• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Error in recovery console while trying to root

sar10538

Lurker
Apr 6, 2011
Hello, first post here so please be kind. I have tried to search for an answer to this but with my lack of knowledge in this area, perhaps I'm not phrasing the search to get the hits. I bought a used 551 that had been upgraded to 2.3.6 by the previous owner. It seems to boot fine and works well but I wanted to root it so I tried the Root.zip (7z) and the universal_gb_root_v21.zip but they both came up with the following errors:-

Android system recovery

reboot system now
apply update from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
test redband fota[FS]

-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package..
Opening update package..
E:Can't open /tmp/sidelo
d/package.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted.

I've tried using odin to reflash the the correct One Package file, this passed ok but I still have the same problem. It looks like there is two problems here as the CSC one is reported on entry to the recovery console. Quite frankly I don't need the Vodafone customisations but if that is what is causing the second problem, guess I may be stuck with fixing it. I'm a little puzzled by the path to this package.zip file as it seems to say /tmp/sidelod/package.zip, shouldn't that be /tmp/sideload/package.zip???

Thanks, Steve

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones