• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Error message "failed to make temp file directory"

Eroot

Lurker
Aug 27, 2022
Hi and thanks in advance for any replys. I have a new Reev pro with vir 12. Android. Im having a problem with an app called workday. When attempting to view/download a .pdf I get this error message "failed to make temp file directory" I have tried all the standard workarounds I usually do with this kind of issue, data and cash clear, reinstall, permissions even installed Adobe pdf viewer. I have heard that vir 11 had some code permissions issues with external storage but not internal storage. Im not savvy with droid code but thought some one here would have a suggestion.

Reactions: Sherry Perez
First thanks for the quick reply. Sorry miss typed its a REVVL 6 PR0. Heres the rub regarding the workday company. I have attempted several times to reach tech at the company with no luck , even tried to contact the developer through play store. They provide no assistance saying contact your IT rep. Its my wifes phone she works at a small hospital her "IT" is the HR lady who's only suggestion was "just turn the phone off and on" lol. So basicly im her IT guy, the app works fine on my samsung so I feel its an compatibility issue with the Vir 12. Also on a side note for anyone considering this phone, its sub par it was inexpensive and it shows. She got it to upgrade the camera and screen. Both are lacking, the only positive note is it didnt have a bunch of bloatware to deal with. Im sure most of you are like me, I have a workaround I can use my phone to access the data but when I run into a tech problem on a device I just have to figure it out, it bugs the heck out of me , its personal now

Upvote 0
First thanks for the quick reply. Sorry miss typed its a REVVL 6 PR0. Heres the rub regarding the workday company. I have attempted several times to reach tech at the company with no luck , even tried to contact the developer through play store. They provide no assistance saying contact your IT rep. Its my wifes phone she works at a small hospital her "IT" is the HR lady who's only suggestion was "just turn the phone off and on" lol. So basicly im her IT guy, the app works fine on my samsung so I feel its an compatibility issue with the Vir 12. Also on a side note for anyone considering this phone, its sub par it was inexpensive and it shows. She got it to upgrade the camera and screen. Both are lacking, the only positive note is it didnt have a bunch of bloatware to deal with. Im sure most of you are like me, I have a workaround I can use my phone to access the data but when I run into a tech problem on a device I just have to figure it out, it bugs the heck out of me , its personal now
i don't think its android. i think that its because your wife has what we call an "off brand" phone. these are smaller manufacturers that offer low budget phones. but with tech, you get what you pay for. and they offer little to no support at all. i'm not surprised that it has issues on her phone.

here read this about off branded phones. its an old thread here, but it still applies.
https://androidforums.com/threads/off-brand-phones-and-tablets-worth-the-low-cost.631594/

Upvote 0
i don't think its android. i think that its because your wife has what we call an "off brand" phone. these are smaller manufacturers that offer low budget phones. but with tech, you get what you pay for. and they offer little to no support at all. i'm not surprised that it has issues on her phone.

here read this about off branded phones. its an old thread here, but it still applies.
https://androidforums.com/threads/off-brand-phones-and-tablets-worth-the-low-cost.631594/

Upvote 0

Great and relevant thread, thanks that kind of sums it up. I guess its lesson learned for her and I. I did try to steer her away from this device for fear of this.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I suppose this could be the issue. This is the T mobile branded flagship phone. The rep claimed its an LG but who knows. The later models were rebranded Motos as far as I can tell.
i would not call this a flagship phone. these are phones that are premium, top of the line phones, that manufacturers promote very heavily. this is just a phone that T-mobile is selling and nothing more. just remember you get what you pay for. if it is a cheap phone, than you are getting a cheap and never expect anything else from it.

Upvote 0
I suppose this could be the issue. This is the T mobile branded flagship phone. The rep claimed its an LG but who knows. The later models were rebranded Motos as far as I can tell.

From experience carrier house-brand/own-label phones usually come from lesser or unknown Chinese manufacturers, e.g. TCL, who often makes budget and mid-range house-brand phones for carriers. These are definitely NOT in the top-end flagship types, like say a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra is. And they can sometimes be...Good luck!..Here be dragons.

But I still think your problem "failed to make temp file directory" is a software bug that needs updating and fixing. Which is really something only the original developers can do, i.e. someone who has access to the "droid code" and can make it work correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When I said "Flagship phone" I ment this is the top of the T mobile branded devices. Everything works as expected for a $250 upgrade. I know that this type of forum is full of people who root and code these things and hoped someone had a workaround or had heard of a known issue. Its not a big problem just a nuisance, thanks for the time you've invested in replying, I appreciate your input. I did finaly get a reply from T Mobile tech and they have had a few other "fail to make temp dir" issues so I put in a service order, I'll see where that goes.
Thanks again for everyones kind and helpful replies.

Upvote 0
Keep us posted on what they do for you. Or if an update fixes the issue.
Hi, I wanted to take a moment to thank you all once more. I know people drop in here with problems never to be heard from again. Just to put a pin in this heres the update. The T-mobile Revv is just as you said a "get what you pay for device." I tweaked, I fussed I even tried the basically comical tech support. All with no joy on the file write issue. I came to a few conclusions, the T-mobile vir of 12 has a write permission issue. I took the phone to the local Corp store and with great difficulty feed them the phone and got a Samsung with credit for the Revv. The Samsung vir of android is way better, the hardware is better, my wife is happy, lesson learned. I found the reference post very helpful and even though I'm not as qualified to offer help as most of you are I will pay it forward by dropping in and offering any help I can here. You all gave me the info I needed to get past the wall of BS that Boost T- mobile feed me. We are thankful for your time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones