• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris went through washer

If your doing the phone switch between 2 phones
make sure the one you no longer want to use is powered off
and the new one you want to use is powered on

dial *228

option 3

it will ask you to enter your ten digit telephone number
then your password
and that's it and let it do it's thing
it takes 2 mins all and all

Seriously? You can do that now without having to call in the MEID and everything?

Upvote 0
My GF washed her Eris for about 5 mins this weekend.... it's currently in rice. We switched to an old phone using the account area on the website. Took about 5 minutes and a *228 and she was up and running on my old VX6900...

That is very cool to know, that we can get another phone going if the main one becomes disabled or lost or whatever.

I'm glad that subject came up in this thread.

Upvote 0
Seriously? You can do that now without having to call in the MEID and everything?

hey sorry
i haven't been on the forums much today

i had class and now im getting ready for the Duke game
and the sorority and frats are making us dress up as cheerleaders and rep duke(which is ironic seeing how we don't go to Duke)
so im running around but wanted to do at least ONE DAILY CHECK IN...

anyways sorry off topic...as always

no i dont even know what a MEID is, But no you dnt need it

Upvote 0
We had one go in the swimming pool this morning, thankfully it wasnt mine.

So we got the replacement very quickly. We were expecting wednesday and it came early this morning.

I have already rooted it for her and installed Sensable 2.0 rom.

So she drowns her eris and gets a rooted replacement, and I am stuck on 2.1 v2 leak. What kind of shite is that? :(

Upvote 0
After 30 hours in rice the Eris wouldn't power up (the orange light did come on briefly). Figured trying a new battery was the next step. Verizon didn't stock any at the store but the cust rep grabbed a blackberry battery that fit right in and it powered up. Won't know until tomorrow when the new battery comes in the mail what is and isn't working yet. She wouldn't sell me a blackberry battery because it wasn't specifically for the Eris which was lame.

Upvote 0
That is very cool to know, that we can get another phone going if the main one becomes disabled or lost or whatever.

I'm glad that subject came up in this thread.

I love that feature. I bricked my crackberry after an update. I was home recovering from gallbladder surgery and had no other phone in the house except my cell. I dug out my old LG and reactivated until the crackberry came alive again.

Upvote 0
I just want to add to the mix here on what to do when you get your electronics all wet. As a former electronics technician (used to work on laser target designator systems for the Air Force) I can share some trade secrets I learned along the way.

First and foremost, remove the battery. Next, you want to soak the device in grain alcohol, (rubbing alcohol will do OK in a pinch but the purer the better so try the local liquor store and buy some Everclear); the alcohol will help to displace the water and will dry without leaving a residue.
Remove the device from the alcohol. Set aside in a dry location. Covering the phone in rice is OK, but we can do better. Super absorbent crystals are sold at lawn and garden centers under many different trade names including HydroSource or SoilMoist. Just ask for help in finding water-absorbing polymer crystals. Put the phone in a sealed bag with a bunch of those crystals, they will pull the moisture out and lock it in.

Upvote 0
First and foremost, remove the battery. Next, you want to soak the device in grain alcohol, (rubbing alcohol will do OK in a pinch but the purer the better so try the local liquor store and buy some Everclear); the alcohol will help to displace the water and will dry without leaving a residue.
Remove the device from the alcohol. Set aside in a dry location. Covering the phone in rice is OK, but we can do better. Super absorbent crystals are sold at lawn and garden centers under many different trade names including HydroSource or SoilMoist. Just ask for help in finding water-absorbing polymer crystals. Put the phone in a sealed bag with a bunch of those crystals, they will pull the moisture out and lock it in.

Excellent high tech yet simple to do advice. It would do well to have a supply of HydroSource around just in case.

Upvote 0
Thanks carmen that is so easy!

I assume the password is not my voicemail password right?

Do I have to call verizon and create an account password? Thanks again

If your doing the phone switch between 2 phones
make sure the one you no longer want to use is powered off
and the new one you want to use is powered on

dial *228

option 3

it will ask you to enter your ten digit telephone number
then your password
and that's it and let it do it's thing
it takes 2 mins all and all

Upvote 0
Thanks carmen that is so easy!

I assume the password is not my voicemail password right?

Do I have to call verizon and create an account password? Thanks again

your welcome hon :)
i am not as tech savvy as some of the ppl here and idk the eris as well(fashion, hair, make-up and the hottest clubs and parties are my expertise) as some ppl
but i try to help when i can :)

and yeah like mentioned above....its basically the four digits of the SSN of the account holder or a specific code like 1234 or whatever you or the account holder set up

its what they ask for when you call to speak to verizon

Upvote 0
My screen is forever damaged but wont matter because i have insurance just hang on to this one until the 2.1 update comes out and it decides not to upgrade the leak or until i fill like getting a new one to trade back to verizon for the pixie... my palm pre will be arriving tomorrow :)

awww well im glad you are going to the pre side :)

you should definitely download webos quick install and do a patch to upgrade your phone to the 800 mhz to make it go so much faster :)

Upvote 0
My screen is forever damaged but wont matter because i have insurance just hang on to this one until the 2.1 update comes out and it decides not to upgrade the leak or until i fill like getting a new one to trade back to verizon for the pixie... my palm pre will be arriving tomorrow :)

That's what happened to me. I fully submerged my Eris and submerged it in rice for days and the touch panel no longer worked. If I launched the bootloader, it would tell me "touchpanel: fail" at the top when it ran the POST.

I didn't have insurance and the rep at the VZW store never noticed the water damage indicator. He had them send me a new phone.

Upvote 0
After 30 hours in rice the Eris wouldn't power up (the orange light did come on briefly). Figured trying a new battery was the next step. Verizon didn't stock any at the store but the cust rep grabbed a blackberry battery that fit right in and it powered up. Won't know until tomorrow when the new battery comes in the mail what is and isn't working yet. She wouldn't sell me a blackberry battery because it wasn't specifically for the Eris which was lame.

Got the new battery and the Eris powered right up. Everything is working but you can see some grey water damage behind the screen when viewing white webpages. That might go away in time but I am not sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones