• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Because of the lag, you accidentally dial someone.

I have found this to be a problem. I haven't gotten the hang of the dialer program. I have decided that in *MY* case it is user error. It dials differently than other smartphones I've used. I think I just have to get used to it. I also have a problem ending a call. When I hit the end hard button it is blanking the screen and locking the phone but not disconnecting. Hitting the big end call button in the center on the screen works. I think I'm not doing something in the right sequence.

As for lag, I have been pleased so far. Google maps starts right up for me, on the Omnia it took about 5 minutes to open and get a fix on my location. So a few seconds seems like heaven to me.

Upvote 0
(yes I know, the 300 baud modem reference will be lost on many here, but the other old farts will remember them too - perhaps not fondly)

I remember saving up to get my first 1200 baud modem. I thought I was going to die right then when I connected to it. Ahhhh....I so don't want to go back to those days!

Upvote 0
Regarding Doogald's findings of recently used apps opening faster, that makes sense. We all have noticed that there are 'too many' apps running on our phones at various times. I'd guess (GUESS now mind you) that, for instance, the camera app had to load the first time it ran and that took some seconds. After that at least part of it was left running and the next time you opened it the load time was much shorter. I noticed that same thing yesterday with my phone when I tried to take a picture of my dog being cute. I whipped my phone out of my pocket and pressed the camera icon and it took FOREVER for it to load, you know, 4 or 5 seconds... (I still got the picture, for those of you who were wondering). Later that day I wanted to take another picture and the camera popped right up. Naturally I thought "sure, you're right there when I'm NOT in a hurry". So I guess I SEE the lag others see (nods to Carmen) but it just doesn't strike me as being a 'laggy phone', but rather a device of which we occasionally ask nearly too much.

In my pocket I have 60 books, 1900 songs, an address book, a camera, a web browser, a tide chart, an alarm clock, a deck of cards (solitaire), a photo album and oh-yeah, a telephone. I'm still just impressed with the technology...

Upvote 0
OTD- Hello
I'm curious....why no task killer?

For the sake of everyone on the forum, I will not go into that.....again :D Long debate and long story on that topic.

However, I will say that there is a pretty interesting article that you could read about a certain subject that might interest you. The link is in my signature....just don't tell anyone that I brought it up.;)

If you really want to talk about it though, you can PM me.

Upvote 0
I think Carmen's times are high. I have to wonder why it is taking her phone so long to open some of these apps

I also have to say that some people may just have bad phones. There may be something that is just not running right on them. Bad chips, bad ram, bad rom, etc could cause a serious problem with someone's phone. Not bad enough to make it just stop, but bad enough to slow it down a whole bunch.

"..bad ram, rom, chips, etc.. "

There ya go.. so when we do see people posting stuff like, "everybody with an Eris has these problems" we can toss that nonsense, but it is possible that some problems are not user-induced (the cause of 90% of device probs, imo) and are in fact quality control problems at the various mfgs, assembly places and even shipping (lack of temperature, humidity control, etc).

Upvote 0
Carmen, I'm going to chuckle in your general direction now...
Is 3 seconds to install a new app a 'lag' in your opinion, or were you just stating how long it took? Considering that the application has to come from somewhere (might be the UK, the US, China - who knows where it is) travel through hundreds(thousands?) of miles of wire, maybe bounce off a satellite or two, then radio-wave itself down to your phone, passing through clouds, rain, buildings and your body to be downloaded into your phone, and THEN it actually starts the install process in your phone.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm OK waiting a few seconds for all of that to happen. :)
Of course, I'm an old fart, I remember 300 baud modems and dial-up connections...
(yes I know, the 300 baud modem reference will be lost on many here, but the other old farts will remember them too - perhaps not fondly)

Yeah I have no idea what baud modems are :)
and isn't dial-up like AOL that makes the weird screeching noise when it loads up? My grandma used to have internet like that and it was annoying because if someone called, it would knock you offline sometimes haha

AND GEE...MAKE ME SOUND UNREASONABLE :)

maybe i am expecting a lot of out of this advice haha
she is a small thing with a lot of power...like me!!!!

Upvote 0

There ya go.. so when we do see people posting stuff like, "everybody with an Eris has these problems" we can toss that nonsense, but it is possible that some problems are not user-induced (the cause of 90% of device probs, imo) and are in fact quality control problems at the various mfgs, assembly places and even shipping (lack of temperature, humidity control, etc).

I'm not saying it is a fact, only that it is a possibility.

Yeah I have no idea what baud modems are :)
and isn't dial-up like AOL that makes the weird screeching noise when it loads up? My grandma used to have internet like that and it was annoying because if someone called, it would knock you offline sometimes haha

LOL tears in my eyes at that description.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying it is a fact, only that it is a possibility.

LOL tears in my eyes at that description.

lol im serious. I was born in 1992 so i remember it used to scare me with that noise.

and then my Abuela(Grandma) would yell..."ARE YOU OFF THE PHONE? I NEED TO GET ONLINE TO CHECK MY EMAIL"

"NO ABUELA..FIVE MINS"

god im glad we've evolved :)

Upvote 0
At one point in time you had to write letters to people. The lag on that was like...a half hour to write a page. And then it took like...a month to get to whoever you were writing to and another month to get back.

Remember that despite the 1-2 second lag, YOU ARE ACCESSING FEATURES OF THIS DEVICE THAT WOULD OTHERWISE BE IMPOSSIBLE! YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE INTERNET (which is a small miracle in and of itself). ON A PHONE! YOU ARE SENDING SMALL DIGITAL LETTERS TO PEOPLE AT HUGE SPEEDS! YOU CAN HEAR ANOTHER PERSONS VOICE!!!!!

The stuff it takes you 1-2 seconds to access used to not only be impossible to do, but impossible to dream about.

Upvote 0
At one point in time you had to write letters to people. The lag on that was like...a half hour to write a page. And then it took like...a month to get to whoever you were writing to and another month to get back.

Remember that despite the 1-2 second lag, YOU ARE ACCESSING FEATURES OF THIS DEVICE THAT WOULD OTHERWISE BE IMPOSSIBLE! YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE INTERNET (which is a small miracle in and of itself). ON A PHONE! YOU ARE SENDING SMALL DIGITAL LETTERS TO PEOPLE AT HUGE SPEEDS! YOU CAN HEAR ANOTHER PERSONS VOICE!!!!!

The stuff it takes you 1-2 seconds to access used to not only be impossible to do, but impossible to dream about.

Yes indeed. Testify, brother.

Now, about those "android rocks" mentioned below your user name; pics please.

Upvote 0

Devices are made on assembly line, by machines, why would some be better than others. Wouldn't it be more likely the software? I can see this argument if our phones were hand made but that is simply not the case.

Could be more perceived user experience than anything. I would think people with more experience with electronics and computers wouldn't have such a great experience.

Upvote 0
I gave up the task killer and just let me phone do it's thing. I was using pandora one day and got a call. The phone was unresponsive for 5 seconds, the screen even shifted about 25% to the right. Very weird.

I do the back button thing to exit apps that dont have an exit command built in. I'm back to my task killer. :-( Once the ram hits 25-30meg everything just slows down. Then again I notice that killing off apps seems like a bandaid more than a fix. I still need to bounce the phone every 3-4 days to bring it back to it's senses.

I have another brand new eris in the box sitting next to me. I wonder if I'd experience the same issues with that one.

Upvote 0
Devices are made on assembly line, by machines, why would some be better than others. Wouldn't it be more likely the software? I can see this argument if our phones were hand made but that is simply not the case.

Could be more perceived user experience than anything. I would think people with more experience with electronics and computers wouldn't have such a great experience.

I know what you are saying, but if it could only be a software issue then why would some people have speaker problems and others don't? Why would some have serious radio problems and others don't? While the devices themselves are made on an assembly line by machines, what about the components that went into them? What about damage in shipping or damage to components during shipping? There are a lot of things that could go wrong with an advanced electronic device like this on a physical level.

As far as perceived experience goes, I started using PDAs when the first Palm Pilot hit the market and I had a Treo when they first came out. I have used and/or dealt with iPhone, WinMo, Android, BlackBerry, WebOs, Palm and Symbian (not much though on this one I'll admit). In other words, I am very familiar with the PDA and smartphone market and I think this is probably one of the best phones I have ever dealt with. Does it have little things that need to improve? Yes, everything does. Are people's expectations way to high for most of these devices? Some are outside our solar system. It isn't a super computer and it isn't going to change the face of the planet as we know it, but it is a really great device. Some people need to keep their feet on the ground and their expectations in reality.

Upvote 0
sorry that was a quick post from my eris i exchanged my old eris with a busted speaker for the new one (non-busted speaker) and have had horrible lag issues that i never had with the other eris i run ATK and kill apps religiously (PC user, lol) its just annoying.. still love the phone.. wouldn't get rid of it unless someone offered a N1 (they'd be crazy if they did) all i was trying to say was the lag on this eris is ALOT worse than my old one...

p.s i clear caches every couple of hours and have maybe 3 or 4 dowloaded apps.... (music junk, handcent, steel, and opera mini..)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones