Epic 4G Benchmarked

Last Updated:

1. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    gme109 likes this.
  2. Squiggoth

Squiggoth Well-Known Member

Be careful. I like the Epic as much as the next guy but what you said is false. It beat the EVO in all but one benchmark. It beat the AVERAGE in all benchmarks. However, Those charts don't show it beating all phones in all but one benchmarks, and the Epic has more competitors than just the Evo.

3. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

I don't think he was meaning his comment in a "OMG EPIC PWNED ALL" kinda way. Going on just the face value of the graphs, yes the Epic did indeed beat "everything in all but one". Now going further in depth we can see it says "class average" or whatnot so you can assume there will be other devices with much higher and much lower figures than what are shown. That is the nature of the beast when dealing with averages.

I simply think he meant, on face value of the charts shown, the Epic beat out the other two options in all but one test.

4. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint) - Benchmark Test Results

This shows the Epic 4G against the Evo 4G, Droid X, Droid 2, and Captivate. But these are the top Processors in the market.

Over all, the Epic is best in almost every category. The Droid 2 passed it a 2 times due to 2.2 I think...

5. dietcoke

dietcoke Banned

6. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

The post prior to this one is not there... Please ignore it. Do not reply, reference, quote or in any way discuss it, as doing so will encourage additional posts of a similar nature.

on topic-

It's good to see the Epic doing so well in these benchmarks, I'm hoping 2.2 will increase it's performance that much more!

Othan1, perpetual and xXSecretAgentXx like this.
  7. ranova

ranova Well-Known Member

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/compgraph.php?unit=&bar[0][l]=Samsung%20Epic%204G&bar[0][0][v]=163.50&bar[0][0][d]=163.50&bar[0][0][c]=orange&bar[1][l]=HTC%20Evo%204G&bar[1][0][v]=42.37&bar[1][0][d]=42.37&bar[2][l]=Samsung%20Vibrant&bar[2][0][v]=33.16&bar[2][0][d]=33.16&bar[3][l]=Category%20Average%20(as%20of%2008/2010)&bar[3][l]=Category%20Average%20(as%20of%2008/2010)&bar[3][0][v]=71.96&bar[3][0][d]=71.96&bar[3][0][c]=gray

It beats the captivate on the main thing -> filesystem speed.

8. Eazail70x7

^^^ Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint) - Benchmark Test Results

He's right, on the filesystem speed, it is way higher than the Captivate (and even higher than the Droids). Probably due to using Nand rather than the internal SD that the Captivate uses. I wonder what the Quadrant Benchmark for the Epic 4G is??

9. xXSecretAgentXx

xXSecretAgentXx Well-Known Member

I read on sdx that its somewhere around 890-910

10. cbanks

cbanks Active Member

I'm thinking about dumping Sprint and getting a Droid X over at Verizon. I added the Droid X to the chart. While the Epic does well it's hardly a slam dunk and loses on more than 1 test.

11. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

the compares should have them all running the same os version. can't have some running 2.1 and some 2.2.

12. 5Strong

5Strong Well-Known Member

I agree. They should all be running 2.2 in order to make the comparisons valid. I have a feeling that once the Epic has 2.2 the gap will close on the areas where it is behind.

13. Eazail70x7

Yes the Droid X did score higher on a few but even so, it was only slightly. One of those (Linpack). On a side note I think that the Epic should have scored a little higher than 7.9. Usually in the 8mflops. (The Captivate shows 8.17) but thats the nature of the app I guess, it varies each time when pressed.

Here is a direct comparison between the Droid X and Epic 4G:

Epic 4G:

Test Name Test Result Chart

FPS2D [​IMG] 55.00 Comparison Chart
    An3DBench [​IMG] 6,599 Comparison Chart
    Linpack [​IMG] 7.90 Comparison Chart
    NBench Memory [​IMG] 2.96 Comparison Chart
    NBench Integer [​IMG] 4.04 Comparison Chart
    NBench Float [​IMG] 0.77 Comparison Chart
    Benchmark Graphics [​IMG] 31.60 Comparison Chart
    Benchmark CPU [​IMG] 780.80 Comparison Chart
    Benchmark Memory [​IMG] 645.80 Comparison Chart
    Benchmark FileSystem [​IMG] 163.50 Comparison Chart
    NenaMark1 [​IMG] 46 Comparison Chart

Droid X:

Test Name Test Result Chart

FPS2D [​IMG] 58.00Comparison Chart
    An3DBench [​IMG] 6,189* (Droid 2) Comparison Chart
    Linpack [​IMG] 8.19 Comparison Chart
    NBench Memory [​IMG] 2.91 Comparison Chart
    NBench Integer [​IMG] 3.99 Comparison Chart
    NBench Float [​IMG] 0.78 Comparison Chart
    Benchmark Graphics [​IMG] 31.49 Comparison Chart
    CPU [​IMG] 777.93 Comparison Chart
    Benchmark Memory [​IMG] 424.25 Comparison Chart
    Benchmark FileSystem [​IMG] 162.21 Comparison Chart
    NenaMark1 [​IMG] 23 Comparison Chart

Overall, I think these numbers speak for themselves. The Hummingbird scored higher in all but 3 categories in these tests. I'm pretty happy with the Hummingbird and always liked it even before the Epic 4G/Galaxy S Pro was official.

P.S. - Laptop Mag gave the Epic 4G 4.5 out of 5 stars. Every other smartphone (including Droid X, iPhone 4, Evo 4G, etc) Got only 4 out of 5 stars or lower. Never thought they would go over 4 stars as most smartphones in there magazines have 4 (even the Motorola Cliq LOL).

EDIT* This chart is giving me so much trouble, every time I align it the forum keeps messing it up. I can't fix it sorry. You can still pretty much see everything still, just not neat how I like it...

Adrift likes this.
  14. Eazail70x7

That failed attempt to link up there is stretching the screen lol. Anywho here is some more benchmarking goodness:

Samsung Epic 4G Benchmarked &raquo BriefMobile

"Conclusions

The Samsung Epic 4G is the fastest Galaxy S phone to hit the market. With Samsung’s latest optimizations, this phone flies. We’d venture to say it is faster than the Google Nexus One, Motorola Droid, Motorola Droid X, or any other competing Android 2.1-sporting device. With Android 2.2 Froyo coming soon this year, this phone will undoubtedly rock the mobile world.

While other Galaxy S phones have forced users to place custom launchers (namely LauncherPro) over TouchWiz, we can say without a doubt that the Epic 4G’s Touchwiz UI runs smooth as butter. So, if you like what Samsung’s done to the user experience, you’ll be able to keep the Touchwiz interface without losing any speed advantage.

This phone won’t need a custom Ext2, Ext3, or Ext4 lag fix come launch time, it is snappy and ready to go right out of the box. Overall, Samsung gets a 10/10 for getting it right with this one. Well done."