• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Epic 4g Touch one of the worst phones I have ever had. Read and I will tell you why

I bought the epic 4g touch in November, I picked it over the iPhone as I have never been a apple fan. The phone is a lemon and when I mean a lemon nothing works correctly on it. I get a extremely loud buzzing noise that comes from the camera, I have taken it to sprint 5 times for this issue and they look at me like I am stupid and say they can not get the phone to replicate the issue so they tell me they cannon do anything. The phone has also had battery issues where the battery will drain in 4 hours without use, and then the network issues I have. Every time I make a outgoing call or and incoming call I get a message that says network error please check network. I took it to sprint again for this issue and I left it there and all they did was wipe my phone without even telling me so all my apps and information was gone out of the phone. So I went to my last resort and called samsung, I recently sent in the phone and they are waiting to receive it. They guy on the phone the first time I called said that the phone would either be replaced or fixed so I said ok I am ok with that. So I called today and I talked to a lady and she tells me that the phones are never replaced and only fixed which made me really upset because I know this phone is a lemon and its been taken apart numerous times by sprint and I did not pay to have a 600 dollar phone taken apart. I will never get sprint service again or buy a samsung product again unless they resolve my issue. I hate to say it but I wish I would of went with the iPhone you dont usually hear of huge problems like this.

Sometimes the support you get also depends upon who you get. Shouldn't be that way but the support person can make all the difference in the world. Can you go to the repair facility at a different time to ensure you get a different contact?

Every time I have gone there it has been a different technician, but the same manager is there and she is the one who told me well you can still make calls right and she pretty much told me to f*** off in a nice way and I was very nice. They are the worst company I have ever dealt with.

Upvote 0
Ok guys so I called Samsung today and they have received the phone. I talked to a supervisor in repairs and turns out all the things I told the first rep I talked to that was wrong with the phone was never recorded, they put in that the phone was freezing which it was not. So the Supervisor was really nice that i just talked to so hope fully my phone will be fixed when I get it back. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hopefully they'll get it fixed for you. I've had 2. The first I bought from amazon when they had the penny phone deal but sent it back because of the loss of signal issue. I would go from full bars to no signal when I walked 10 feet from my living room to the kitchen. My son's photon had an excellent signal so I sent it back for a photon. The second one I bought from swappa to use as a media player and decided to switch back and forth from Photon to Epic touch. The second one is by far superior with no issues what so ever. Just an illustration of how you can get a lemon from time to time, and unfortunately it seems as if you have.

Upvote 0
I know how you feel man I had a lemon as well. I could let the phone sit in my pocket with nothing running or using CPU then all of a sudden I'd hear, eheheheheheheheheheh, the phone locked up and the sound was looped until I took out the battery. The phone wouldn't shut off by holding the power button either. Also the phone was burning hot and the task manager showed all the apps as 15% or more of the CPU which means: busted phone. I got a new one from sprint and got to keep the other Battery from the busted phone and the charging cable for free because its a new phone and shouldn't have those issues. I think they just didn't care to help you man, I'd sue for selling defective devices without exchanging it.

Upvote 0
Best way for me to get a device replaced by Sprint is to call in and complain to technical support. Not the service that answers the phone but the support rep. Once you complain to them, they will try to troubleshoot it over the phone. After they fail, they will put in a ticket to have it replaced. Just remind that you have had it in multiple times with no result and that the store reps don't care. Have them read the ticket info back to you and make sure they put it to replace the phone.

Worked like a charm for me.

Upvote 0
Best way for me to get a device replaced by Sprint is to call in and complain to technical support. Not the service that answers the phone but the support rep. Once you complain to them, they will try to troubleshoot it over the phone. After they fail, they will put in a ticket to have it replaced. Just remind that you have had it in multiple times with no result and that the store reps don't care. Have them read the ticket info back to you and make sure they put it to replace the phone.

Worked like a charm for me.
that's a very good plan, I did mine with the sales manager who's in charge of everyone at the store and I got a free Battery, screen covers, and two micro USB charging cables because I made friends with the guy. He was nice guy.

Upvote 0
Stories like the OPs are suspicious. Things like this raise an eyebrow for me and I am certain, others are as well:

"I have taken it to sprint 5 times for this issue and they look at me like I am stupid and say they can not get the phone to replicate the issue so they tell me they cannon do anything."

Sometimes I quietly hope the whole Mayan calendar thing is true...

Upvote 0
Stories like the OPs are suspicious. Things like this raise an eyebrow for me and I am certain, others are as well:

"I have taken it to sprint 5 times for this issue and they look at me like I am stupid and say they can not get the phone to replicate the issue so they tell me they cannon do anything."

I am not sure what you mean exactly?

Upvote 0
Hello everyone I just wanted to update everyone on what is going on with my phone. I received the phone back from Samsung about 2 days ago and so far everything is working great, wife is improved drastically, and 3g speeds seem to be a lot faster, and guess what no camera buzzing so far. I am very happy, I still hate sprint though because they did not help me solve this problem. :thinking:

Upvote 0

Huh?

Upvote 0
I understand your plight goelie,

Here are some tips-
1) Find another Sprint store to work with. You can go to any Sprint store. The staff and management makes a big difference.
2) What a good technician (not sales person) is able to repair on a phone. Primarily firware, android and other software updates. Little to no hardware repair because they do not have the parts. Also
if you took your phone apart (do not do this) besides the screen and buttons it is mostly a single circuit board that every electrical component and chip is soldered on surface mount. Very difficult to
replace anything even if you had the parts and soldering skills and equipment to do it.
3) Parts like common swithes or anything are not stocked at stores. They cost to much and take too long to get. Too many manufacturers and model phones to support. Plus whatever phone you buy has a
relatively short life (2 years max).
4) Most electronic devices like computers, laptops, cell phones are not repairable anymore on a low level component basis. These circuit boards are built by machine because they have to be. There is very
little a manufacturer handles by hand soldering work.
5) Reading this thread - you have gotten lemon phones (some hardware or soldering defect) and your phone has been or being sent to Samsung. Samsung will just gut your phone out circuit board wise
and return it to you. But this will be time consuming. You may or may not get the latest hardware revisions. Depends on what they have on hand.
5) As far as battery life goes - The more things you install or turn on that use the network, wirless 3g/4g the shorter the battery life gets. For every cell phone I have had the last 20 years
I buy a extended battery off of ebay. I have this exact phone so in this case I went from a 1800mah to 3800mah battery. It cost $10 including shipping. I always buy all cell phone accessories off of ebay.
They are cheap and the selection is large. Just be sure to buy stuff for your specific phone. ie. Sprint Galaxy S2 Epic 4g Touch model SPH-D710. It makes a difference on the battery and cover you get.

The advice you got about dropping your phone on concrete and using the phone insurance may be the most cost effective and timely manner for you to get another phone that works. Just
be sure and do it from 15-20 feet. I saw a video of someone doing this with this phone and a iphone 4s. From 6 feet the iphone screen shattered. The samsung only had a couple scratch marks on the screen.

Hope Sprint takes care of you.

Reactions: Non Sequitur
Upvote 0
Hello Everyone, I am not a happy person right now, as my epic 4g touch is doing the camera buzz again. I called Samsung and they will not send me a replacement device, they want to fix it again. I will never buy a Samsung product again and before I do I will make sure the phone I am buying doesn't have their god damn chip set in it or processor. I will get a iPhone I really dont Care anymore I just need something that works right.

Upvote 0
The service you get really depends on where you take your problem phone. I've had Sprint for over 10 years and always take phones with any problems to the Clearwater,Fl Sprint store which has a repair facility. I had a HTC Hero with a charging port that wouldn't connect 100% of the time and the manager gave me a new one. I had a HTC EVO with a bad pixel and they replaced the screen. When I got home I noticed the bezel on the new screen had a nick so I took it back, showed it to the manager and he gave me a new one. I knew they were new and not refurbs because he opened the factory sealed boxes in front of me. If I were you I would find another store that has a repair facility and let the manager know what a bad experience you had at the other store. He should want to help you so he can earn your future business.

Reactions: JackG058
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones