within each account. Thanks, again for the help. There is hope for me afterall. :rolleyes:

Glad it's working for you... I also use K-9 to manage gMail and I find it much better than the built-in gMail app. I'm not a fan of a unified inbox, but if you are, K-9 has that too :)

jd

Upvote 0
Ug. I can't seem to catch a break here. K9 has some awesome features, but it seems like i took 3 steps forward and 1 step back. Since you have been using K9 i figured i would ask here:

Are there really no text options when composing an email? I don't see how to do something as simple as bold or italicize text! Ug. This would make it unusable for me if that is the case. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Ug. I can't seem to catch a break here. K9 has some awesome features, but it seems like i took 3 steps forward and 1 step back. Since you have been using K9 i figured i would ask here:

Are there really no text options when composing an email? I don't see how to do something as simple as bold or italicize text! Ug. This would make it unusable for me if that is the case. :thinking:

I'd never tried that. Looks like it doesn't support any text formatting at all. You might ask the author (jesse) at his site to see if that's planned ( k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code )

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones